Sponsored by:

Powdercoating wheels????

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 08:24 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating wheels????

My brother does powdercoating in his job, So has the tools to Powdercoat my wheels, but he powdercoats hand railings and stuff that usually stays static.

The question I ask is how would he powdercoat my wheels and how many coats would he have to give them and does anyone with a bit of powdercoating knowledge run me through a step by step guide, as the last thing I want is my wheels to start cracking after a few weeks.

Sorry for the daft question but, I want to be a sure before I start powdercoating my £1k wheels!

Thanks
Old 22 March 2006, 08:28 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

i know of a few people that have had there's done cost them £50 per wheel looks good but other than that pass
Old 22 March 2006, 08:29 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

powerdercoating of wheels is said to not such a good idea, they might look good etc but the oven temperature to bake the powerder into a painty type plastic is very high and makes the wheels brittle. a special low temp powerder coating procedure is needed for wheels. some tracks wont let a car run with powdercoated wheels unless they have proof they where powdercoated properly and the lower temp. hope this helps.
Old 22 March 2006, 08:36 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

You'll need the original paint removed before powdering, shot blasted etc.

Also you only have 1 coat of powder as the name suggests the powder goes on in an electrostatic process as powder then cooked, where the powder melts & produces the painted finish.

He'll need to make sure that the paint is fairly evenly applied with no bare patches. You can re-apply but really needs to be re-preped to keep the finish nice.

Need to cook the powder at the paints recomended heat & duration, too high "could" have a detrimental effect on the wheel..

I've had some done before but not that keen on the finish quality. Generally powder finishes are not really used for cosmetic parts hence the hand railing he paints...Although I'm sure a good finish is achievable if you know what your doing
Old 22 March 2006, 08:45 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Seems like hard work, and im a bit worried about the powdercoating cracking under really high temp or weakning the alloys when putting the wheels in the baking booth.

I think I might spray them Gloss Black as I have the spray guns, paint and workshop to do it.

Thanks for explaining it guys!
Old 22 March 2006, 09:10 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
My brother does powdercoating in his job, So has the tools to Powdercoat my wheels, but he powdercoats hand railings and stuff that usually stays static.

The question I ask is how would he powdercoat my wheels sorry for the daft question but, I want to be a sure before I start powdercoating my £1k wheels!

Thanks
try pressing on your brakes and firmly applying the handbrake and when your car is stationary he should be able to spray them.

couldnt resist.
Old 22 March 2006, 09:26 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
try pressing on your brakes and firmly applying the handbrake and when your car is stationary he should be able to spray them.

couldnt resist.
But how would I drive the car into the baking booth for the powdercoat to heat up.