ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Have i made a bad move???

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 02:37 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Have i made a bad move???

I had a slow puncture on the rear passanger side tyre, so today i went to see if it could be repaired, also had intention of getting 2 new front tyres as they were fecked. Turns out the tyre was totaly fecked, the reason being that the inside wall of the tyre had been rubbing on the suspension strut and had went right through. Checked the other side and it was not just as bad, but there was damage. Now i had 225/45/R17 Eagle F1's on standard suspension other than the camber having been adjusted to pro-drive settings. Anyone else had this problem? Now iv got 4 new 205/40/R17 Falken ZE502's do u think this was a silly choice of tyre size/make? With it being wet today and obviously they need run in a bit so not sure how its gona handle yet.
Would appreciate any feedback. Cheers
Old 29 October 2005, 02:38 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention its a 97uk turbo.
Old 29 October 2005, 02:41 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JCScooby
I had a slow puncture on the rear passanger side tyre, so today i went to see if it could be repaired, also had intention of getting 2 new front tyres as they were fecked. Turns out the tyre was totaly fecked, the reason being that the inside wall of the tyre had been rubbing on the suspension strut and had went right through. Checked the other side and it was not just as bad, but there was damage. Now i had 225/45/R17 Eagle F1's on standard suspension other than the camber having been adjusted to pro-drive settings. Anyone else had this problem? Now iv got 4 new 205/40/R17 Falken ZE502's do u think this was a silly choice of tyre size/make? With it being wet today and obviously they need run in a bit so not sure how its gona handle yet.
prob wudve went with 215/45/17 man shud be grand tho
Old 29 October 2005, 02:51 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The new tyre is smaller so your speedo will read about 6% too fast (assuming it was accurate before).

F1's are widely believed to be the best in the wet so be careful until you know how the falkens behave.
Old 29 October 2005, 08:14 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

what 17s are thay i had this when i had some 02reg 17s on my classic had to have the 205 width tyres on the back or 215s without passengers something to do with the offset i think still even with 205s car drove like it was on rails
Old 29 October 2005, 08:41 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's -6.5% out between the two sizes according to this http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Your new tyres are 2.6% out now compared to the standard size but before it was 2.8% out

Last edited by Paulo P; 30 October 2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 29 October 2005, 08:53 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby dancer
what 17s are thay i had this when i had some 02reg 17s on my classic had to have the 205 width tyres on the back or 215s without passengers something to do with the offset i think still even with 205s car drove like it was on rails
There like a six spoke wheel where the spokes are split down the middle if u sorta know what im meaning, there also Gold which i think was the standard colour. Not sure which scooby there off.
Old 29 October 2005, 09:19 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

There like a six spoke wheel where the spokes are split down the middle if u sorta know what im meaning, there also Gold which i think was the standard colour. Not sure which scooby there off.
yes thay are the same as i had, my wheels were fine with the 205s had a full set of p zeros 205 45 17z when i first put the wheels on thay looked great since have spent all money on performance but the gold wheel trend is dying , i do like these wheels though am going to keep them but referb them silver and put them back on car
Old 29 October 2005, 09:26 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby dancer
yes thay are the same as i had, my wheels were fine with the 205s had a full set of p zeros 205 45 17z when i first put the wheels on thay looked great since have spent all money on performance but the gold wheel trend is dying , i do like these wheels though am going to keep them but referb them silver and put them back on car
Yeah im thinking of a refurb myself, but will wait til next spring now. The Gold still looks good on my Dark Blue classic but i might change them to silver or black.
Old 29 October 2005, 09:49 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Yeah im thinking of a refurb myself, but will wait til next spring now. The Gold still looks good on my Dark Blue classic but i might change them to silver or black.
shame i formated my comp this week so no pic at mo but mine is also dark blue uk97 vf22 turbo converted to front entry fmic full de cat self moded fuel rail with regulator ect ect 282bhp at 6900rpm running 16psi oh and gold wheels
Old 29 October 2005, 11:27 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

these wheels?
Old 30 October 2005, 12:10 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

If these are the new age STi wheels & RE040 tyres, they're too wide for the classic. I have them on mine. Rear arches are rolled and 3mm spacers on rear to prevent them rubbing. Bridgestone RE040s are a very square section. I've found that a more rounded tyre section is OK without the spacers.
Old 30 October 2005, 02:28 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The Falken ZE512 are good tyres. I have them on my Forester and I rate them as being nearly as good as Goodyear Eagle F1s! Like with all tyres they will need scrubbing in before they reach their full potential.

You should have gone for a larger tyre 215/40/17 or 205/45/17. You'll find the 205/40/17 quite harsh, especially after changing from 225/45/17.
Old 30 October 2005, 09:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Same wheels I've got on mine with 17/225/40 tyres ( Bridgestone Potenzas ) - the rubbing problem I think would have been from running 45's - the gap between the 'inner corner' of the tyre amd the suspension strut is tiny with 40's on, so running a slightly higher profile tyre would have had it just about touching it.

Mine has prodrive suspension on it as well, but I'm pretty sure the shocks are the same sizes as the originals where they would be nearly in contact with the tyre.
Old 30 October 2005, 10:16 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

personally i wouldnt touch the falkens.

What alot of people forget, those 4 bands of rubber are the only thing that connect you to the road. As i drive my car like it was meant to be, grip and braking performance are of my upmost concern. I will not comprimise on these in any way shape or form.

Granted mine are not the best you can but IMO you cant go wrong with the T-1S toyo.

John
Old 30 October 2005, 10:54 AM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
The new tyre is smaller so your speedo will read about 6% too fast (assuming it was accurate before).

F1's are widely believed to be the best in the wet so be careful until you know how the falkens behave.
it would of bin wrong in the first place as a 97uk turbo comes with 16's standard i believe
Old 30 October 2005, 11:40 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Same wheels I've got on mine with 17/225/40 tyres ( Bridgestone Potenzas ) - the rubbing problem I think would have been from running 45's - the gap between the 'inner corner' of the tyre amd the suspension strut is tiny with 40's on, so running a slightly higher profile tyre would have had it just about touching it.

Mine has prodrive suspension on it as well, but I'm pretty sure the shocks are the same sizes as the originals where they would be nearly in contact with the tyre.
has to be the 45s for me 40 profile is to hard and if you drive hard and side ways like me (track only of course ) needs a good wall had the mitchelins before but the perelli p zeros are super both wet and dry and look fine on a7.5 wide rim with 205 tyre
Old 31 October 2005, 07:48 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer

these wheels?
No mines are six spoke.
Old 31 October 2005, 07:50 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

RB5 wheels? Not that it's important
Old 31 October 2005, 07:58 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
RB5 wheels? Not that it's important
I wish i had a picture as im not in touch with all the different wheels for different models. There very similar in design to those in your picture, but my spokes are straight, right to the edge of the rim and as i said theres 6 of them.
Old 31 October 2005, 08:01 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
personally i wouldnt touch the falkens.

What alot of people forget, those 4 bands of rubber are the only thing that connect you to the road. As i drive my car like it was meant to be, grip and braking performance are of my upmost concern. I will not comprimise on these in any way shape or form.

Granted mine are not the best you can but IMO you cant go wrong with the T-1S toyo.

John
I agree the Falkens aint the best, infact there bordering on being a budget tyre, but it was all they had and i just went for them at the time. Il b taking it easy til i get used to them.
Old 31 October 2005, 11:46 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Having tried Toyos in the past, I found them appalling with crap on the limit grip. The Pirelli PZeros were even worse and these are both meant to be 'quality' tyres.

Fair enough the Toyos now have a new compound, and the PZero Neros are much improved, but I stand by my comment that the Falkens are on par with Goodyear Eagle F1s (which I rate highly!)

I would have the Falkens over Pirelli Pzero or Toyo Proxies, but each to their own.
Old 01 November 2005, 02:05 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Having tried Toyos in the past, I found them appalling with crap on the limit grip. The Pirelli PZeros were even worse and these are both meant to be 'quality' tyres.

Fair enough the Toyos now have a new compound, and the PZero Neros are much improved, but I stand by my comment that the Falkens are on par with Goodyear Eagle F1s (which I rate highly!)

I would have the Falkens over Pirelli Pzero or Toyo Proxies, but each to their own.

I might be wrong here, but as far as im aware, TOYO never changed the compound on the T1-R. All they did was improve the outer of the tyre by strengthening the outer with more i=of a solid band. That was the floor in the tyre, the edges kept on running off, inner and outer.

John
Old 01 November 2005, 07:24 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Sorry I was talking about the change between the S and the R.