Sponsored by:

NewBie: WRX PPP Option

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 02:16 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewBie: WRX PPP Option

Got a WRX a month ago, happy I traded in my Honda Accord Type R and now enjoying effortless acceleration and serious levels of grip, 10/10 fun factor

Fuel consumption not bad, you'll be surprised; good to know I can get 350+ miles at a steady 70mph.

I'm think after about 4000 miles i'll getting the PPP, does anyone have any proper road tests of a WRX with PPP, as I'm not sure the 0-60 in 4.8secs in realistic? I know EVO mentioned the PPP, but didn't run any performance tests.

Also. my car is a daily drive, so I'm not always able to use all the power on my mobile speed camera infested route to work and have seen 33mpg with the WRX and 25mpg around town. Owning the Honda I appreciate VTEC and 18mpg, but 30mpg+ with moderate use (one got 37mpg on a long run)

Will the PPP kill fuel consumption in the lower reaches of the rev range (below 3k rpm), I appreciate dialling in high revs the fuel consumption will be awful, but I would expect that.

I know some will say why buy the scobby, well some days I live a fast drive and attack corners, other days I like a poodle along (especially past civil servants in vans with a movie camera)!

I do 15,000 miles are year, my wife doesn't like it when I use the power, so in her pressence I'm restricted to sub 3krp crusing, will the PPP effect the fuel consumption in this senerio?

ME having fun = 24mpg
ME + WIFE = 33mpg

Cheers,

Mike Paul

Last edited by mikepaul; 03 October 2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: tipos
Old 03 October 2005, 02:23 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

holy crap- are you me?? 70miles a day, pretty much all motorway, though so the fuel consumption could be worse (just)

got my 55 wrx on friday (trading up from a 316 compact- so there's more of a power difference for me), but i'm already thinking about PPP

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 03 October 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:25 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikepaul

Fuel consumption not bad, you'll be surprised; good to know I can get 350+ miles at a steady 70mph.

Personally I dont think I have ever seen more than 250 miles for a full tank.

PPP knowledgeable people will be along shortly

Glad you like the car though
Old 03 October 2005, 02:35 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Got a WRX a month ago, happy I traded in my Honda Accord Type R and now enjoying effortless acceleration and serious levels of grip, 10/10 fun factor

I'm think after about 4000 miles i'll getting the PPP, does anyone have any proper road tests of a WRX with PPP, as I'm not sure the 0-60 in 4.8secs in realistic? I know EVO mentioned the PPP, but didn't run any performance tests.

Also. my car is a daily drive, so I'm not always able to use all the power on my mobile speed camera infested route to work and have seen 33mpg with the WRX and 25mpg around town. Owning the Honda I appreciate VTEC and 18mpg, but 30mpg+ with moderate use (one got 37mpg on a long run)

Will the PPP kill fuel consumption in the lower reaches of the rev range (below 3k rpm), I appreciate dialling in high revs the fuel consumption will be awful, but I would expect that.

I know some will say why buy the scobby, well some days I live a fast drive and attack corners, other days I like a poodle along (especially past civil servants in vans with a movie camera)!

I do 15,000 miles are year, my wife doesn't like it when I use the power, so in her pressence I'm restricted to sub 3krp crusing, will the PPP effect the fuel consumption in this senerio?

ME having fun = 24mpg
ME + WIFE = 33mpg

Cheers,

Mike Paul
Well I had PPP fitted to Bugeye WRX and not only did it significantly up the cars performance, but it improved fuel consumption by about 10%, so all round I'm very pleased.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:27 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Didn't you have the option of free PPP when you bought it?
Old 04 October 2005, 02:57 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Didn't you have the option of free PPP when you bought it?
No PPP or free servicing option as I got a pre-reg car with 25 miles on the clock 2 months old for 17K
and 8.5k trade-in on a 60Kmile 2001 accord type-r (amazing trade-in), I refused to except less and the scobby dealer was facing a sales slump, I'm sure he still made a profit as the Honda Accord Type-R was sold within a matter of days and they get pre-reg cars very cheap from Subaru UK.

I wanted a UK car, for resale values, having got burnt with an euro import with my wife's car, Honda S2000, 1 year later Honda dealers refused to accept as a trade-in, we had to sell the car privately as we either got a not intererested or 16k for a car we paid 22k for a year before.
Old 04 October 2005, 03:03 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

PPP and Prodrive Springs are a must imo

Really flies plus actually easier to drive day to day due to more torque lower down - wait until you've done 10k and the engine is nice and loose and that grin will be even bigger

As mentioned no degredation in fuel consumption other than perhaps encouraging more right foot action

Definately recommend the springs, or if not just getting the 4 wheel alignement done as it absolutely transforms the handling of the car..

...oh, and if you have any money left then get the Subari quickshift, expensive but sharpens up the gear changes nicely

...and all warranty friendly too !
Old 04 October 2005, 03:13 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fitzscoob
PPP knowledgeable people will be along shortly
As will all the people who keep posting get TSL, get this, get that, get the other when people with a new motor really value their warranty! Granted its expensive for what you get but it pales into significance if you have to fork out a couple of grand when something really serious happens.

Also, if you expect to do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, invest in a clutch factory. Its not that stat that counts, it is the torque through the rev range which makes it a different proposition to the WRX standard.

I drove a standard WRX for 2 weeks prior to picking up my WRX300, and the difference was not only immediate, it was like driving a completely different car. I cant even begin to describe how much better the car is with PPP, just go down to your local dealer now, they will almost definately have a demonstrator with PPP in stock.

Fuel consumption is marginally better with PPP, but dont get too excited you'll be wellying it harder so it'll cost you more! But you'll have a much bigger grin on your face, and are unlikely to get embarrassed by morons in Clio Cups, Seat Leons and all the other pocket rockets around at the moment.
Old 04 October 2005, 03:21 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I agree with WRX300, if you have a warranty and want to keep it intact PPP is your only option and is worth the expense for the extra power and overall driving experience.

If you have a Scoob out of warranty (or want more power and don't care about your warranty) get a remap, (ecutek, etc). This will be much cheaper, offer similar power with the same mods and offer more flexibility for future mods.

You pays your money, you makes your chioce.
Old 04 October 2005, 03:21 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Honda dealers refused to accept as a trade-in, we had to sell the car privately as we either got a not intererested or 16k for a car we paid 22k for a year before.
£6k loss in 12 months is mere small change, wait till selling Impreza time comes! By the time you've bought PPP, it'll stand you at £18600. If you traded it today at a month old you would be lucky to get £13k with or without PPP.

Shame, you could have had mine with 5000 miles on it for £15k on ebay a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04 October 2005, 04:07 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
Shame, you could have had mine with 5000 miles on it for £15k on ebay a couple of weeks ago.
hows i going in that area by the way? you sold it yet or keeping?
Old 04 October 2005, 05:09 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Get your PPP fitted !

Performance is miles better, and fuel consumption is no worse.

The only thing that you may not realise is that your insurance will go up as well, about £100 a year, but it`s well, well worth it.
Old 04 October 2005, 07:52 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Get your PPP fitted !

Performance is miles better, and fuel consumption is no worse.

The only thing that you may not realise is that your insurance will go up as well, about £100 a year, but it`s well, well worth it.
My Insurance actually went down £50 thanks to A-Plan L&V wouldn't insure me after the PPP!

I can't say I've noticed as drastic a change to the car (MY05 WRX) as some seem to have done and fuel seems about the same. There's no disputing that the extra torque is a real benefit though and all-in-all I'm very happy with it. Mustn't forget the fact it sounds so much better as well
Old 06 October 2005, 11:36 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
hows i going in that area by the way? you sold it yet or keeping?
Keeping it now - managed to get work to pay all my petrol as expenses rather than a benefit in kind which has saved me a few hundred quid a month which can go towards the wedding.

Still, Skoda Fabia VRS will be here shortly, so i'm still open to sensible offers. An 05 WRX books at £14k trade and £16100 retail. Can't get a price from dealers as Glass' guide do not quote for WRX300 yet and these prices do not reflect the true value of the 300 model in my opinion.

I'm just glad that nobody bid £15k for it on ebay the other week, cos I really didnt want to sell at that price.
Old 11 October 2005, 08:48 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I agree with WRX300, if you have a warranty and want to keep it intact PPP is your only option and is worth the expense for the extra power and overall driving experience.

If you have a Scoob out of warranty (or want more power and don't care about your warranty) get a remap, (ecutek, etc). This will be much cheaper, offer similar power with the same mods and offer more flexibility for future mods.

You pays your money, you makes your chioce.
OHH MY!!!
I pick up my first ever Scoob tomorrow. It's a wrx 300 witht the prodrive spolier. PPP too. I am SO SO excited.