Running in a New STi

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 05:08 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running in a New STi

OK so here's my problem......

My New STi will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow afternoon (albeit without the PFF7's which are on backorder), but I have to drive to NW10 in London on Friday which would mean me doing about 110 miles round trip.

Now this would be a good chance to put some miles on the car but it would involve me driving down the M1 and the North circular - for those that don't know the NC is always stop start slow speeds as is a fair chunk of the M1 from J13 but there are some patches where you can cruise at speed (on the M1).

Question numero uno..... Would the above sort of drive be ok? I've read in othe threads that cruising at motorway speeds is not good when running in a new car (<1k service)

And number 2 (which I suppose only I can answer depending on number 1) the WRX is going in as part ex, the M1 and North Circular being no problems on a good day and crash test dummies central on a bad day.... what would you risk? The New car or the Part Ex

Cheers

Andy
Old 17 August 2005, 05:13 PM
ChriSTi
Scooby Regular

Dunno any of the answers really, but just take your time, its a Scooby at the end of the day, should be fine. Just keep on the inside lane and enjoy your new ride.

Btw, what sort of deal did you do to get the PFF7's, as you've done exactly what I want to do when I get my blobeye, get rid of the original wheels and put PFF7's on from new ?what sort of price "adjustment " did you have with the garage ??
Old 17 August 2005, 05:22 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

ChriSTi YHPM
Old 17 August 2005, 05:48 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by T4molie
OK so here's my problem......

Question numero uno..... Would the above sort of drive be ok? I've read in othe threads that cruising at motorway speeds is not good when running in a new car (<1k service)

Andy
Andy,

Not really ideal if you drive at constant engine speed mate. You need to vary the revs and load on the engine by gently accelerating up and decelerating down through the gears, keeping to the recommended rev limit of 4k. This helps bed all the moving parts in nice and evenly. At least I think that the procedure! It's all in the manual mate. Basically don't flog it, give it some nice varied conditions to deal with and don't take the 1k service as an invitation to red line it. Inrease the rev limit in increments. Scoobies don't really start to loosen up till about 5k miles, sometimes more.

NS04

NS04
Old 17 August 2005, 06:00 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by T4molie
I picked my new 05 up in March,from southampton....

...next stop Antwerp,Belgium,via the tunnel of course

Doesn't seem to have done it any harm and that was 9k miles ago
Old 18 August 2005, 09:05 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys

Well it seems whether I can pickup the STi this afternoon has been answered by the plumber

I've got a knackered Divertor Valve and he rang last night to say he wants to come and fit it this afternoon so guess I'll be at home with my feet up

Roll on Saturday