BUYING MY 1ST SCOOBY - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 05:09 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BUYING MY 1ST SCOOBY - HELP!

Hi fellas!

I went to look at an L-Reg WRX (import) at the weekend and was very impressed. Have agreed to buy this car for a little over 4k. The car comes with 128k km's (approx 79k), 17" alloys which are virtually new. M.O.T, but no Tax, Forge group 'A' dump valve, Blitz S/S exhaust, K&N ind kit and HKS turbo timer. THere is a slight crease on rear door and a couple of minor trolley dents.

With this being my first scooby, is this a fair price? Also, what should I double check before sealing the deal for this motor? Am a bit weary of getting parts aswell with it being an import. Will this prove expensive & timely?

Basically, ANY help on scooby's, especially the older WRX would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Acey.
Old 23 August 2005, 05:33 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

First thing to check is the insurance price ! for some people ( me for example ) getting insurance on an import can cost more than twice what a UK model costs.

Also, are you buying this privately or from a dealer ? - there are a lot of real crap imports bought over from Japan cheap - if it has just come over and the dealer is the importer, ask them for the auction report sheet - if they dont have one, leave it as you have no history on if the car has been written off etc...

You need to check if and when any work has been done to it - its going to need the belts changing at 90K ( assuming they were done at 45K ) which is expensive - in fact, unless you know it has been recently serviced, I'd put it in for a major one now as you dont have any history on the car.

If its fresh off the boat, budget for 4 new tyres as imports are often sitting around for a long time, and a few people on here have had problems with the tyres that come on them.

£4K is about the cheapest you can get an Impreza for ( unless its a complete dog ) so you're not going to get anything amazing, so expect some things to need sorting out - if you can get another £1K - £2K you'll have a much wider choice of cars, including later model imports, or UK ones with FSH.
Old 23 August 2005, 06:04 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for your reply Mike.

The best insurance quote i've had so far is just over 800 quid fully comp, which i thought was very resonable?

The guy I'm buying from is a trader, but it isn't a major dealer or anything. Pretty much just a lock-up garage full of high performance motors. Hence why I wouldn't be getting a warranty! He did offer to replace the cam belt for me before i bought it though, which is one thing.

It was imported a few year ago and has had two owners over here. There is no service history with the car but has some recepts. (One for a clutch kit in 2004). The wheels and tyres are virtually new though, which is good.

Can't really afford any higher as 5k was my initial budget for a car + insurance.

Is there anything else you can advise? Are the parts expensive and would i have to wait for ever?

Many thanks again,

Acey.
Old 23 August 2005, 06:09 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

sounds a bit rough, with all the little dents and crease in door etc,
there are loads about mate, just take some time out and for 4 grand you should get a good wrx, it might not be the first you see, but the right one will come along,

might be an idea to post the area your in, and someone off here might go with you to take a look at a possible purchase
Old 23 August 2005, 08:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by acey2005
Thanks very much for your reply Mike.

The best insurance quote i've had so far is just over 800 quid fully comp, which i thought was very resonable?

The guy I'm buying from is a trader, but it isn't a major dealer or anything. Pretty much just a lock-up garage full of high performance motors. Hence why I wouldn't be getting a warranty! He did offer to replace the cam belt for me before i bought it though, which is one thing.

It was imported a few year ago and has had two owners over here. There is no service history with the car but has some recepts. (One for a clutch kit in 2004). The wheels and tyres are virtually new though, which is good.

Can't really afford any higher as 5k was my initial budget for a car + insurance.

Is there anything else you can advise? Are the parts expensive and would i have to wait for ever?

Many thanks again,

Acey.
Being an import you'll also want to check that it has been run on SUL and OB whilst in the UK or remapped for UK fuel, or you might find you have to pay another 2k + for an engine rebuild. Problem with a car of this age is that it can be hard to trace the prev owners. At the very least get a compression check on the engine to give you some idea if its in half decent health. I'd advise a full independent inspection to be honest, taking a tyre kicker apprach to this kind of car is asking for trouble IMHO.

Parts are expensive I'm afraid; a scooby is not a cheap car to run! Sorry!

NS04
Old 23 August 2005, 08:35 PM
yam got a scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate and welcome..

Id also check for oil leaks. Especially if there is any around the rear of the sump as this means engine out to replace.. The front seals and rocker seals are not to bad especially if you are getting the cam belt changed.

I would also check that the power steering pump is not leaking as these go quite often and are a nightmare to stop leaking and even harder to find a good Used one....

Also make sure there are no missfires and that the scoob ticks over smoothly when idling..

As the other guys have said there are plenty around for the 4 - 5K mark most with History...
Old 23 August 2005, 08:51 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I'm sure theres a lot better cars out there to spend 5 grand on,rather than on some dodgy old import
Old 23 August 2005, 08:53 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

HI Yam & NS04

Thanks very much for your help. Very new to scoobies so don't know a great deal. Just always had my heart set on one and now is the time! Don't suppose any of you two live in west yorkshire and are free on friday afternoon?? Will pay you for your efforts!

Cheers!

Acey.
Old 23 August 2005, 08:54 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Hi Elmer!

Cheers for your advise! Only have around 4 - 4.5k to spend on the car as I need my insurance too and aint very rich unfortunately! You think I truly won't get a decent one for this price?

Cheers mate!
Old 23 August 2005, 09:06 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Hi Elmer!

You think I truly won't get a decent one for this price?

Cheers mate!
Almost certainly not from a trader with a 'Lock-up'

check out the for sale section and buy a used car with at least some known recent history would be my advice.

Subaru's and tight budgets are not a very good combo imho,regardless of its age or country of origin
Old 23 August 2005, 09:07 PM
yam got a scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Sorry I live in the Midlands

Dont get put off you should be able to get a resonable Scoob for your money. I was only on the same sort of Budget as you and I got a pretty good one
M reg £4500 Import Imaculate loads of history full mot and tax. It had a few small bits like the Power steering leeking etc. But had this sorted for not alot.

Theres nothing wrong with Imports either for one there faster than the UK models and there normally fully loaded even have a rear wash wipe. Plenty of places mail order you can get the bits aswell.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:26 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=yam got a scooby]Hi Mate

Sorry I live in the Midlands

Dont get put off you should be able to get a resonable Scoob for your money. I was only on the same sort of Budget as you and I got a pretty good one
M reg £4500 Import Imaculate loads of history full mot and tax. It had a few small bits like the Power steering leeking etc. But had this sorted for not alot.

Theres nothing wrong with Imports either for one there faster than the UK models and there normally fully loaded even have a rear wash wipe. Plenty of places mail order you can get the bits aswell.[/QUOTE I have to agree with the yam-yam, i ran animport WRX Wagon for two years with no trouble at all. That was an M plate and had137,000 miles on it when some muppet wrote it off for me. The difference between imports and uk's is spec and power, which the import wins everytime. Plus the jap version of the mot is very-very strict so the car has to be in good condition to pass. Every scooby i have had has been imported and i would'nt have anything else. I now have an imported STI V7 Wagon. You will get a decent scooby with some history, just be patient,i mean why give your money to some ropey dealer in a lock up who is just off loading someone elses trouble, for a few quid. Get on the net and scour the trader, you may have to travel to look at one but most of the people on here would pop outto have a look for you if you see one in there area. I'm near to brum, so if you see one drop me line or one of the other brummy's and we'll do our best to help. Good luck and be patient mate.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:46 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

Hi fellas!

I went to look at an L-Reg WRX (import) at the weekend and was very impressed. Have agreed to buy this car for a little over 4k. The car comes with 128k km's (approx 79k), 17" alloys which are virtually new. M.O.T, but no Tax, Forge group 'A' dump valve, Blitz S/S exhaust, K&N ind kit and HKS turbo timer. THere is a slight crease on rear door and a couple of minor trolley dents.

With this being my first scooby, is this a fair price? Also, what should I double check before sealing the deal for this motor? Am a bit weary of getting parts aswell with it being an import. Will this prove expensive & timely?

Basically, ANY help on scooby's, especially the older WRX would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Acey.
hi m8,
look here at this wagon for 4 grand, and its immaculate because we see the car every thur.
Its in grimsby aswell, so not far from west yorks.

well worth a look i tell you http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&page=61&pp=20
Old 23 August 2005, 09:47 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Being an import you'll also want to check that it has been run on SUL and OB whilst in the UK or remapped for UK fuel, or you might find you have to pay another 2k + for an engine rebuild. Problem with a car of this age is that it can be hard to trace the prev owners. At the very least get a compression check on the engine to give you some idea if its in half decent health. I'd advise a full independent inspection to be honest, taking a tyre kicker apprach to this kind of car is asking for trouble IMHO.

Parts are expensive I'm afraid; a scooby is not a cheap car to run! Sorry!

NS04
dont mind him, the old import wrx;s will run fine on 95!!
Old 23 August 2005, 09:52 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Really appreciate your help mate! If i see one near Brum i'll be sure to give you a buzz.

Many thanks,

acey.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:53 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Never really thought about the wagon tbh. Could well be interested though. You got any pics??

Cheers.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:56 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
dont mind him, the old import wrx;s will run fine on 95!!
albeit briefly tho

some good advice from NS04 there
Old 23 August 2005, 10:05 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

Never really thought about the wagon tbh. Could well be interested though. You got any pics??

Cheers.
click on the link i gave you and you can see on there what the history of the car is and ive just asked him to get some pics up for you to look at.
Well worth a good look m8, and im not just saying that.
Or failing that send the lad a PM.

cheers paul

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&page=61&pp=20

look down to about the 5th or 6th post. Or come and talk to the lad on the northern page and click on the grimsby/ cleethorpes thread
Old 24 August 2005, 08:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind as well they arent cheap to run and maintain, not the car if you need to do a lot of mileage commuting etc.. - I know a couple of people who have bought them because they were cheap, then had to sell them again as they couldnt afford to keep filling them up with petrol !

Lock up full of imports sounds a bit dodgy though ! would steer clear from sellers like this myself - find a good private sale where the owner has obviously been able to afford to run it properly, and knows the history of the car.
Old 24 August 2005, 10:31 AM
New_scooby_04

HI Yam & NS04

Thanks very much for your help. Very new to scoobies so don't know a great deal. Just always had my heart set on one and now is the time! Don't suppose any of you two live in west yorkshire and are free on friday afternoon?? Will pay you for your efforts!

Cheers!

Acey.
Sorry mate, I live the S.E! Please do take note of the petrol issue, there cars were designed for the jap market! If you don't want to take my word for it that imports need more than 95 Ron, speak to David at API engines who rebuilds lots of scooby engines and as such is a genuine expert! People do run them on regular 95 petrol and get away with it, but its only a matter of time...... Is it worth the risk, especially since a rebuild would amount to half the value of the car, possibly more!?

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 12:05 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sorry mate, I live the S.E! Please do take note of the petrol issue, there cars were designed for the jap market! If you don't want to take my word for it that imports need more than 95 Ron, speak to David at API engines who rebuilds lots of scooby engines and as such is a genuine expert! People do run them on regular 95 petrol and get away with it, but its only a matter of time...... Is it worth the risk, especially since a rebuild would amount to half the value of the car, possibly more!?

NS04
lad a wrx of that age will happily run on 95ron ok?
at the end of the day a car runnin on any fuel will break ur heart if u just plain drive the bolox out of it! which i am convinced thats what a lot of you guys are doing!
Old 24 August 2005, 12:12 PM
yam got a scooby
Scooby Regular

You may aswell run it on the Super Unleaded. Its only a few pence more expensive. The performance will be better and it is better for the car. At the end of the day if you want a scoob and are willing to run one why skimp on what fuel you put in it.....
Old 24 August 2005, 12:14 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

If you are looking at cars in West Yorkshire, my advice would be to avoid Keighley trade centre and beeches motor company, also in Keighley,
having bought a car there myself and my mate buying a car from the other we both had problems
Old 25 August 2005, 07:07 AM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, never thought i'd get this much help buy joining a forum! Glad I did now. Heard about that Keighley trade centre. Seen a couple i quite like from there and considered taking a look.......Now I won't though! Cheers.