Scooby setup for In-dash PC

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2006, 09:58 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby setup for In-dash PC

Hi,

looking at alternatives to the double DIN system in my bugeye MY01 - just wanted to know if anybody had any experience of a DIY in-dash/in-car PC project or can point me in the right direction?

Ideally don't care if it's Linux/Mac or Windows as long as I can use MP3's, radio, CD, DVD/DivX and possibly sat-nav.

Although the Scooby has double DIN I would prefer a fold-in screen for security reasons.

cheers,

Jai
Old 02 January 2006, 10:01 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by impreza_sports_nutter
Hi,

looking at alternatives to the double DIN system in my bugeye MY01 - just wanted to know if anybody had any experience of a DIY in-dash/in-car PC project or can point me in the right direction?

Ideally don't care if it's Linux/Mac or Windows as long as I can use MP3's, radio, CD, DVD/DivX and possibly sat-nav.

Although the Scooby has double DIN I would prefer a fold-in screen for security reasons.

cheers,

Jai
I never got round to buiding it, but i investgated this and found that it would be possibleto build a complete in dash PC that fitted in the double din slot. Also if you use the Liliput touch screens with the casing removed it fills the double din hole very nicely. I was planning on fitting a dvd drive in place of the drinks holder. Unfortnetly i sold the car before i got round to doing this.
Old 02 January 2006, 10:03 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Craig Mudd, has done this IIRC

Search for Muddy
Old 02 January 2006, 10:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

several people have done this now - I'd find it, but the Search is doing its nut again

Dan
Old 03 January 2006, 12:02 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id suggest using a Travla DIN-sized chassis along with a 7" WS touchscreen. The chassis will fit into the lower din space behind a blanking plate and it can be easily removed. Its easiest to mount the Lilliput or similar display using velcro; I havent seen a screen like you describe for an (wide) XGA application; only for television/video and they really arent suitable. Youll find that icons are difficult to recognise and text is impossible to read. Irrespective of the chassis that you choose Id suggest that you use a notebook optical device and fixed disk. 3.5" fixed disks and full size (half height) optical drives take a (relatively) massive amount of current to spin up and a good deal to run. Data transfer rates arent an issue on in-car PCs and a 4400RPM 2.5" fixed disk will be more than adequate.

Simon
Old 03 January 2006, 12:04 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I forgot to mention input; I usually suggest using the integrated on-screen keyboard with a PDA type stylus. Mostly you wont need it of course if youre using a dedicated widescreen touchscreen front end...

Simon