Sponsored by:

engines damaged by incorrect fuel

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 09:40 PM
middxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engines damaged by incorrect fuel

out of curiosity,how many people here have damaged their engines by not knowing of octane boosters,and by simply using std uk 95/98 ron fuels in their imports?are we talking a handful or 10's 20's...
Old 13 March 2006, 09:51 PM
scogsywrx
Scooby Regular

when i first got me scoob(my93wrx)....i melted piston No3 and was told that it was due to incorrect fuelling.....not sure wether this was true or not cos the mechanics right fooked me about so could of been a load of tosh.....
Old 13 March 2006, 09:53 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The fuel doesn't damage their engines. Driving the bollocks off them at 140-plus does that.

HTH.
Old 13 March 2006, 10:05 PM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

Was reading an article posted on sidc stating that because some of the shell refineries have shut down shell stations are being supplied by b.p. or the nearest refinery so you really never know if it is optimax or 95 ron that you are filling up with. Think this has been a problem up here in scotland with guys seeing high det on rolling roads and the general 'wellbeing' of their cars suffer even when they think they have filled up with optimax.
Old 13 March 2006, 10:11 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by P1 NUT
Was reading an article posted on sidc stating that because some of the shell refineries have shut down shell stations are being supplied by b.p. or the nearest refinery so you really never know if it is optimax or 95 ron that you are filling up with. Think this has been a problem up here in scotland with guys seeing high det on rolling roads and the general 'wellbeing' of their cars suffer even when they think they have filled up with optimax.
Under the sales of goods act, they would have to display notices stating that it was BP ultimate or whatever is coming out of the pumps if it is not Shell Optimax.
Old 13 March 2006, 11:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engines damaged by wrong fuel ........ HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

A ScoobyNet Myth my friend peddled by those selling re-mapps, cocklinks and Octane Boosters ........... look how stupid they look wearing those Det Cans?? Would YOU trust someone like THAT??

Engines are shagged by ****** driving them within an inch of their mechanical life ............ and, rather than admitting to being a complete **** ........... they blame the fuel or det or wrong map or bad fuel or timing slip or heatsoak or anything else they can blind you with.

Nah, engines are destroyed by complete numpties who haven't the first clue about driving properly!

Pete
Old 13 March 2006, 11:22 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

have to agree with pete unfortunately..i was told by my mechanic the exact same thing..he said the car will be fine on 95 as there is no other fuel available in ireland as long as i dont drive the nuts off the car which i dont..i have my jdm sti a year now and havent had one problem..

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2006, 11:56 PM
scogsywrx
Scooby Regular

excactly......
Old 14 March 2006, 07:43 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Sad to say, I think I agree with Pete on this one (but at least it's not politics). I had an JDM STI for nearly 5 years with no problems (running on 97 RON then Optimax when it came out). Then it was stolen and in one night of presumably spirited driving the thieves managed to blow up the engine.
Old 14 March 2006, 07:50 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
Sad to say, I think I agree with Pete on this one (but at least it's not politics). I had an JDM STI for nearly 5 years with no problems (running on 97 RON then Optimax when it came out). Then it was stolen and in one night of presumably spirited driving the thieves managed to blow up the engine.
I wonder how much harder than Subaru testing your car was driven on that one night?
Old 14 March 2006, 08:00 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
The fuel doesn't damage their engines. Driving the bollocks off them at 140-plus does that.

HTH.
DAMN RIGHT!

Yes a lower octane fuel could mean some very slight knock at the top end, but combine that with driving like a pr1ck and this is why engines blow up!

Even the super-dooper-high-octange-mega-special-overpriced fuel isn't what it says on the pump, the octane rating is higher when it leaves the refinery (because the level drops during storage and transport) and the number on the pump is an approximation of what it should be by the time it comes out of the nozzle.

And all this b*llocks about getting your fuel from certain garages.. Do you realise how few depots there are in this country? Most garages in a certain area will be getting their fuel from the same supplier!

There also seems to be some view that say Tescos fuel is some how worse than the BP nextdoor... "It must be because its cheaper"??? Err no! Its the same reason Tescos sell milk at a loss, they make millions of pounds of profit every week so they can afford to sell petrol at a loss to get the punters into the shop.

Last edited by [Davey]; 14 March 2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 14 March 2006, 08:31 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

I have a 93wrx jdm, and have no problems running on Optimax, Tesco99, or Esso Supreme, without octane booster. I have even used small amounts of 95ron petrol for a couple of short periods taking it easy, but do try and keep to 97+ ron.

I drive hard at times, but only for short periods, and I religiously warm/cool the engine as required. I also keep to service intervals. My motor has covered more than 100k miles (about 10k on UK fuel).

In regards to any difference in performance, it is hard to notice between the SUL brands TBH.

Beware of scaremongery and bllsht, a lot of people see this site as a way to make money. Either that or there are a lot of **** people around.
Old 14 March 2006, 08:33 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scogsywrx
when i first got me scoob(my93wrx)....i melted piston No3 and was told that it was due to incorrect fuelling.....not sure wether this was true or not cos the mechanics right fooked me about so could of been a load of tosh.....
iirc they didnt have high octane fuel in japan in 93 so your car "should" in theory work fine on 95 ron.

Old 14 March 2006, 09:14 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell ..... I'm SHOCKED

Usually I get nailed if I say anything like I said above - ScoobyNet has grown-up, has a more balanced readership and an intelligence I can be proud of.

The ***** and scaremongerers appearto have had their day

Common sense is showing through!!!

The Impreza is a normal car with normal needs ... it is NOT some supercar which needs attention every lap of Tescos car park ... and therin lies its greatness.

Pete
Old 14 March 2006, 09:34 AM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
iirc they didnt have high octane fuel in japan in 93 so your car "should" in theory work fine on 95 ron.

Where did that come from? 100 ron unleaded has been readily available in japan since about 1987 when they phased out leaded fuels.
However, did read somewhere that they were mapped for 98 ron fuel thou, presumebly so they could run happily on either their 96 or 100 ron fuels, quoted power levels are on the hi-octane fuels but their not alone in doing that.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:08 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Usually I get nailed if I say anything like I said above - ScoobyNet has grown-up, has a more balanced readership and an intelligence I can be proud of.

The Impreza is a normal car with normal needs ... it is NOT some supercar which needs attention every lap of Tescos car park ... and therin lies its greatness.

Pete
Let's hope so regarding A's & S's, and over all, well said!
Old 14 March 2006, 10:32 AM
middxsti
Scooby Regular

Pete
rightly said
Its some of the scaremongers that nearly put me off buying my first impreza -oooh you have to put this knocklink,this octane,that octane,this secial fuel,remap,can't remap your car can't be remapped.........
i know people with supra tt's,celica gt4's,skylines,all imports who run their cars on sul with no problems-so why is the impreza so different?
also just to clarify,is it true you can only get 100ron in japan,surely their must be 98 ron as well!
Old 14 March 2006, 11:47 AM
krazy
Scooby Regular

no its not true, the standard petrols you can get in japan are 91, 96 and 100 ron.
Old 14 March 2006, 12:13 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by middxsti
i know people with supra tt's,celica gt4's,skylines,all imports who run their cars on sul with no problems-so why is the impreza so different?l!
Its not, infact the engine is a right old Battle-axe! People are just scared because the flat-four configuraton seems out of the norm..
Old 14 March 2006, 12:25 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Detonation does exist though, and it can after time seriously damage engines.

Pistons do melt. (seen some) but this is probably due to another fault and then being ragged.

If (and its a big if) an imports ECU cannot retard enough to prevent det on 95 then damage could occur.

Does anyone know if an import ECU is mapped for 100 and can it retard enough ?

I run my UK STi on 95, because its designed to and I don't worry. If an import is designed not to run on 95, but is specified to run on 98, then thats what I would use. If it was specified to run only on 100, then I would get a remap from a respected garage.

Last edited by Gary C; 14 March 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 14 March 2006, 12:37 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

IMHO The ECU should retard until pre-ignition is illiminated.. The problem is it will keep attempting to advance the timing until pre-ignition is detected again and round we go.
Old 14 March 2006, 01:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
IMHO The ECU should retard until pre-ignition is illiminated.. The problem is it will keep attempting to advance the timing until pre-ignition is detected again and round we go.
I have been saying this for years .... the ECU will 'TEST' the timing constantly .... it will advance until it hears knock and then retard until it doesn't .... then advance again.

But you get some who come on here and state garbage like,

"The ECU from MY99 and MY00 cannot adjust properly" WTF??

"The MAF on the MY99 and MY00 is known to be weak" WTF??

Define weak and who knows!!??

Trouble is, some geeky **** will post something on a website, something completely false ..... it gets picked up and spreads like Chinese whispers ... those that don't have a clue just take it as gospel and get scared stiff and end up wasting money chasing some dream of utopia

Luckily I am an Engineer and know how these things work ... and can spot a piece of **** advice a mile off, so don't scare easy ....

I am a proud poster today ... we have seen the intelligent, the wise, the grown up actually post sense ..... common sense!!

Pete
Old 14 March 2006, 02:57 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Remember a friend who rebuilt his mini engine with the wrong crank, pushed the compression ratio too high and it detonated to death in about 3000 miles. Burnt a hole through one of the valves and part of the seat away.

Detonation can cause damage. But with knock detection it should be eliminated. Can modern ECU's tell if the knock sensor is working ?, if the ECU does not hear anything for a while, does the ECU flag up a check engine ?, or does it keep advancing the timing ?
Old 14 March 2006, 04:15 PM
slammedmind
Scooby Regular

to answer your question yes mine lasted a week on **** 95ron irish fuel....before you jump in and say i have no idea what im on about i have owned many a performance car, just finished building a 240+bhp starlet
Old 14 March 2006, 04:52 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Quick question, why do Prodrive say you 'must' use SUL on the Pre 99 PPP, if the ECU is so fecking clever wouldn't it be able to sort itself out? Or are they getting kickbacks from the petrol stations?
Old 14 March 2006, 05:44 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been saying this for years .... the ECU will 'TEST' the timing constantly .... it will advance until it hears knock and then retard until it doesn't .... then advance again.

But you get some who come on here and state garbage like,

"The ECU from MY99 and MY00 cannot adjust properly" WTF??

"The MAF on the MY99 and MY00 is known to be weak" WTF??

Define weak and who knows!!??

Trouble is, some geeky **** will post something on a website, something completely false ..... it gets picked up and spreads like Chinese whispers ... those that don't have a clue just take it as gospel and get scared stiff and end up wasting money chasing some dream of utopia

Luckily I am an Engineer and know how these things work ... and can spot a piece of **** advice a mile off, so don't scare easy ....

I am a proud poster today ... we have seen the intelligent, the wise, the grown up actually post sense ..... common sense!!

Pete
Nought like blowing your own trumpet is there eh Pete? I drive my car hard as it was designed to be driven.If I was going to pussyfoot everywhere then I would have a diesel something or the other. I am not an engineer but do feel I have a modicum of intelligence. I religiously fill up with optimax and octane booster and have never had a problem with my car which incidentally has not been re-mapped. The effects of lower grade petrol have been explicitlly shown time and time again. Actual experiences not chinese whispers as Pete suggests. Its alright saying well don't drive the car hard but that is the Impreza's raison d' etre, that's why I bought the effing thing. Each to his own but the cautionary advice given regarding fuel quality and mechanical shortcomings is worth noting. That is my opinion you guys make your own mind up.

regards Maz
Old 14 March 2006, 05:59 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Yes a lower octane fuel could mean some very slight knock at the top end, but combine that with driving like a pr1ck and this is why engines blow up!
One question about this statement.

If (and its a big if again) the ECU was designed by Subaru japan to run on 100ron and its retard range meant that it could only cope with down to 97 (unlikely but possible) then it would not be slight knock, but considerable knock if run on 95 (which could actually be 94 even 93 ? based on the "98 is often 97 or 96 by the time its used" argument ?).

I'm not saying that all imports will blow the minute they are run in the UK, but I think that suggesting that its ok for all import owners to run on 95 (considering that it is a performance car and wil be used as such) may be dangerous.

PS, I too am a qualified enjunear .
Old 14 March 2006, 06:04 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary C
One question about this statement.

If (and its a big if again) the ECU was designed by Subaru japan to run on 100ron and its retard range meant that it could only cope with down to 97 (unlikely but possible) then it would not be slight knock, but considerable knock if run on 95 (which could actually be 94 even 93 ? based on the "98 is often 97 or 96 by the time its used" argument ?).

I'm not saying that all imports will blow the minute they are run in the UK, but I think that suggesting that its ok for all import owners to run on 95 (considering that it is a performance car and wil be used as such) may be dangerous.

Hard hat on standby.
Old 14 March 2006, 07:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

No hard hat needed ....... the common sense boys are now outnumbering the ***** on ScoobyNet.

About time too ....... no longer the haven for geeks, it's turning into a GENUINE car BBS where sense is spoken rather than utter claptrap bollox to massage some **** egos

And I am entitled to blow my opwn trumpet ... it has taken 6 years to win through ...

My work here may be done ........... I may wander off somewhere else ....
JUST JOKING!!!!!! I'm staying to keep you all under strict Common Sense Control!!

Pete
Old 14 March 2006, 07:37 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C

No.. The question was regarding "Special fuels" and "Ocatane Boosters".. I am merely implying SUL out of the pump is fine even if it comes from a supermarket (shock horror!).

Quick Reply: engines damaged by incorrect fuel