Sponsored by:

Can I get my burble back?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2006, 01:19 AM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I get my burble back?

I've had my MY03 STi for a couple of months now and have learned the gearbox is **** and the ride is weird,but the thing I miss most is the glorious sound of my old MY00 Turbo 2000,so i'd like to know,is it possible to get that wonderfull noise back?
Would the PPP give me the sound and handling or would I have to change the exhaust and go for the Prodrive spring kit separately?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received
Old 04 March 2006, 01:23 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prodrive exhaust gives an unbelieveable change to the standard sti zorst note. sounds a lot more burbley. get it. full ppp if you can afford although i know of big discounts to be had on blobeye ppp as the o6 ppp is out soon
Old 04 March 2006, 01:26 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

also from what i know of the ride in a classic i dont think prodrive springs will make it similar. prodrive springs will stiffen it up abit, make it sharper but i remmber my mates classic being soft and the nose really lifting when booting it.
Old 04 March 2006, 06:34 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From my understanding you need to change the headers t get that scooby burble, i know this is the case on the sport, not sure if the turbo has this issue, but alocal chap near me has a wagon turbo and has no burble at all, not even a deep throaty sound, change those headers to unequal length ones !!!!!!!
Old 04 March 2006, 06:52 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If the gearbox is so ****e, i have a nice 5 speed set up i can swop you for it. I wont even charge you anything
Old 04 March 2006, 08:29 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Rig
From my understanding you need to change the headers t get that scooby burble, i know this is the case on the sport, not sure if the turbo has this issue, but alocal chap near me has a wagon turbo and has no burble at all, not even a deep throaty sound, change those headers to unequal length ones !!!!!!!
Dont they all come with un-equal headers as stadnard? The standard system is just too dampening so you loose the sound. The other halfs WRX sounded like a chinook with the straight through pipe, now with a new full standard system it makes very little noise, just sounds like a regular car at the **** end.
Old 04 March 2006, 10:20 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Dont they all come with un-equal headers as stadnard? The standard system is just too dampening so you loose the sound. The other halfs WRX sounded like a chinook with the straight through pipe, now with a new full standard system it makes very little noise, just sounds like a regular car at the **** end.

i think it is standard, but since he`s saying he doesnt have the burble, maybe spme1 changed them ?? but as pointed out ^^, maybe the sound proofing is too good !!

dunno why that local chap has no burble on his wagon, it went passed me as i was walking and i didnt even notice it until it went past.
Old 20 May 2006, 08:13 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Hi'yall
I'm back and still haven't done a thing about my original problem but i'd be interested to hear from any other MY03STi owners who have upgraded their exhausts to regain that glorious sound.
I previously fitted a Scorpion system to my old MY00 turbo 2000 and that's the sound i'm trying to get back.
Suggestions please troops........
Jim
Old 20 May 2006, 08:49 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

If the gearbox is so crap, the ride is crap and it sounds **** WHY DID YOU BUY IT?

Sorry but i have to ask?
Old 20 May 2006, 08:50 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
If the gearbox is so crap, the ride is crap and it sounds **** WHY DID YOU BUY IT?

Sorry but i have to ask?
You really are a **** eh?
Old 20 May 2006, 08:52 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
I guess i must be..... LOL
Old 20 May 2006, 09:10 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
Just read you are a ******* teenager who cant even drive yet, And you call me ****?

How would your friends at scoobycity feel about your attitude while promoting their site?

I wont expect an answer tonight as it's well past your bed time......
Old 20 May 2006, 09:45 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Standard newage WRX and STI exhaust are cack! As above many a scoob has gone past me on street with standard zorst and I hardly heard them go past. Ive got PPP one on my STI and it sounds so much better. My mate got full Scorpion system fitted to his UK300 and it sounds even better than mine! Reckon standard exhaust is so restrictive and dampened that all the Scoob rumble is lost.
Old 20 May 2006, 10:20 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Sorry but i have to ask?
Well a test drive is ok but these things dont reveal themselves until you've had it for a while.
Anyhoo....i've got used to the gearbox,still find the ride a bit weird at times but on balance I love the car.

anthscooby01.......thanks for some constructive input
Old 20 May 2006, 11:37 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

If your just after the burble then change the back box mate, and maybe the resonator pipe. Thats it. if you want more then PPP or power eng. ecutek remap, way ahead

Willsy
Old 21 May 2006, 11:08 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to change the exhaust system to get a decent burble sound, just like you have to on an MY00 as if you have never heard one with the standard exhaust on you wouldnt know they made a burble sound either!
Change everything from the downpipe back as the backbox is normally the most expensive part and your going to eventually change the rest.....

Tony
Old 21 May 2006, 11:25 AM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position - changed my lovely burbley de-catted MY99 Turbo to an 04 Sti8.

The UK cars do have unequal length headers so it is down to the exhaust system. I will be changeing to a de-cat centre and replacing the back box soon. Happy with the power just need a sound track to go with it!

If you want more power with your burble, then go for the de-cat downpipe and maybe play with the air filter/induction system and get a re-map. careful of your warranty though going this route.
Old 21 May 2006, 11:38 AM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
Old 21 May 2006, 12:31 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy boo
Well a test drive is ok but these things dont reveal themselves until you've had it for a while.
Anyhoo....i've got used to the gearbox,still find the ride a bit weird at times but on balance I love the car.
It was a serious question,And your answer is quite valid, but i like the gearbox on mine, and as for the ride it could be alot worse!,As for the sound mine's ppp'd and sound I think really nice, So a decent exhaust will bring it back to life,They are great cars and too many people on here Knock them, even if the own one , Enjoy it
Old 22 May 2006, 08:37 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

tsl group n bb with centre deresonator
martin
Old 22 May 2006, 06:53 PM
BasingstokeScooby
Scooby Newbie

Change the back box. I've got an 06 WRX and the noise from the exhaust is non-existent. I changed it for a prodrive box after my mates reckoned the standard back box sounded like a ******* Micra

Sounds great now.
Old 11 October 2006, 09:48 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Right,sorry to keep going on but within a couple of weeks i'll be buying a back box.....the choice seems to be heading for Ninja,RaceBox,TSL or H&S.....the Ninja sounds awesome on scoobyworlds website

I just have a couple of questions though......

Which would give the deep burble we all love without the drone intruding into the cabin at motorway speeds or any speed for that matter?

What is the advantage of changing the centre section to a higher flow one?
Does that affect the sound too?

Jim
Old 12 October 2006, 01:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Right,sorry to keep going on but within a couple of weeks i'll be buying a back box.....the choice seems to be heading for Ninja,RaceBox,TSL or H&S.....the Ninja sounds awesome on scoobyworlds website

I just have a couple of questions though......

Which would give the deep burble we all love without the drone intruding into the cabin at motorway speeds or any speed for that matter?

What is the advantage of changing the centre section to a higher flow one?
Does that affect the sound too?

Jim
Jimmy, if you're thinking of going to the Ninja, wait for the Ninja 2! I have a H&S original design backbox, decat resonated centre section, and sports cat Ninja DP. It's about perfect in my classic, sounds great, turns heads, doesn't p*ss off the neighbours, any louder would be a chore on motorways.

Centre section decat without the resonator increases noise and drone, esp at motorway speeds- I tried it and replaced it with a resonated centre section shortly after.

Personally, I'd stick with the backbox for now (which will significantly improve things) and wait till you can afford to do the rest of the exhaust completely and (i.e. Sports cat on the DP and decat centre section with resonator, fuel pump and a remap. Then you'll get the full acoustic and power benefits!

NS04
Old 25 October 2006, 04:29 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone for their advice over the last few months

Today I had the TSL Group N BB fitted and i'm delighted that my burble is definetely back

Many thanks also to John at TSL for an excellent product and a fast,efficient and friendly service.......i'll know where to go first when the bug bites again

Jim
Old 25 October 2006, 05:02 PM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

pics up now mate
Old 25 October 2006, 05:13 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ibiza_Cupra
pics up now mate
You are joking...i'm a complete technophobe

Is this allowed?

TSL MOTORSPORT | Subaru Saab Mitsubishi | parts | repair | servicing | performance tuning | UK
Old 25 October 2006, 05:26 PM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

lol, let you off just for that effort !
Old 25 October 2006, 05:27 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sorry but i have to ask?
I've been asking myself that question everyday for the past 6 years

Official announcement: It will be sold soon....you heard it here first folks
Old 25 October 2006, 08:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Thanks to everyone for their advice over the last few months

Today I had the TSL Group N BB fitted and i'm delighted that my burble is definetely back

Many thanks also to John at TSL for an excellent product and a fast,efficient and friendly service.......i'll know where to go first when the bug bites again

Jim
Bargain at £175. How loud at motorway speed? Another happy customer by the sound of it
Old 26 October 2006, 12:23 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Bargain at £175. How loud at motorway speed? Another happy customer by the sound of it
At motorway speed it's just the same as the standard BB from inside the cabin.
I was driving round town yesterday with the windows down and a big smile on my face

Yes,a very satisfied customer indeed.......now....about that decat centre section