New member alert!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2006, 01:53 PM
Rob_G
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member alert!

Hello everyone.

I recently joined the Scooby-Net forum as I have been considering purchasing an Impreza as my next car. I would firstly just like to say a big thank you and congratulations to everyone who contributes to this amazing information resource.

I am currently in the early stages of investigating possible candidates for my next car, and the Impreza is currently top of my list. I have set a loose budget of £14k for a car, bit this may change if there is a good reason for it to. I currently drive a Pug 206 GTi (French poo box) and have owned two Nissan Pulsar GTi-Rs in the past. With the next car I buy, I am looking to combine the performance of the GTi-R and some of the (relative) luxury of the 206 to give me a car that I plan to keep for a good number of years.

Style wise, I have set my heart on a 'blob-eye' saloon in standard WRX or STI trim. I have seen some 'bug-eye' Imprezas that look nice, but my preference lies with the 'blob-eye'. I am not looking to have anything modified outside of exhaust, wheels or PPP.

I went for a quick test drive in a MY05 WRX STI yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had this offered to me at trade price as I know someone who works for IM Group, but it was still just too much.

So here is my question:

Should I be looking to buy an excellent example of a bug-eye (say WRX STI with PPP) with possibly a few tasteful mods, or a standard, early 'blob-eye' WRX / STI?

These seem to be the cars that are in my price range. If you can comment on the performance/handling/security/interior differences between the cars, I would be most greatful.

Many thanks.

Rob

P.S. Does the six speed gearbox come on all recent Imprezas? I just love the thought of having a sixth down there.
Old 03 March 2006, 01:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome I cannot comment on your questions as I only have knowledge of the classic shape.

im sure someone will be along to help in a sec
Old 03 March 2006, 01:59 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Speak to me about the new shape !
Old 03 March 2006, 02:01 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

14k will probably get you a very nice Evo
Old 03 March 2006, 02:17 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
14k will probably get you a very nice Evo
But EVO's are crap

should get a 04-05 WRX or an 02-03 STi for that mate, just shop around
Old 03 March 2006, 04:01 PM
Rob_G
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

Can someone direct me towards a list of differences between a WRX and STI for cars in the 02-04 age group please?

I have considered Evos, but from what I have read they seem to require more regular servicing (4,500 miles) that are more expensive than the Imprezas. Is this right? I also think that i will have to go a fair few years older to get an Evo for the same money as an Impreza. Luckily I live about 5 minutes away from the Dudley (West Midlands) RalliArt/Extreme garage and am going for a look around either later today or tomorrow.

If anyone can help to answer my question in the first post, or point me in the direction of where I can find the answer, I would be most greatful.

Thanks

Rob
Old 03 March 2006, 04:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

14k will get you an 03 STi (maybe with PPP).

WRX are 5 speeds, STi 6 Speed. If you've had a GTi-R and love them, then an STi is probably for you. They're a lot more raw than the WRX, harsher, but more rewarding if you can afford it and live with it.

I went for the STi (having been a GTi-R owner previously!! )

If you're thinking of modding, then maybe try a Jap Import (JDM). Plus you get a few extras, like being able to see out the back window when it's raining and foldy mirrors. That is if you can pay the extra insurance.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 03 March 2006 at 04:07 PM.