Sponsored by:

I thought my P1 was quick...

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2006, 06:29 PM
Dave Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought my P1 was quick...

Had a great drive this morning on back roads to see Steve Darley to finish off the DefiBF installation and remote knock link (neat, on the right side of the instrument cowling). Job done and about to set off for another smile-inducing blast when along comes Steve's mate Alan Bell in his Sti bugeye.

30 minutes later I was ambling home with my foot to the floor thinking "where's all the power gone? This feels so slow!"

But it wasn't. I made the mistake of letting Steve take me for a quick run in the bugeye. Only this particular machine has a 2.5 lump and something over 400bhp.

Awesome. Wheelspin in 4th. My beautiful P1 would have been left for dead. Utterly. And then, damn it, Steve causally said: "And that was only half throttle..."

It is hard to believe that a car can be so much faster, have so much pulling power in any gear.

But here's the good news. I don't want one. By the time I got home, the bugeye was a distant memory, the P1 was driving superbly - and it looks a million times better than the New Age (no offence Alan and all you other "modern" owners!).

What it did teach me was just how much raw power can be squeezed from the dear old Scoob. Now I can't wait for the Scoobyshootout in May to see Steve's machine in action - a classic Wagon with around 550bhp (if he gets it finished in time!). Now that's a sight that'll be worth experiencing. If I were a betting man, I'd drop a few quid on this particular beast to win the standing quarter.

Dave I know now there's a whole new world out there Blows
Old 05 February 2006, 06:43 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i think weve all been there......... i got overtaken at full chat by a gallardo, over took me like i wasnt trying. he clearly did not know that subarus are faster.....
Old 05 February 2006, 06:47 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

yeah it should be very good, i understand steve is having a roger clark engine built and we all know how good rcms are at building them so it should be an absolute flyer!

as for alan's car i haven't had the pleasure yet but i am sure he will oblige when i see him next
Old 05 February 2006, 07:44 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

: LoL Dave No offence taken , Your P1 is mint and a credit to you,
Old 05 February 2006, 08:02 PM
Dave Blows
Scooby Regular

Default cheers!

Thanks Alan - had one of those "where's my flame suit?" moments when I expressed my preference for the classic shape!

And it's not true really - you don't dismiss that sort of power from your mind that quickly. In an ideal world, I'd have that lump and beef in the P1, but then the financial reality check kicks in...

I'll just have to pretend. I'm sure I'll feel a (tiny) bit better when API and Pat have given me around 330bhp and up to 310ftlbs to play with a bit later this month.

I'll just have to make sure it's not you if I encounter any playful Scoobs!

Dave Blows
Old 05 February 2006, 08:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alanbell
: LoL Dave No offence taken , Your P1 is mint and a credit to you,
nice one alan when mine is all sorted you will have to take me for a spin and vice versa so i can see the difference between the two
Old 05 February 2006, 09:14 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

LOL, no problem Dave, and thanks to Alan for letting me take you out in his pride and joy, which is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Just think, Alans has quite a bit more to come yet , once Andy tackles it. Its also now looking presentable under the bonnet, rather than the eyesore it worse when he got it.

Your P1 is mint, look after it Dave, pleasure helping you.

Dont think i will be winning SSO though , theres a good few cars that will be far quicker.