Anyone had experiences with CARDATA??

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2000, 03:44 PM
mhawes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys
Trying to sell my GSI astra at the moment and I keep getting called by a firm called Cardata, saying they will sell my car for me and that they have got x amount of people interested for just £69.95!
Has anyone had any experience with them and if so is it worth doing as I havent had much response from the Autotrader

many thanks

Mark
Old 10 October 2000, 03:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I had this when trying to sell my old R19, don't go there, many people on this BBS said they have had bad experiences with them. They print ads on the back of sainsburys till receipts and claim to continue selling your car until its sold but nobody I know who used them had any enquiries at all.
I suspect the x number of people who are interested only interested in Astras not spefically your model and they would be national not local.

I also had no joy from AutoTrader and got the best response from my local FreeAds.

[This message has been edited by RichB (edited 10 October 2000).]
Old 10 October 2000, 04:20 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I aggree...
I wasted my money on cardata and the promised flood of calls never happened !!

In future trust Autotrader/Loot etc, just remember that when youre looking for a second hand car most people mainly use Autotrader anyway !!!

Dan
Old 10 October 2000, 04:32 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Have stuck adds in Loot b4 now & this crowd always rang up

Chancers is what I rekon as you would stick the advert in their publication in the first place if you thought they were any good & I've never heard any good about 'em.

Puff The Cynical Wagon
Old 10 October 2000, 04:34 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Just stick with Autotrader. I kept on getting plagued with calls from Cardata (plus another outfit - same sort of deal, but can't remember their name)when I was trying to sell my Primera in August. Decided it just wasn't worth the money.

If you aren't getting any response via Autotrader then you've almost certainly got the price pitched too high. I know August wasn't the best time to try to sell, but prices were dropping like a stone - the price guide in Glass's fell £300 in one month. I got one very tentative enquiry in 2 weeks, dropped the price by £400 ( - I had to sell by the end of the month), and got seven enquiries in the third week, and sold to the first one. So I would suggest that you rethink the price unless you can afford to wait on the off-chance that you'll get a bite.

Pete
Old 10 October 2000, 05:24 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd stick to Loot, AutoTrader, Exchange & Mart and Top Marques.
Old 10 October 2000, 05:27 PM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Angry

They are a complete pain in the ****. When I was selling my R19 16V they rang about 4 times a week. In the end, we told them to stop ringing otherwise we would contact trading standards!!! They didn't call back after that.........

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2000, 05:46 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Same again - my colleague plagued by calls and paid up for 'guaranteed interest' and had no replies at all. Sold it through Autotrader in the end - everybody just searches on internet nowadays it seems.
Old 10 October 2000, 06:10 PM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

My comment is probably not necessary by now - I guess you are getting a feel for these guys.

They are tossers as far as I am concerned, cost me £70 for sod all.

Mickey G

Sorry for the rant - but I really feel I was ripped off by them.

[This message has been edited by MickeyG (edited 10 October 2000).]
Old 10 October 2000, 06:20 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

CarData did not provide what they promised - no calls whatsover. They also said I could pay half up front and half if they provided a buyer - and then took the whole £69.95 from my credit card, which took 2 months to get back.
Wouldn't ever use them again.
Old 10 October 2000, 06:23 PM
Nico
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Got to agree with all of the above. Eventualy gave in to them after about the sixth time of them contacting me. Had no response at all for my 70 quid.

Best bet IMHO is Exchange and Mart - you can keep it in there for 6 months for one price. Just got to make sure you remember to phone up every week to renew it though. Loot's good too (free !).
Old 10 October 2000, 07:41 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

I was pestered by Cardata a couple of years back and spent a lot of time checking them out, in the hope of selling my findings to a national newspaper (this nearly worked).

I deemed that the most popular secondhand car in the UK was a £4000 Ford Fiesta, and I phoned up the owners of around 30 such cars for sale on Cardata. NOT ONE OF THE 30 HAD RECEIVED A SINGLE CALL.

DON'T USE THEM.
Old 10 October 2000, 09:21 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

ARRrgghhhhh!!!!!! Don't go near these barstewards! I paid £70 2 years ago after loads of promises, and received ZERO calls.
I made a complaint and they told me it was my own fault for advertising the car at private sale prices and not trade !!!! They are crooks.
Old 10 October 2000, 09:49 PM
mhawes
Scooby Regular

Wink

WOW BLOODY HELL - cheers boyz, obviously I should tell these tossers to stop buggin me as I havent heard one good thing about them!

They are due to call me back tomorrow and Ill let them know the reputation theyve got amongst the public. Maybe theyll do it for free so that I will try and change your minds about them. But I doubt it!!

well thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. In the mean time if anyone knows anyone who wants an Astra GSI, gizz an E mail (Sorry had to get that in)
Old 11 October 2000, 12:07 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I found that if you only put your mobile number in the adverts cardata do not bother phoning, it just means that if an interested party phones about your car, you get them to call back to your normal phone no.
Old 11 October 2000, 11:18 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yep, same story here.
Car data are tossers, also cost me 70 quid of which- when the car is sold you'll get 50 pounds back!
I was bugged by this one guy always calling me- I aksed him not to as I wasn't interested but after several weeks the car hadn't gone and the guy phoned back promising me that he had people interested in this kind of car and if I can release your details then we'll get it sold within 7 days or you'll get a free holiday. I said I don't want the holiday I want the car moved.
Anyway - blah blah blah - you guessed it - 0 calls after 2 weeks!!! I phoned them up asking how many people they had sent my details to. They said 8 people...

Bunch of timewasters. I'd love to meet a person who is happy with them. Tried talking to Watchdog about it but they never followed it up! You can report things on the Watchdog website so if everyone goes and does that then perhaps they will take it seriously?

IMO - Do not use Cardata as they do not do what they promise.
Old 11 October 2000, 11:22 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Well I know someone ywho canvassed for cardata. So I won't use them.
If they were that good you would have gone to them first.
Not got some agent cold selling and clogging up your phone line.
Old 11 October 2000, 11:40 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

I suggest EVERYONE who has been bothered by this company goes to the BBC watchdog website and registers their complaint. I have just done this. If enough people complain, they will most likely take a look.

Old 11 October 2000, 11:52 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mulder:
<B>
I suggest EVERYONE who has been bothered by this company goes to the BBC watchdog website and registers their complaint. I have just done this. If enough people complain, they will most likely take a look.

[/quote]

This is a good idea(if it's true) and will be made easier now that Anne Robinson is a member of scoobynet

Old 11 October 2000, 01:08 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Advertised my car with them 2 years ago (after being cold called after an advert in Autotrader).

They had 7 people who had already expressed an interest in my sort of car (a Convertable Astra).

They must be still advertising the car as I haven't had a phone call about it yet.

I did phone up to see where the 7 people had gone but Cardata were obviously very busy answering calls from prospective buyers as I could not get through on the line.

Gary
Old 11 October 2000, 02:10 PM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Isn't it strange that they seem to always have 7-8 people "interested in your type of car"