Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I'll have one of them
Old 17 October 2000, 04:13 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'll reserve judgement until I see it tomorrow.

Looks better than the road car though ( IMHHHHHHHO )
Old 17 October 2000, 04:19 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Looks OK to me - I'll have one!!!
Old 17 October 2000, 04:28 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So....

we've seen what parts STI has available...

we've seen a prototype of the real WRC car...

IMHO prodrive should/will start to offer wings etc so that us humble scooby owners can attempt to make our road cars look like the real thing.

I tell you what....it doesn't look half as bad as the road going version

Ian
(still need to see it in the flesh to be convinced)

[This message has been edited by igratton (edited 17 October 2000).]
Old 17 October 2000, 04:47 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have to say I think that looks pretty awesome.

Prodrive...start stamping out those headlamp conversion kits by the thousands now to avoid disappointment...and Mike...make sure you're paid on commission hehehe!!

I can see those bonnets filtering to the road cars as well as some 2 dr coupes and a nice ltd. edition 22B style wide bodied road going version etc....better start saving...is this similar to what you test drove Mellow Yellow??

There's hope yet,

Nito
Old 17 October 2000, 05:53 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I see gold alloys are back in favour then !!!
Old 17 October 2000, 06:10 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I noticed that too daz....must say I think the rally car looks better with gold IMHO!!
Old 17 October 2000, 07:34 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

So, will there be 2 door versions then?
(Edit: oops, it's a 4 door. I'll get me coat...)

[This message has been edited by chiark (edited 17 October 2000).]
Old 17 October 2000, 08:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

looks better than the road car.

The bonnet makes no sense to me though?

The intercooler exit has a low presure generating forward lip that is there to extract the hot air from the intercooler. Thats OK, normal practice.

The thing is, right behind it is the air scoop for the airbox that houses the airfilter on the current WRC car. If they still have this config then the airbox will be drawing in hot air, very bad idea.

So either they are not using the scoop for anything functional on the new WRC car or the mock up is a bodge to get pictures out or they have fugged up.

On top of that this design would mean the crews cold air feed on the roof would be fed by hot air from the intercooler as well. Cant see Richard and Robert putting up with that design.

Nope, thats a mock up, you wont see that bonnet on a rally stage, it wouldnt work.
(I hope they havent fugged up like they did with the original Impreza when they put the spot lights on Ari Vatenens car on the 1000 lakes and the water sprays on the intercooler reverse flowed and rained all over ari's windscreen)

You reading this prodrive?
Old 17 October 2000, 08:24 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The view looking down on the car looks really good. Other views not so good.
Still not totally sold on it, although I agree it does look better than the road version.

Chris
Old 17 October 2000, 08:52 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

errr, nope. Still don't like it. When will this sad obsession with oval headlights stop. You would have thought that people would have learned from the Scorpio.

But the Japanese do like 'cute' bug eyed things. look at Anime (sp) drawings. Pokemon etc.

Ho Hum. Still glad I can't fit or afford it.

P.
Old 17 October 2000, 09:40 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Looks great compared to the road car even though it looks a bit Ford'ish from the front!
Do Subaru think we do not want anything like this? I would buy one but definitely not the road car.
It will be interesting to see how the new model sells, and the length of the waiting list - if any at all.
Old 17 October 2000, 10:51 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Cool

i just got back from press day, the road car looks much better in the flesh, and feels very familiar when sat inside, except for the awful carbon fibre gear change **** in the WR blue car i sat in

the rally car looks great the track now looks very wide giving the whole car a very aggresive four square appearance, the new headlights are gas discharge main and dip beam, so if you are saving for them start saving big lumps of cash. the rear spoiler is not the finished item, the true one is staying on the secret list until nearer the WRc debut of the new car in Monte Carlo in January
Old 17 October 2000, 10:59 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>looks better than the road car.

The bonnet makes no sense to me though?

The intercooler exit has a low presure generating forward lip that is there to extract the hot air from the intercooler. Thats OK, normal practice.

The thing is, right behind it is the air scoop for the airbox that houses the airfilter on the current WRC car. If they still have this config then the airbox will be drawing in hot air, very bad idea.

So either they are not using the scoop for anything functional on the new WRC car or the mock up is a bodge to get pictures out or they have fugged up.

On top of that this design would mean the crews cold air feed on the roof would be fed by hot air from the intercooler as well. Cant see Richard and Robert putting up with that design.

Nope, thats a mock up, you wont see that bonnet on a rally stage, it wouldnt work.
(I hope they havent fugged up like they did with the original Impreza when they put the spot lights on Ari Vatenens car on the 1000 lakes and the water sprays on the intercooler reverse flowed and rained all over ari's windscreen)

You reading this prodrive? [/quote]

John, they appear to have air intakes above the headlights so maybe they feed through to the airbox. The bonnet doesn't seem to fit very well though so could well be a mock up.
As for the intercooler bonnet vent; wouldn't this just be to lower the air pressure under the bonnet a bit as at speed most of the heat would be going under the bonnet due to the airflow through the intercooler. As for the scoop; maybe its just feeding air down through to the engine bay to help extract the warm air building up; maybe some clever ducting.
BUT hey I'm only guessing this is more your field than mine.
Old 17 October 2000, 11:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought those headlights may have air intakes but couldnt tell from the photos.

As a rally car spends most of its time sideways, 2 cold air feeds at the corners would make sense.

If they have done that then the intercooler outley may be OK, it would still feed hot air to the crew though.

If you look at the current model they use 2 periscopes either side of the bonet to vent to atmosphere the intercooler. You actually get better airflow/cooling by having smaller outlet ports from rads and intercoolers than a big wide open vent, this is because the airflow speeds up as it passes through a smaller exit than inlet and is more eficient.

Take a look at the McLaren F1 car, they vent via 2 periscopes now, these actually give some forward thrust, seriously, gaining a slight amount of free forward force.

aerodynamics are freeky, i am not convinced on the bonnet.

Old 18 October 2000, 09:51 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

NITO,
Have to say not disimilar, the drive is something again, a lot more sure, grippier, smoother, exacting....
Old 18 October 2000, 12:00 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

I had the pleasure of seeing this car for real at the Motor Show today.

In my humble opinion as a wax maker I think the car looks great and cannot comment on the intrinsic details that John has noted.

Although Press Day means that one can roam around freely there was one hell of a lot of people on the Subaru Stand this afternoon.

My advice to anyone that is going to the show is to get there as early as possible and make a bee line for the Subaru stand as there will undoubtedly be some long queus.

I have in my possession some Subaru Press Packs complete with real photographs and I am considering auction one of these packs and donate the proceeeds to charity.

Anyone interested, make yer bid by email to me...highest bidder gets the pack.

Regards
WoW