Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2000, 08:57 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

Maybe a question for the DVLA gurus?...

I’m going to be selling my scooby soon but won’t replace it for another 5 months or so. I’d like to retain my number plate and use it on my next car. Do I have to transfer it to another vehicle immediately, or is there any way I can have the reg placed on retention until the new car arrives?

- ColinU.
Old 27 September 2000, 09:31 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I am just about to do this as well. The last time I put my private plate on rentention certicifate. I think it cost me £115 rather than the normal £80 to transfer car to car. Its far easier as I would have had to wait for the new car. I contacted my local VRO last time to get the appropiate forms. I tried last week at the post office bu they dont have them. The VRO's are listed in the phone book or on the DVLA site I think. If not then they have this info at the post office.

You can keep a reg plate on rentention permanently but you have to reapply every year and costs £35 (thats the extra from the £80 transfer ie. 80+35=115)

I think the figures are right but the last time was 2 years ago so they may be a little bit more now .

Hope this helps

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 27 September 2000).]
Old 27 September 2000, 09:43 AM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

We have recently put a plate on retention, and then later put it onto another vehicle. Cost is £105 (includes £80 transfer fee, so you don't have to pay again when you put the plate on your new car).

Forms are available from DVLA as the post office never has any.

A word of advice, do not leave the retention of the number plate to the last minute when you are selling the car. DVLA take at least 10 working days to process the paperwork!

Once you have received your retention certificate and new V5 DVLA will also send you a new tax disc (reflecting the new numberplate they have allocated to your vehicle)to put on your car prior to you selling it.

This entire process is paper based and takes ages.
Old 27 September 2000, 09:48 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Chrisp, Carolyn

Thanks for the info - the cost is less than I'd anticipated. Sounds like I'd better get the forms ASAP.

One further clarification...

Carolyn's message seemed to imply that when I put my reg on retention the DVLA will issue me with a new reg for my current car. Correct? (i.e. I don't have to apply for another reg through another process?).

- ColinU.
Old 27 September 2000, 01:15 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

It part of the process that you will be issued with a new number for the car, so you dont have to reapply for another number. She is also correct it is £105 my mistake . As she also said do it early as it took mine 7 days last time. They normal send you your tax disk with the new number back fairly quickly and you need to get new plates on the car. Also if its car with a warranty then you need to inform them. In my case I will inform IM as it has 1 year left.

You actually have to send your V5, MOT and tax disc. And they reissue with all three in the new number.

Also you need to tell you insurance company about the new number issued to the car.

I photocopied all the docs before sending and send them by recorded delivery .

Check ALL the documents when you get them back against your photocopies.

I am probably telling you stuff you already know but better safe than sorry.

hope this helps and good luck .

cheers

chrisp

Old 27 September 2000, 01:23 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info. I'm now fully armed to go and get my reg number retained and a new one issued.
Old 27 September 2000, 01:24 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

ColinU

Just one other thing - when you write to your insurance co and tell them of the reg change tell them that in the event of a total loss (touch wood, don't want to tempt fate) to the vehicle the reg plate is your property (actually it's the good old DVLA's - they just "rent" it to you)) and will not form part of the salvage.
There have been cases where a vehicle has been written off and the insurer has snatched the reg plate as part of the salvage and sold it for their own profit. Better to state ownership in advance.
Old 27 September 2000, 02:32 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

You only hand in your V5 and MOT cert to the DVLA office, you have to keep hold of your old tax disk and display the old number on the car until you receive a letter from the DVLA which will include a new tax disk, your amended MOT cert and an envelope to send back your old tax disk in.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get your new V5 from the DVLA, you will have a very hard job selling your car without it.
Old 27 September 2000, 06:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by sasim:
<B>You only hand in your V5 and MOT cert to the DVLA office, you have to keep hold of your old tax disk and display the old number on the car until you receive a letter from the DVLA which will include a new tax disk, your amended MOT cert and an envelope to send back your old tax disk in.

It can take up to 6 weeks to get your new V5 from the DVLA, you will have a very hard job selling your car without it.[/quote]

Thats strange because I had to send mine off. It was a couple of years ago but I remember ringing the local police traffic division and asking them about driving without a tax disc. They told me it was an offence but if I was stopped to tell the officer that the car was undergoing private plate registration. They could check with the DVLA and no fine would be given.

Like I say though, it was a couple of years ago and the rules may have changed. It will tell you on the form anyway.

Cheers

chrisp

Old 28 September 2000, 05:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

You DO have to send the old tax disc back before getting the new one (took my plate off retention a few weeks age).
Not likely to bother Plod if you explain situation. Put a note in the disc holder and quote the VRO ref no.