Sponsored by:

Turbo smile

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2000, 05:17 PM
mphnw11
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I took a Cerbera out on Sunday, lovely looking car, amazing looking dials and interior, even if I now have 3 weeks in traction to straighten my back.

Guy who showed me around was very pleasant too - not a boy racer and mellow when test driving. I then had a go - all I could say is that I was disappointed. The guy reassures me these things need heavyweight loosening - ie 5-10K before they free up, but it felt positively sluggish. I then glanced at the speedo and the thing was about to take off. So I think I'll stick to the Scoob, loads of fun - I may get a fine, but probably not the cell, and it feels just right when you slip your foot down and the turbo whistles...

Before anyone responds, I know the Cerbera can easily beat a Subaru in a straight line - it just didn't feel so good
Old 18 September 2000, 05:22 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

I've heard similar comments beore. Can't imagine driving a Cerbera in the wet !!

Neil.
Old 18 September 2000, 05:26 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

To be fair though you're a lot more used to driving the Scoob than the Cerbera so to get a better comparison you should drive the Cerbera for a week. Besides it is a different type of car - the Cerbera is more of a Grand Tourer muscle car.

Try to convince the 'nice guy who showed you around' to lend it to you for a week.

Old 18 September 2000, 05:35 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cerbera in the wet?

Be afraid... be very afraid....

Brute power, rear wheel drive and wet roads just don't mix.
Old 18 September 2000, 05:37 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Question

Always fancied a blast in one.
Was it a Speedsix or AJP 8?

Martin
Old 18 September 2000, 05:47 PM
mphnw11
Scooby Newbie

Martin

Now you've got me

It was a 4.5L v8, not a Speedsix - what does the AJP bit stand for - I guess I should read all the brochures I got. Oh, the other bit that was really bad was that it costs about £50k new - and the insurance quote. Well, I realised that age 30 and London postcode is just not pleasant... but it paled the subaru into triviality. Take one out though, I'd be interested to hear someone else's viewpoint. I tried it at Hawthorn's in Farnham
Old 18 September 2000, 05:51 PM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has the 4.5l version and that is certainly not slow. Definately not a Grand Tourer. The acceleration in that thing was immense. Much, much quicker than my WRX.

I would say you got in a duff one!

Mark
Old 18 September 2000, 05:55 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Talking

Correct me if i'm wrong someone, The AJP engine was a V8 that was designed by TVR for the Cerbera over and above the Rover derived V8 which is still used in the Chimera and Griffith.
Martin
Old 18 September 2000, 06:08 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool

my mate has a 4litre Chimera and that can leave my MY97 uk standin' but in the wet i think i would have the edge!!!!!!LOL
but it is lovely and very low to the ground.
But like all TVR's just how practical are tey when you go to the golf club? Shopping? Taking your mates out? or Taking the laydeee's out 4 the nite??? LOL
not that that happens that often but I do pick my G/friend up then her mate, then we take home another female friend!! and having the room in the Scooby does help!

Every one stops and stares though when you drive around in that throbbbbin' V8 lump!! and not just the 8-14 year old that look at you in a Subaru!! LOL
Old 18 September 2000, 07:48 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cool

4.5 V8, V quick, how does a Ton in approx 8 secs sound. And then there's that wonderful TVR throb. In a straight line (providing you are careful with the throttle) it will leave most cars behind, but in the wet it's a different story. That's probably why TVR owners have 2 cars. The Cerbera and the Evo or Scooby.

P.
Old 18 September 2000, 07:55 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AWD:
<B>
Cerbera in the wet?

Be afraid... be very afraid....

Brute power, rear wheel drive and wet roads just don't mix.[/quote]

Sez who? It's a jolly good laugh
Old 18 September 2000, 08:36 PM
NATH
Scooby Newbie

Lovely looking cars and the exhaust note is awesome and second to none.

Shame about the reliability problems though. I had done less than 100 miles when i first en-countered problem number one.....after problem number fourteen and only 500 miles clocked up,they had it back.....shame really as i had no excuses for being late to work anymore.

Nath
Old 18 September 2000, 08:54 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

In the long and distant past had for a short time a new 2.8lt V6 powered Taismin.(Same engine as the old 2.8 Capri)

Made a great noise but was possibly the worst built car I have ever owned.

In its time seemed quite a fast car , part of that was the impression of speed due to the ride hight of the car.

But in the wet it was a total nightmare and would oversteer at the slightest touch of the accelerator.

It leaked like a colander and misted up after 10 minutes and most of the condensation was down to the leaking air-conditioning.

Eventualy sold it on at a great loss to someone who exported it to Hong Kong.

Having said all this I would like one day to buy a new Tuscan Speed Six Red Rose, great looking car with amazing design details.

Grant
Old 18 September 2000, 09:24 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NATH:
<B>the exhaust note is awesome and second to none.[/quote]

Second to none?? I can think of one that betters it

SimonM

(Not biased at all)

Old 18 September 2000, 09:38 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I have just bought a 94 WRX and my girlfriends sister bought a P reg TVR Cerbera a few weeks ago. While I agree the Tvr may look fancy and go bloody quick in a straight line (in the dry), we both went out for a spin down a few miles of country road in each others cars and she agreed that the WRX was a lot better on the twisty stuff. We will be taking them both to Croft track day in the near future to see how they do. (But not if it rains apparently!!!)
Old 18 September 2000, 09:41 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Oh Yes! I'll have to get my brakes sorted before then
Old 18 September 2000, 09:48 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I had a test drive in a 4.2 a couple of months ago It was fantastic in a straight line once you got it off the mark. I am sure it would blow away my Subaru on any road with long bends and good visability. But on the roads I drive I think the Subaru would be the quicker car. I did not like being unable to see some exits on roundabouts. In fact I did not like being that low full stop. I could not afford one anyway