Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you call it the 'classic'???

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 10:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you call it the 'classic'???

No-one else does.

It's the MK1 (+ facelift) then the Mk2 (with numerous facelifts).

No-one apart from scoobynetters with delusions of grandeur refer to the old/mk1 as 'classic'. Everyone else will see them (and any other make/model of car) as mk1,mk2 etc. Even other sites don't use this practice either.

Ultimately you can call the mk1 what you like, I don't care but come on, admit it, it's rather silly isn't it.
Old 29 March 2006, 10:10 PM
MrReee
Scooby Regular

It is a Classic, will remain the Classic and rightly so.

Subaru lost the plot with the Bug-Eye, grabbed a bit back with the Blob-Eye and have now dumped the lot down a big hole with the latest incarnation.

There is only ONE Impreza destined for CLASSIC status and that is the unmolested MK1 - hence we can call them Classics now.

Modified MK1s are not Classics, they are chavvie motors which will rot in the Council Estates - but, the clean original MK1 will always be the Classic!

MrReee
Old 29 March 2006, 10:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your post makes no sense. If enough people call it the "classic" for you to note that there is a tendency for people to call it the "classic" then your subsequent assertion that no-one does is completely redundant.

And it's because all newage scoobs WITHOUT EXCEPTION...

...fellate most distressingly.

Last edited by Bubba po; 29 March 2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 29 March 2006, 10:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I believe that International Motors ('Subaru UK') coined the phrase. They referred to the 'Classic' and the 'New Age'.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 29 March 2006, 10:25 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Your post makes no sense. If enough people call it the "classic" for you to note that there is a tendency for people to call it the "classic" then your subsequent assertion that no-one does is completely redundant.
That's my point, NO-ONE does apart from sad scoobynetters call it the classic. In other words, hardly anyone.

The MK1 Golf is a classic, but everyone still calls it the MK1, not 'the classic'.

I'm not denying that the car itself is a classic but to refer to it as 'the classic' instead of the MK1 is all rather sad.
Old 29 March 2006, 10:26 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

My mate owns the classic Ford Focus, not the new age crap.

Now do you realise how silly it all sounds???
Old 29 March 2006, 10:29 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

numerous aftermarket vendours refer to the mk1 as classic and mk2 as newage, so not just SNters
Old 29 March 2006, 10:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I believe that International Motors ('Subaru UK') coined the phrase. They referred to the 'Classic' and the 'New Age'.

Hope this helps

Simon
You asked and I answered; Ive quoted myself because you appear to have missed my reply. Its referred to as a 'Classic' because thats the name chosen by IM to differentiate between that model and the 'New Age' Impreza.
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
My mate owns the classic Ford Focus, not the new age crap.

Now do you realise how silly it all sounds???
I suppose it's because all Subaru enthusiasts know that with the newage they threw the baby out with the bathwater. The only reason why people buy new scoobs is because they can't bear the stigma of driving a six-year-old car.

There's only one Subaru Impreza.
MrReee
Scooby Regular

I think it sounds great - but I'm just a newbie.

I would rather say 'I drive a Classic' than, 'I have some knocklink lights on my dash'

One is sad, the other is REALLY sad! See what I mean?

MrReee
Old 29 March 2006, 10:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrReee
Squeek! Squeek! Squeek!
NBO Pete; are you a man or a mouse?
Old 29 March 2006, 10:37 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

That's my point, NO-ONE does apart from sad scoobynetters call it the classic. In other words, hardly anyone.

The MK1 Golf is a classic, but everyone still calls it the MK1, not 'the classic'.

I'm not denying that the car itself is a classic but to refer to it as 'the classic' instead of the MK1 is all rather sad.
8,441 posts, who is a sad scoobynetter bet you drive a MK1 FORD FIESTA POP1.1 get a life idjeet
Old 29 March 2006, 10:50 PM
scotteboy
Scooby Regular

the scooby is buy far a classic i have a my99 but the mk1 turned up and took over the planet buy buy cossie
Old 29 March 2006, 10:54 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Ive heard of Range Rovers of old being called "classics"
Old 29 March 2006, 10:55 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Plot lost I think
Old 29 March 2006, 10:59 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

How can you just say iv got a mark 1. When there were versions of it from 1 to 6. ?
Old 29 March 2006, 11:02 PM
scotteboy
Scooby Regular

classic as in ie the first model its all just scooby slang. we know what it means so who cares. only fools an horses thats a classic you could go on for ever ..............
Old 29 March 2006, 11:30 PM
Eckmcmann
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
How can you just say iv got a mark 1. When there were versions of it from 1 to 6. ?
thats exactly what I was thinking. there was only one version of the mk1 golf gti, hence being known as the mk1... but there is 6 versions of mk1 impreza's. so if someone had an Sti 5 we wouldn't call it a mk 1.5 would we basically I think we refer to all mk1 scoobs as classics because the nickname spans over the entire range of mk 1's
Old 30 March 2006, 06:51 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
8,441 posts, who is a sad scoobynetter bet you drive a MK1 FORD FIESTA POP1.1 get a life idjeet
I dream of the fiesta, I really do. Once I sell my 4.4 V8 daily car and my westfield I'm going for one. I must get the 'classic' model fiesta though

Anyway, it's not that serious a post, bit of a laugh and most people seem to appreciate I'm referring to the naming of the model rather than whether it's got classic status or not.

GC8 - cheers, missed your post. Thing is, what happens with the new impreza when it comes out? newer new age???
Old 30 March 2006, 07:08 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It can also cause confusion.

I recently met a SNer (fortunately he was not a geek) and I asked what car he had, he replied a "Classic", "ah, interesting, what sort of Classic" I replied.

I was thinking along the lines of an old 911, you know, something really cool and interesting.

....well you'll guess the rest.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:11 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you've got to do is look on eBay or on parts sites, they are all refer to "Classic" and "Newage".

I too think its a bit stupid and a broad description, but thats what everyone uses.. Its like trying to stop people from using slang in this day-and-age.. its not going to happen!
Old 30 March 2006, 07:15 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
It can also cause confusion.

I recently met a SNer (fortunately he was not a geek) and I asked what car he had, he replied a "Classic", "ah, interesting, what sort of Classic" I replied.

I was thinking along the lines of an old 911, you know, something really cool and interesting.

....well you'll guess the rest.
Was it a mint 93 WRX with a dump valve and no service history that fell off the back of a ferry ?

Steve
Old 30 March 2006, 07:16 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
All you've got to do is look on eBay or on parts sites, they are all refer to "Classic" and "Newage".
Everyone doesn't use it though. Seems to be only those in the scooby world that do.

Last edited by Dracoro; 30 March 2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 30 March 2006, 08:40 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Classic thread....
Old 30 March 2006, 09:36 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Everyone doesn't use it though. Seems to be only those in the scooby world that do.
Who else matters?
Old 30 March 2006, 09:45 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And whats the problem???
Old 30 March 2006, 10:16 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In the end of the day, if it designates the model from the others then that's enough, and it does roll off the tongue quite nicely. Subaru never used MK codes, so really you should start refering to chassis model codes

And to be frank, any designation that differentiates each model makes things alot easier: For some reason, some people think that all Imprezas are the same. This is certainly not the case and over the models 14 year lifespan it is a completely different car to what it orginally was.

Add to the confusion of a multitude of version numbers and letters which makes descirbing your particual model very difficult and long-winded....WRX, Sti,V2, V3, V4, V5, RB5 22B, RA to name a few. Then Subaru UK completely **** it up with "UK Branding" of WRX and Sti-s when JDM models are of different spec.

Back in the old days a WRX or STi was a Japanease market only car, and therefore an import. Now we have WRXs which are nothing like the original WRX with differing specs depedning on the market of origin it was built for.

So when some numpty newbie tool pops up on here posting "Which Zost for WRX...durr?" this could mean literally any model or shape of impreza.

Signifying which shape it is helps identify which model. Classic fits nicely (can't call it the old shape...that now belongs the blob eye )Obviously if your an anorak you can tell which model and shape from the model code and model year...unless it's a late registered cross-over year between classic/bug or bug/blob and blob/squinty (or chinky for non PC types ).

So if it helps identify exactly what the car is, what is the problem?

Some people consider an MGB GT as a classic car, and I roll on the floor laughing. So I can see the point if the word "classic" was used in direct context. Like SeriesIII Jag XJ6s and XJSs, it'll never be a classic - there is just too many sh1tbox examples out there on the road...just like the Impreza!

I only use the word "classic" as a brief desciption of model, defining and clarifying it as the original shape Impreza (MY97 Turbo 2000 AWD is a bit long winded ) . But it certainly will not be a "classic car" for a very very long time.

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 March 2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 30 March 2006, 11:06 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

EVO magazine use it
Old 30 March 2006, 11:07 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you're just jealous because you don't drive a classic car!
Old 30 March 2006, 11:27 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
EVO magazine use it
oh look they do.

Does it really matter if anyone else in the world doesn't, we do
( an the uneducated soon know as well )

Quick Reply: Why do you call it the 'classic'???