Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i buy a WRX?? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 08:27 PM
J Bee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got a Golf GTi 1.8 Turbo - like the interior and build quality but am thinking about buying a new WRX with the prodrive performance pack...but i need persuading!! is the Impreza good and refined on the motorway as well as being a drivers car?? Please please any help or advice to swing the decision would be greatly appreciated! do you think i'll miss the refinement of my golf? or will i be totally convinced on a day to day basis? HELP!

Any new shape WRX owners? verdicts please! any ex golf gti owners who have bought scoobs??

[Edited by J Bee - 10/18/2001 9:02:47 PM]
Old 18 October 2001, 08:50 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

You'll be totally convinced - trust me, I'm trust worthy. I brought one and I'm notoriously tight with money. I don't even mind the huge fuel bill.
Old 18 October 2001, 08:51 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

J Bee,

Don't think you'll regret it. Go for a test drive and find out for yourself. Can't speak for the new WRX but the old shape......nuff said.

Welcome.
Old 18 October 2001, 09:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are not as well built inside as the Golf. Overall reliability is at least as good. Depreciation also good. Insurance and petrol costs, along with frequent servicing not so good. Motorway manners nothing like a Golf - firmer ride and much more noise.

But acceleration and grip are on another planet.

If you are prepared to put up with the compromises, then go for it. But if you want something bordering on civilised go for the new shape.

If you have the cash consider a BMW 330D or 330iSE. They have fantastic engines, great build, excellent ride and handling, low depreciation, good insurance and overall would be a good compromise if you want a car you do a lot of miles in. They have just improved the cosmetics, steering rack and chassis too. The 330 petrol version is about as quick as a MY01 Scoob without PPP, and much more refined. But it doesn't cover a twisty road quite as quick as the Scooby, especially in the wet, but can be very swift nonetheless.
Old 18 October 2001, 11:00 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Cool

had BMW 323 , got my98 drive was great ,but ! build quality was , well i do not want to upset to many . lets say its a bit like
jordan , great under carriage but not much on top!!!!
WRX got one a week ago, STILL WAITING FOR PPP.
However can't complain about build quality.
Not sure but at moment feels a tiny bit slower, not much though.
Every thing else is a fair bit better, apart from eyes like Ann Widdicombe.
Ths can be resolved by a visit to your local dealer and spending another £650 on UK300 lights.
21k on WRX, 1.6k on ppp, £650 lights.
No other car can come close for the money!
HAVE TO WAIT for ppp
got a thing about ppp, sorry

Old 18 October 2001, 11:05 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Sorry m8 but having driven the 1.8T golf GTi i thought it was very well built but i hated the handling. Havent drivin a WRX but have driven a 2000 Turbo - No comparason between it & the golf. The golf is now aiming at a completly different market unfortunatly. It depends what you want refinement/build quality or enjoyment?

[Edited by Carlos The Jackel - 10/18/2001 11:07:39 PM]
Old 18 October 2001, 11:36 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

u need to drive one.

i dont think u'll b disappointed.

although not a fan of the wrx looks for the money you still get a car thats incredible VFM.

esp as the 01 is better built than my MY00 (although not VW quality) and its cheaper than a beemer and residuals are comparable ? think you'll also find servicing is prob much cheaper as i've heard a few horror stories of bmw service costs !

still its worth getting a scoob for the number of smiles a journey it'll put on your face.
steve
Old 19 October 2001, 12:47 AM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

If you want an opinion how about this link, a comparison of the WRX v S3 v 4Motion Golf from Autocar (easy everyone...just another opinion)

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~scoobydoo/imprezaweb/reviews/trex/

From a personal pov, have had VW GTI's and other VAG in the from of a Seat Ibiza Cupra before purchasing the new WRX. Build quality is okay, nothing special compared to VAG, toys a bit thin on the ground - doesn't even have trip computer, or a decent stereo in the off the shelf model. Unbeleivably thirsty, it has a serious drink problem and I for one will be buying shares in BP as a result!

But hey, performance and handling and just general reputation are in a different league to the golf. Just wait till it rains then you will realise what a wonderful machine you have strapped to your back

Tell someone you hardly know that you have a golf gti and they will feign interest and be thinking "oh another one", tell em you have a scoobs and you will be amazed how many people get excited and display genuine knowledge of the car although they have never even driven one!!! It is iconic in old shape or new. Just the new is a little easier to life with and less intense.

In opposition to another post I think the 4 dr is actually better on noise than my Cupra hatch. Although I must say if I had 30k it would have to be the 330.

Hope that helps.

G
Old 19 October 2001, 01:25 AM
RobWhite
Scooby Regular

Just picked up my new wrx last week, I had a lexus IS200 sport b4, the ammount of sheer fun and the ammount of stares are worth it 100 times over.

I had the full subaru bodykit fitted + a set of morrette colour coded haed lights fitted and a full scoobysport exhaust & new rear spoiler. Email me if you want to know where I got the car, was an euro import (full uk spec) and saved over 5k from new.

I promise U once U drive one u will be hooked, its not a BMW or a golf but its not to much of a problem when you see them dissapear in your rear view mirror, be a convert, you will not regret it!!

Rob
Old 19 October 2001, 05:30 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Drive one thats all I can say.

Big fan of scoobs, always wanted one! Saw one at a local garage, had looked at many others. Test drove my current MY94 I had never seen such an immaculate model, was completely hooked and put a deposit on it

You will want one
Old 19 October 2001, 09:46 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

'er indoors has a 2.0 Golf GTi.

It has leather etc,which some might consider "better". The brakes stop you, when compared to the Scoob (inc MY01, which I now have). Zoiks the brakes in her Mazda 626 catapukted me through the sunroof when I applied Scooby brake pedal pressure!

But I think the best comparative adjective would be "lardy". The GTi feels like it needs to get down the gym and lose some weight.

Nice comfy cruiser though. Much better in traffic jams.

Oh and I think it has a better std stereo, but that's v subjective.
Old 19 October 2001, 01:27 PM
Spoons
Scooby Newbie

I currently drive a MY99 Golf Gti Turbo (company car) which is due for replacement next spring. After a 15 min test drive in a new WRX last week I was totally convinced and will shortly be ordering a new Euro import WRX for £17K (and taking money from my employer instead of a new car).

I was pleasantly surprised to find ride and refinement in the WRX were pretty much up there with the golf, and build quality was as good as most non-German cars. The main difference between the golf and the scoob is driver enjoyment - If you have never driven a car like the Scoob before and it must be experienced to be appreciated.

One drawback with the scoob - While the WRX is a much quicker car driven hard, under about 3000-4000 RPM do not expect the car to be any quicker than the golf as the turbo doesnt seem to do much below this (whereas the golf's turbo works from 1750RPM). I know a PPP can be fitted to greatly improve mid-range torque but I gather from other posts here that this is not an option for euro imports since this invalidates the warranty.

To sum up - Buy the Scoob!