Sponsored by:

WRX300 (3-month review)

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2005, 09:58 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX300 (3-month review)

WRX300 (3-month review) – hopefully of interest to somebody!!

It was a difficult decision to consider buying an Impreza having spent a few content years as BMW 3-series owner, the latest being a 3-year-old e46 325i saloon, which I had owned since almost new. I felt like a change and with performance a major factor in all my car making decisions, it was hard not to be seduced by the lure of a special edition Impreza WRX with PPP.

In 20 years I had never considered a Japanese car but from within the plush confines of my 3-series I always had an undeclared admiration for the Impreza, perhaps harking back to my first real performance car, an XR3i in the mid 80s. The WRX300 was obviously been marketed in way that appealed to me, as I found myself frequently visiting subaru.co.uk in the daytime and my local dealer under cover of night to try and decide whether I could imagine owning this bright blue, gold wheeled, spoilered machine.

Anyway, having sought necessary clearance from my nearest and dearest, I had a test drive in a demonstrator and was sold on its intoxicating performance and handling. For me, the WRX300 package was not only much cheaper than an STi, but also more acceptable as day-to-day transport.

The car was clearly not built as solidly as a BMW, but seemed put together well enough and the whole feel of the car was just what I had been looking for. Insurance was duly sorted out through my existing insurers, Tesco, and by agreeing a larger excess, I managed to keep the premium at £430 p.a.

I bought a pre-registered car for £19,000 (some £2,500 off the list price), delivered with 30 miles on the clock and with strict instructions to keep the action modest until the first service at 1000 miles. Unfortunately, Subaru ownership did not have an auspicious start. The service department had neglected to tighten one of the battery leads and a total loss of power on day two resulted in me abandoned in the middle of nowhere, alarm screaming and needing Subaru Recovery in record time.

I used the dealer’s apology and offer of goodwill to get a lower grill fitted for free at the first service. By now, after a slight delay, I also had the Tracker Safe Speed system warning me of speed cameras, all adding to the feeling that I was in a high-tec and somehow slightly mischievous motor.

Soon after, I also got the dealer to fit the Prodrive Springs, all-inclusive for £470. These made a subtle but noticeable improvement to the ride and dialled out the poorly damped feel of the standard springs. The car also looked much better sitting slightly lower. A switch of insurance companies was also necessary as Tesco suddenly wanted to drop me following a 25mm drop in my car and several years of custom.

The car has now covered 2500 miles and still feels great to drive - every time. I find using the power only occasionally means it is always a pleasant surprise when used to its full potential. An average 30-mpg is quite easy to achieve. Dealer service has been cheerily competent rather than slick and efficient but that is okay.

There have been a few disappointments. The car has a noticeable defect in one door, which has been independently confirmed as a ‘factory repair’ prior to export and about which nothing can be done, short of a replacement and resprayed door – no thanks!! Build quality, a minor issue at purchase has been more of an irritation. In a meticulous search to cure a few creaks, I have discovered how easy it would be to dismantle the entire cabin without the need for a screwdriver.

The car has its flaws and occasionally I still think about the rationale behind this purchase but whilst I respected the BMW in a fairly distant way, there is an emotional attachment with the Impreza that I can’t define and it is an experience I am excited about continuing.

Last edited by KG386; 18 October 2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 18 October 2005, 10:29 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Good review and you have had similar experiences to me, (the odd defect, a few annoying creaks from the cabin - but still a joy to drive every time).

I also think the emotional attachment to the Impreza is something you only understand after you've owned one.
Old 19 October 2005, 12:29 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

cool. im still waiting to get one. im going to start looking or deals after christmas. glad its going well. how did you insure it with tesco? was it a wrx modified or did they reconise "wrx300"?
Old 19 October 2005, 01:21 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Nice review mate, and similar conclusions to myself, although mine is a MY05 WRX with PPP.

Whatever you do though, don`t go and try an STi, as you may well feel you bought the wrong Scooby.
Old 19 October 2005, 09:43 AM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
cool. im still waiting to get one. im going to start looking or deals after christmas. glad its going well. how did you insure it with tesco? was it a wrx modified or did they reconise "wrx300"?
Hi C2

Tescos didn't recognise it and I was a bit uncomfortable that they 'spoke to their underwriters' who decided it was ok to insure as a WRX. Anyway, when I switched to Admiral a few weeks later, their website recognised the model and even had a page where you could specify modifications, so I'm much happier now and still only paying £465 p.a. (age 41, full NCD, good postcode, no convictions).

It's time you got your self sorted with a new motor isn't it?

Rich
Old 19 October 2005, 09:43 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Got my European import WRX SWRT ( equiv to UK 300) from Motorpoint... saved 4k off UK price.. same engine/bhp.. I love it..!
Old 19 October 2005, 09:45 AM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Nice review mate, and similar conclusions to myself, although mine is a MY05 WRX with PPP.

Whatever you do though, don`t go and try an STi, as you may well feel you bought the wrong Scooby.
Hi Dexter

I've read some of your other posts - sorry it ain't quite what you hoped for - but try and enjoy it because there's always something better out there!!

Rich
Old 19 October 2005, 10:11 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

470 for prodrive springs? how come my nearest dealer wont do the for less than 600?!? robbing bstards!
Old 19 October 2005, 12:40 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

"The service department had neglected to tighten one of the battery leads and a total loss of power on day two resulted in me abandoned in the middle of nowhere, alarm screaming and needing Subaru Recovery in record time."

Funny that, I had exactly the same problem and when it went into subaru to be sorted they said a connection on the alarm had come undone. The car continued to misbehave, sometimes not starting at all and it was only when i was asked to jump start someones car that we noticed the red connection to the battery was flapping all over the place!!. I'm just glad I wasn't on a motorway and lost everything!.
Old 19 October 2005, 12:59 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZippyLane
Got my European import WRX SWRT ( equiv to UK 300) from Motorpoint... saved 4k off UK price.. same engine/bhp.. I love it..!
its not uk300 mate. its wrx300 ie a prodrive wrx 265bhp. correct me if im wrong but swrt edition euro imports were just standard wrx's.
Old 19 October 2005, 01:01 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KG386
Hi C2

Tescos didn't recognise it and I was a bit uncomfortable that they 'spoke to their underwriters' who decided it was ok to insure as a WRX. Anyway, when I switched to Admiral a few weeks later, their website recognised the model and even had a page where you could specify modifications, so I'm much happier now and still only paying £465 p.a. (age 41, full NCD, good postcode, no convictions).

It's time you got your self sorted with a new motor isn't it?

Rich
I was going to say have you tryed elephant/admiral (same thing) as they reconised the model. its my cheapest quote by a mile. I want it now but cant justifie it till after christmas so hopefully will be able to get a good deal with the new model being on the road by then and maye a few used ones knocking about. not long tho....
Old 19 October 2005, 04:42 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
its not uk300 mate. its wrx300 ie a prodrive wrx 265bhp. correct me if im wrong but swrt edition euro imports were just standard wrx's.
Well, I hope not mate, because the company I brought it from swore blind it's 265 BHP and if it's not then I won't be happy.. I'll have to find a rolling road somewhere and have it tested..
Old 19 October 2005, 04:46 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Well, I hope not mate, because the company I brought it from swore blind it's 265 BHP and if it's not then I won't be happy.. I'll have to find a rolling road somewhere and have it tested..
Have you got the standard twin tailpipes or the Prodrive box?
Old 19 October 2005, 05:08 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Hi Dexter

I've read some of your other posts - sorry it ain't quite what you hoped for - but try and enjoy it because there's always something better out there!!

Rich
Cheers Rich............funny thing is, the WRX is what I`d hoped for, especially with PPP......but, after having tried an STi, it`s just that there is more to them, and not only in the power-stakes. What I really like about them must be attributed to the 6-speed box, as the acceleration is definitely more brutal than it is on the WRX PPP, even with comparable BHP.

Anyway, TBH, I`m one of those "life`s too short, and you only get one chance" sort of people, so I`m already on the look-out for an STi, and getting ready to lose loads of money on my WRX.

Unfortunately, I can`t stretch to a brand new STi (again), so it`ll have to be a used one, but hey, at least I`ll not have to run it in again.

Anyway, watch this space.................................
Old 19 October 2005, 05:24 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey . . Got a WRX 300.. . . .Best car in the world . .End of Story . .
Old 19 October 2005, 06:33 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Cheers Rich............funny thing is, the WRX is what I`d hoped for, especially with PPP......but, after having tried an STi, it`s just that there is more to them, and not only in the power-stakes. What I really like about them must be attributed to the 6-speed box, as the acceleration is definitely more brutal than it is on the WRX PPP, even with comparable BHP.

Anyway, TBH, I`m one of those "life`s too short, and you only get one chance" sort of people, so I`m already on the look-out for an STi, and getting ready to lose loads of money on my WRX.

Unfortunately, I can`t stretch to a brand new STi (again), so it`ll have to be a used one, but hey, at least I`ll not have to run it in again.

Anyway, watch this space.................................
I'll be watching... Good Luck in your search
Old 19 October 2005, 09:09 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I'll be watching... Good Luck in your search
Cheers Rich.
Old 19 October 2005, 10:32 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

KG, I've had my 2005 WRX for almost a year now and ownership just gets better and better.

Yes the car does creak and rattle here and there, but that's long since stopped annoying me. If you've only got 3000 easy miles on the engine then it's not even begun to fully loosen up!

I see the modding has started already with the grill. When the bug takes real control then enjoy the ride. It can be a bit of a costly game.

The one thing I've found with being an Impreza owner isn't just having a fun car but the key to a really great sense of community, which is something that 99% of cars can't offer.
Old 19 October 2005, 10:54 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up GREAT!

Ohh man Ohh man,
Congrats on your fantastic wrx 300.
I too have had mine only 1 week and have done 250 miles. I have had the sti prodrive spolier on (Sorrry but I just love it), R angle 2 and sat nav. All hard wired so looks really cool. Window tints on all rears are on Friday
Out of all the cars I have had, 2 x MG ZS's , Hyundia Coupe, my wife WANTS TO DRIVE THE 300 MORE THAN ME.THAT IS FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I have taken it really easy for the time being as it is a MONSTER, it's the fastest thing I have ever drove. I have taken it up to 4000 revs once only but wil really give it a good balst in circa 2 weeks after the first service.
I am so so so so so happy. I even drove my wifes car today and made my wife drive the 300 behind me so I could see what it looked like......ohh man I love it to bits.
Ohh must say one thing, as I picked the car up, 30 mins later I noticed a DENT near the front air scoop.................OHH OHH Tinky Winky OH OH..........Al is fixed, the dent magician who they use lives on my estate and he came and fixed it. ALL IS FANTASTIC!.
Old 19 October 2005, 11:08 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

Angry

225 BHP I'm afraid
Old 20 October 2005, 09:34 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Have you got the standard twin tailpipes or the Prodrive box?
Twins
Old 20 October 2005, 09:56 AM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Twins
Doesn't sound promising ZippyLane. Not sure what, if anything, you can do about this. It maybe that the import has more power as standard anyway. Maybe if you open a new thread and ask the question, someone with more knowledge than me can help. You could also presumably have the PPP fitted but this costs around £1600 I believe but is well worth it - cheer up and enjoy the car whatever and it sounds like you got a good deal irrespective - have you any pics to post??
Old 20 October 2005, 01:24 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

You could also presumably have the PPP fitted but this costs around £1600 I believe but is well worth it
For the price I saw the SWRT up for sale at you've got a great car there. Unfortunately, is it not the case that you cant have PPP fitted to an Import.

Might be wrong but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on here before that subaru will not even sell you the PPP upgrade if it aint a UK car.
Old 20 October 2005, 01:29 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
For the price I saw the SWRT up for sale at you've got a great car there. Unfortunately, is it not the case that you cant have PPP fitted to an Import.

Might be wrong but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on here before that subaru will not even sell you the PPP upgrade if it aint a UK car.
Oh yes, C2forWRX after not getting a serious bid on ebay for my WRX300, it is no longer advertised but I hope someone takes pity on me and brings a suitcase full of cash to my house and takes the beast off me! - buyers market at the moment it seems.

I'll probably still have it after xmas so PM me then if ur interested.
Old 20 October 2005, 01:46 PM
WRX-Jo
Scooby Regular

Well after a month of delays/waiting, I finally collected my new WRX300 yesterday - hence I'm new on here. I'm trying to treat the car gently, but it's much harder than I thought to keep those revs down! I might have almost, momentarily, touched 4000rpm twice yesterday but having given myself a good slap on the wrist for that, I'm trying to keep it under 3000 today (and so far succeeding)...

I'd seen other threads comparing it to the STI but it's comforting to read this review and know that there are people out there who are pleased with their WRX300s.

And KG386/Rich - how did you get your Tracker Safe Speed system? I think I might like to have one of those - just to be on the safe side!

Jo
Old 20 October 2005, 02:17 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WRX-Jo

And KG386/Rich - how did you get your Tracker Safe Speed system? I think I might like to have one of those - just to be on the safe side!

Jo
Hi Jo

The WRX300 should have an RAC Trackstar fitted as standard. You can enhance this by getting the car to beep at you as you approach fixed camera sites. You need to phone RAC Trackstar and set up a direct debit for £8 per month. Compared to fines and increased insurance if you get flashed, this seems a reasonable deal...!!!

Enjoy the car
Old 20 October 2005, 02:59 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I'll probably still have it after xmas so PM me then if ur interested.
will do man.
Old 20 October 2005, 03:01 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I recon that a dealer would sell you the ppp as they are surrently selling off the last of the 05ppp kits at reduced prices. i just dont think your country of origin (scoobs) will honour your warrenty if anything goes wrong
Old 20 October 2005, 03:18 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-Jo
Well after a month of delays/waiting, I finally collected my new WRX300 yesterday - hence I'm new on here. I'm trying to treat the car gently, but it's much harder than I thought to keep those revs down! I might have almost, momentarily, touched 4000rpm twice yesterday but having given myself a good slap on the wrist for that, I'm trying to keep it under 3000 today (and so far succeeding)...

I'd seen other threads comparing it to the STI but it's comforting to read this review and know that there are people out there who are pleased with their WRX300s.

Jo
Can I buy your spoiler?

(Welcome)
Old 20 October 2005, 04:07 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Spoke to I.M this morning and as you've all said it looks as if it's standard.. I rang the company in Malta who exported it and they said the same.. Motorpoint still claim they were told it was 260.. awaiting a call from them as we speak..

Quick Reply: WRX300 (3-month review)