ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legacy 2.5 GT Spec B

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 11:02 AM
SRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy 2.5 GT Spec B

Subaru offers in the USA a special series of the 2,5 GT: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4111529&EDATE=

When will Subaru bring a 3.6 or 3.8 liter engine in the Legacy?
The Tribeca needs one, while the 3.0 liter is a little bit small for this big SUV; so, why not build such a engine and offer it too in the Legacy?

With a Turbo attached to it would make 400 HP possible.
Imagine that in a Legacy STI; would be a runner, don't you think?

Greetings,
SRX!
Old 21 September 2005, 06:32 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

The Japs get a 'Tuned by STi' version Legacy, sadly there's no viable market for them outside of Japan.

Old 21 September 2005, 07:46 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
The Japs get a 'Tuned by STi' version Legacy, sadly there's no viable market for them outside of Japan.

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/i...imgs/top04.jpg
Bollocks, IM believe there is no market for it in GB, and it may cost a few quid to get the emissions spot on for europe, but I for one would have one in an instant. I would have the JDM 2.0 Turbo or US 2.5 Turbo Spec B before buying the British 3.0 Spec B, purely for the turbo rush and tunability, as aside from these issues, the European versions are fine cars.
Old 21 September 2005, 07:54 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Selling 20 or 30 STi tuned Legacy's in the UK wouldn't be enough to warrant type approval and spares logistics.

If the Spec B is 27k, the STi would be at least 5k more, firmly in BMW/Audi territory, I know what I would choose if I wasn't already financially locked into Subaru.
Old 21 September 2005, 09:28 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Selling 20 or 30 STi tuned Legacy's in the UK wouldn't be enough to warrant type approval and spares logistics.

If the Spec B is 27k, the STi would be at least 5k more, firmly in BMW/Audi territory, I know what I would choose if I wasn't already financially locked into Subaru.

You are probably right. Nevertheless Subaru - for better or worse - is a much more mainstream name these days. The poor poor residuals would probably be the nail in the coffin.
Old 21 September 2005, 09:40 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
You are probably right. Nevertheless Subaru - for better or worse - is a much more mainstream name these days. The poor poor residuals would probably be the nail in the coffin.

Tell me about it, my car has lost £1000 per month over nine months!
Old 21 September 2005, 10:09 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

That intercooler scoop looks a bit small dont you think?
Old 21 September 2005, 11:14 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark_S
I believe discreet is the word you are looking for. When moving up to a car that that would try to lure people from fast European machinery, big bonnet vents and large rear spoilers don't really cut it (don't get me wrong, I have a Legacy GT-B and the wife has the WRX with an STI wing - love it to bits), and no, I don't believe that you would lure the majority of these driver's, but, some people enjoy driving these cars, and would happily put them on there company expense sheets. I know of one gentleman who recently traded in his AC Schnitzer BMW530d for a Legacy Spec B Estate, and hasn't regretted it for one moment.
Old 21 September 2005, 11:38 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_S
The Legacy turbo estate that I had (UK car with single turbo ) had a water cooled intercooler so all the bonnet scoop did was duct outside air onto turbo so no need for big scoop as Impreza with air cooled intercooler.

Great car though
Old 22 September 2005, 08:09 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
I believe discreet is the word you are looking for. When moving up to a car that that would try to lure people from fast European machinery, big bonnet vents and large rear spoilers don't really cut it (don't get me wrong, I have a Legacy GT-B and the wife has the WRX with an STI wing - love it to bits), and no, I don't believe that you would lure the majority of these driver's, but, some people enjoy driving these cars, and would happily put them on there company expense sheets. I know of one gentleman who recently traded in his AC Schnitzer BMW530d for a Legacy Spec B Estate, and hasn't regretted it for one moment.
I didnt realise the GTB has a chargecooler hence my question. I wouldnt dis a GT-B, it may be my next car!
Old 23 September 2005, 08:24 AM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTB's don't have chargecoolers.

Only the 1st generation leggys have chargecoolers (89-94).

Mark
UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register
UKLegacy.com
Old 23 September 2005, 09:20 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

One of the criticism's of the classic scoob was the efficiency of the intercooler, anyone seeking decent amounts of power generally fitted a FMIC. This was addressed by Subaru on the newage with a bigger intercooler and much bigger air scoop. The GTB scoop looks very small by comparison with the newage.
Just my opinion.