Sponsored by:

What would be your choice

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 12:20 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would be your choice

Just based on the performance and driveabilty which would you have and why?

An STi or WRX with PPP

Both put out 265bhp so which is best??

I guess if you wanted to mod further you would go for an STi but i just want to know in peoples experience if both were kept as is which they prefer??

Cheers
Old 19 January 2006, 12:27 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have not owned both, but I would go for the STI every time
6spd gear box, more resiliant engine, sporty interior and I have read several threads of WRX owners driving an STi and finding that they prefered the Sti. Also the STi is a better base for modifying.

All my personal opinion of course
Old 19 January 2006, 12:36 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Never driven a WRX, just an STI.

I'd always go for the STI though.
Old 19 January 2006, 12:39 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Sti

Better gearbox, diff's, engine, turbo, chassis (apart from the sticking dampers), brakes.
Old 19 January 2006, 12:44 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

STi
Old 19 January 2006, 12:46 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

WRX for me - better trade off between performance and ride but then I'm biased having a WRX although have driven an STi. Plus you gain on initial purchase price (inc. PPP), insurance and I would guess that the PPP package would give better fuel efficiency that a standard STi.

But as others have said above it's horses for courses.
Old 19 January 2006, 12:48 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

My vote goes for the WRX with PPP for the following reasons:

1. better acceleration performance according to the stats
2. better fuel economy
3. less gear changing (5 vs 6 gears)
4. cheaper.

Rich
Old 19 January 2006, 12:58 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Well I would say an STI

But I could only afford a WRX PPP
Old 19 January 2006, 01:47 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

WRX PPP

Sti does not come with leather, sunroof, heated seats or a decent size boot (called an estate). Not the most exciting car though in recent trim but good enough.

I only bought it for the wagon size and now realise just how bloody small a car inside it is and therefore wish I'd gone for another make, as this drinks fuel like nothing else...
Old 19 January 2006, 05:00 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

ive got an sti and i love it. i had the new WRX 2.5 when mine was in for a service the other day, fair enough it wasnt the PPP but it was crap, just like driving a normal car with a little poke, my STI gives u more of that i'm in a rally car feeling and look. i like the 6 speed box too as u get more response in the gears with them being shorter

Sy
Old 19 January 2006, 07:39 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

WRX drove both, bought a WRX dont like the 6 speed box
my opinion of course.
Old 19 January 2006, 07:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you buy the WRX you have limited your tuning capabilities, whereas the STi is just begining.

Gary
Old 19 January 2006, 09:18 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I test drove all four (Inc Sti PPP) and prefered the STi to the WRX with PPP. Bought a STi PPP in the end
Old 19 January 2006, 10:55 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the WRX is cheaper and with the left over cash can be sorted to outdistance the STi
Old 20 January 2006, 08:33 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

There are other issues. WRX PPP will probably be a lot more hassle to insure (and probably more expensive than a standard STI). If you're going to have the hassle of PPP insurance then you may as well have the full fat STI version. Yes you can mod your WRX but, what about warranty? you'll want to change the brakes, maybe the diffs, etc... you'll probably just end up with a more expensive STI "copy". The WRX PPP is quicker on paper than a std STI, but the 6 speed box more than makes up for it in real world conditions. Also a WRX that has been modded to the extent that it cost as much as a given STI will no doubt be worth less on resale.
As for interior etc... you're looking at the wrong car if you give a crap either way - they're both ****.

To answer the ORIGINAL question tho. If both were kept as standard, then the STI would be better to drive and would probably have slightly better performance in the real world due to: Better gearing, better brakes, better diffs, better suspension.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:08 AM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I`ve just been through this process over the last month and have driven both extensively (Thanks to Stan Palmers) and eventually I have just ordered a 2006MY WRX which will get the PPP treatment at its 1K service .For me the WRX PPP performs better than a standard STi on the fell roads and B roads of cumbria , only the brembos on the STi were better for me. And the gay gold wheels would have to go aswell. So with a WRX discounted at new purchase and then PPP later on you save £5000 . Thats an easy decision now ain`t it !.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:27 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

whats more important> semi relaxing drive with some poke when you need it or not quite so relaxing drive with some poke when you need it? are you you going to mod it i.e. PPP?

Ive just done a 600 mile round trip in mine (sti ppp) and personally i would have prefered to have taken one of the work vans, i was shattered and achy afterwards

also the sti is a bit ostentatious (sp?) for some
Old 20 January 2006, 10:59 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX PPP and have driven many STi's of various tune from standard, through PPP all the way up to a T25. I find the 6 speed box hard work on the more adventurous roads flicking between 3/4/5th where my 5sp keeps me in 3rd with the occasional 4th gear straight. I recently learned Police pursuit driving techniques which would be harder to implement with the STi's 6sp box, compounded by my Police tutor whom had driven many such cars and much prefered my 5sp. On a recent test drive for a buyer of my car, a mate who owns an STi PPP TSL333 commented on how my car is way quicker on the road than his with IRO 70bhp more power, but that is mainly due to the AST coilovers and Whiteline suspension products making the available power completely useable, whereas with the STi you are restricted as to what the chassis can handle. I also have mildly upgraded brakes which are adequate, but Brembo's would be better. I also think the extra diff makes STi's much more adaptable mid bend.

To summise, for a £5k saving the WRX PPP is a superb car, and with some of the savings invested in well chosen mods can be every bit as quick as an STi. My next car however will probably be an STi to gain the brakes and diff, but I shall be following the same route on suspension modification to make any power upgrades useable on-road. Ideally a JDM STi with Milltek + remap and AST's and the Whiteline catalogue. A Type 20 in other words