Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAO DAZ 4

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2000, 12:29 AM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t think anyone, not even myself expects a 136bhp car to put in better lap times then a 211bhp car. However as this is a handling issue I have the perfect suggestion.

I will but my car head-to-head against a standard Impreza Sport, yes the non-turbo version. Admittedly it’s 10bhp down on my SRi, but the added torque of the flat 4 engine should make up for it.

As long as we can keep it clean, and get the cars back in one piece I’m perfectly happy to do this.
DAZ 4, I’m based near Crewe, so the nearest track according to Easytrack is Anglesey.

If anyone wants to sort something out contact me.

jase@computerweekly.net
icq 75470127
Old 01 October 2000, 03:50 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

Jason,

The reason I mentioned Abingdon is that it is a very small track/airfield (oval), It is not the Nurburgring !!

I would have thought the corners were not that different from your so called 90-100 mph "B" roads, which is what I (and many others) would like to see (legally).

Your argument started by referring to the Impreza (Impretza !!)Turbo and you made the following statements :

1) "The Scooby driver that was following me the other weekend, found this out the hard way!"

2) "When was the last time you were out in your standard Impreza and came out of a corner doing 90 or a 100+, when the limit on that corner for a normal car is say 60. Be honest with yourself, and if you have never done it ask yourself why?"

3) "Anyhow put short my 16vSRi will get from one end of a B road, just as fast (if not faster) then my brothers Impreza. Does that constitute bad handling to you?"

4) "All I know is that if I see a 'standard' uk spec car behind my Cavalier, then given the chance I can put distance on it on B road corners. I'm not talking about special models, just the basic spec £20k Scooby’s."

5) "When your power sliding at 100 with confidence, Vauxhalls suddenly loose their rep appeal :-)"

6) "I never said this scooby driver lost it when trying to keep with my cav, all I said is that he could not stay with me on coners. My car was totally controlled, and I was very relaxed, I even had time to watch the scooby in my mirror, and this is with me doing close on 100mph between corners."

7) "Luckily for me there were some nice fast roads just coming up ahead, and knowing how my brothers Impreza handled standard I decided to give him an education."

8)(my favourite!!)"Kind of felt sorry in a way cuss he tried real hard. Watching him in my mirror, my car was so stable out of those corners, and this is at 90+ on some exits. To be honest I was under my limit. Must have been a shock to him, guess he's never had a car out handle him before, let alone a Cavalier."

9) "And the secret to good handling is keeping those wheels on the ground. You won't see my Cav rolling anywhere near this."

All these statements I would love to see on any track you like.

DAZ 4

[This message has been edited by DAZ 4 (edited 01 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DAZ 4 (edited 01 October 2000).]
Old 01 October 2000, 04:21 PM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

>>
It's been said before, but I'll say it again...
In standard form, the Impreza is not a great handling car.
It's an average handling car with great grip.
Stef.
>>

So why won't you put an Impreza Sport against my car, scared you want have that power to hide behind. There is simply no way I’m racing a 136bhp car against a 211bhp car.

HOWEVER I will take my Cavalier to a local track, but not race (cuss that’s stupid and someone will crash).

See my Koni Cavalier on a track, and begin to realise what I’ve been saying.

I could also find some comments from an Evo site that x Scooby owners have made, but as were talking about Scooby’s and Cavs I won't!
Old 01 October 2000, 04:56 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

Firstly I have no intention of driving an Impreza sport (why would I ??) I'm not even sure if all the chassis components are the same as the turbo's (I'm sure more educated Scoob owners will know)

As I mentioned before, your argument (rantings) had nothing to do with the sport you were commenting on the Turbo.

You say - "HOWEVER I will take my Cavalier to a local track, but not race (cuss that’s stupid and someone will crash)". So you would rather "race" on the public roads would you ??

Lastly, I can understand Evo owners making comments and comparisons about the Scooby but not cavalier owners
Old 01 October 2000, 05:44 PM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

Like I said, I will put my Koni Cavalier on a track for you to see. But it has to be local, i'm not driving over 100miles to one.
Old 01 October 2000, 05:45 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

YAWN! YAWN! YAWN!
Old 01 October 2000, 06:12 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL thats funny! Jase, Don't mean to be nasty or anything but I dont think anyone with a Subaru would care what you got up to in your Car. I had an XR2 once, great little car, about on par with your Cavalier ability wise, perhapes faster across country. But I am sure that no person on this BBS would care about what I thought of it. We have clearly moved on as our finacial positions became stronger, as you may also do. Handling is subjective, some like it safe others like it more responsive but less forgiving.

I also like to drive fast on the public highways, its why I own a fast car. But you can never say your car handles better because you beat someone on the road. Beat them you may have done but maybe they are just not as good a driver as yourself or more sensible than people like you and me who like to go hell for leather. I kept up and was eventally let past by a 355 Spider but That does not mean my car handles better than the Ferrari.
Old 01 October 2000, 06:12 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

Moss,

Couldn't agree with you more
Old 01 October 2000, 06:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Daz, Moz, i agree with you both here, i also know that the impreza is a great car thus the reason i bought one, its a drivers car and not a toy, i like the understeer, i like the liftoff oversteer, if i didnt then i wouldnt have got one, but to have someone come on to this web site and slate what we like best in the motoring world aint on, firstly jason, 115bhp for the pre97 sports = 21bhp down, 123 for the later models =13bhp down, 208bhp or 215/8 depending on what you read for the turbo, secondly was it a turbo that you left on the b roads cos he probably was just waiting to see you get splattered by some truck coming the other way and didnt want to damage his car
If you think that you are a good driver jason let them take their turbos against you, with a good driver in a cav then you should have no probs making the difference up in the corners should you????

The one thing that this site does not appreciate is idiots on the roads, sliding round corners at 100mph (right...) is as bout as stupid a thing that anyone can do.
Ask my sister or brother in law (both paramedics), ask them what its like to see someone who has lost an arm or a leg cos of their stupid driving or because of some idiot who was trying to be a racing driver on the road.
I have fun with my car, along with everyone else on this site, if we want to race then there are organised days for it, you have made a challenge by saying your car out handles an impreza, well when you learn to spell impreza and not impretza then take them up
Daz, moz, send me a copy of the film i want to have a laugh when this cav goes off at the first corner!
Regards Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 01 October 2000).]
Old 01 October 2000, 07:01 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Smile

hi.i want to learn why are you disussing about it.all the world ,all the car magazines and all the owners know that impreza is one of the best handling car.it beats integra type-r,m3,elise,accord type-r,new tt,s3 ,etc.. all of the time ,out on a track or road(dry or wet doesn't matters).rb5 also beats evo6 on wet and standard turbo is just 0.800''' behind evo on hockenheim and 260 hp uk turbo kicks evos 'rse on hockenheim by 0.500'''.it won all handling tests ,it also beats cosworths integrales...
SO DON'T TALK WÝTHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF IMPREZA jasonm

P1 WR
Old 01 October 2000, 07:05 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i want to add that it also beats his big brother 22b on wet and with leda suspension it beats his another big brother sti and not brother evo on tracks,thanks.
P1 WR
Old 01 October 2000, 07:40 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Hmmm, decisions, decisions!!!!

Do i
A) Take my Impreza Sport on track and make a fool of this muppet?
B) Take rsquires 22B on track and make an even bigger fool of this muppet?
C) Take my Westfield on track and make a ginormous fool out of this muppet?
D) none of the above?

Hmmmmmm, show a muppet up for what he is???

Think it's D, none of the above. I dont waste my time on muppets, unlike this muppet i dont have an inferiority complex so have nothing to prove.

If you ever actually get to a track day and i am there, come out with me for a run and experience what a quick car is. Education is a wonderfull thing, get some before it's too late for god's sake, grow up and stop racing on the road before you kill someone, you muppet.
Old 01 October 2000, 07:50 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL Nothing to prove
Old 01 October 2000, 08:12 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Who the hell does this guy think he is? John Cleland??!!(Sorry John) So the cavalier is more able than an Impreza turbo? I think not. A quick comparison: Impreza turbo rally car, How many World Rally Championship wins? Cavalier TURBO( not 16vSRi)rally car, Project abandonded cos it wasn't competetive at ANY level!!
It takes a good road car to make a Great competition car.
(End of rant)
ps cavaliers have one of the worst rear supensions ever. I hate mondeos and they are lightyears ahead of cavaliers!
Old 01 October 2000, 09:57 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just remember boys - the Muppet Maker is collecting votes.....
Old 01 October 2000, 10:02 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Jason,

Quit talking bollox all the time..

Old 02 October 2000, 12:31 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Two things,
a) Handling is subjective.
b) There is a rule when driving which goes something like "be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear". Perhaps the Scooby drivers idea of what distance you need to stop is slightly different to yours. Particularly if he was anticipating your departure into the shrubbery.
KF.
Old 02 October 2000, 01:21 AM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

No it was a red 4dr, with a slightly confused driver at the wheel.

Pushed off my bumper under I entered the corners. Then ever so slightly fell back
Old 02 October 2000, 08:18 AM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

Paul,

It wasn't a Cavalier you were towing was it
Old 02 October 2000, 09:08 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Of course he was confused.
He was expecting to see the scrap yard owners in hot pursuit of the cav as one of their "specials" had escaped.

robski
Old 02 October 2000, 10:48 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Wink

YAWN YAWN YAWN

JasonM - you need to get out more mate! LOL.

Take up the offer of a track day with someone above and quit whining. If you beat a Turbo ahem, ok, but don't just talk - put your money where your mouth is!!

Kelvin
Old 02 October 2000, 11:57 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Look folks, I take this seriously. Jason, if you're prepared to pay for it, I'll run my 276bhp STi V against your cavalier on a track to see how they compare. Note that this is a totally standard car and hence there will be less of a mismatch than there would be with say, a tuned version. Also, I would be happy to not drive it quite as hard as I could do, for the sake of comparison. Just name the time and the place.
Old 02 October 2000, 12:48 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

JasonM,
When this guy in scooby came up behind you, it wasn't silver and looking rather grubby was it? If so it could well have been me towing my mates car back from an event
Old 02 October 2000, 01:00 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I have some possible scenarios for the afore mentioned 'road race'

1) the driver of the red scoob following the cav hadn't run his car in yet
2) the driver was older than 60 - oddly enough there are lots of elderly scoob turbo drivers round my area
3) when the cav passed him, the scoob driver was still changing the rear wheel after a puncture
4) it wasn't a scoob, it was an old style red phone box he passed
5) cav driver was actually playing gran turismo on his play station - oh no, cavs didn't qualify for inclusion into the game - they couldn't get round the virtual tracks in time!

JasonM, you actually own a scoob don't you and you're just having us on, eh? Very funny read.
Old 02 October 2000, 01:08 PM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

healeyb your on.

You find a track near the Crewe/Cheshire area and i'll be there.

I'm not going to win a 211 bhp car in a 136bhp, but i will out handle your Impreza

jase@computerweekly.net
Old 02 October 2000, 01:22 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

OK muppet.

Oulton Park, october 20th. be there or be a muppet all your life
Old 02 October 2000, 01:27 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,

thats not fair, if you use the impreza, will remove one of your front wheels.

it has to be fair you know!

robski
Old 02 October 2000, 01:29 PM
JasonM
Scooby Regular

Is that an open track day for all cars? Think I might just make that.
Old 02 October 2000, 01:38 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Thats bleeding miles away from me

darn it.

Ps, who was the Impreza sport wagon going round Castle Coombe on Sunday ?
Old 02 October 2000, 01:51 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Cavaliers? Bah - I'll bet my supe could whip one round a track (but not with me driving).

Quick Reply: FAO DAZ 4