Hard-wiring a Origin B2

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 06:51 PM
dr jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard-wiring a Origin B2

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a separate lead avaliable or do i just cut the cigarette plug off and splice into a switched ignition feed

Thanks
Old 10 October 2005, 08:16 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

I've got an Origin B1 i.e the one before the b2. It said in the manual not too hard wire it, but they all say that. So i did, it was done proffesionally at a garge, the ciggi bit was chopped and it was spliced into the some electrics behind the dash. After a while i once turned the ignition on and off quickly by accident and the origin went bang! It works ok apart from no sound and no lights. Beware of hard wiring these things
Old 11 October 2005, 12:39 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to hard wire in my B2 because it was giving loads of false laser alerts through the *** lighter. I called Origin and they sent out some ferrite collars but said that hard wiring would be best.

Just cut the cable and strip it back, there's only 2 wires but they are very fine so be carful not to cut through them. To ge a good connection I had to double them over. For safety you might want to put an in-line fuse on it but the wires are that fine they're almost like fuse wire themselves.
Old 11 October 2005, 12:47 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Dr jim

I'll send you my picture guide to hardwiring in a b2 in a MY05 WRX later tonight if you like. The ferrite collar Origin supply is not good enough to stop ALL alerts so I bought one from Maplins that did solve it. However have now taken the laser alert off completely as the thing is flippin' useless and never worked accurately, even when a cop pointed a (laser) gun at me, hence my decision to scrap it.

Very easy, but the pics will show you how.

Andy
Old 11 October 2005, 01:47 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Dr jim

I'll send you my picture guide to hardwiring in a b2 in a MY05 WRX later tonight if you like. The ferrite collar Origin supply is not good enough to stop ALL alerts so I bought one from Maplins that did solve it. However have now taken the laser alert off completely as the thing is flippin' useless and never worked accurately, even when a cop pointed a (laser) gun at me, hence my decision to scrap it.

Very easy, but the pics will show you how.

Andy
Is there any chance that you could send it to me too please as i have just bought a B2 and want to hard wire it in my 1999 Type'R'.....

Thanks alot....
Old 11 October 2005, 03:51 PM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

I chose a slightly different method of hard wiring mine in as I wanted to be able to change the unit at a later date if required.

I therefore hard wired a fused cigar lighter socket from the battery, mounted it behind the centre console and ran the standard b2 cigar plug to this point.

This method has the advantage of being double fused and I can also upgrade to a different unit at a later date if required.