Sponsored by:

Clocked at 105mph :(

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 02:17 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clocked at 105mph :(

After owning a few 200bhp motors three nearly 300bhp motors my last being a nice P1 I get caught speeding in an 115bhp golf at 105 mph while having an argument with my missus, I know stupid me.
Question is me being 29, clean license, 105mph on a dual carriage way am I looking at a ban? I'm hoping for 6 points

Also do they have 14 days to write to me, or is it a diff ball game as I'm going to court?

Also I'm looking at the Road Angel 2, any good? Is the laser detector part of the same unit or a sep unit? Are these any good for hand held laser devices?

Last edited by keen dean; 10 July 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10 July 2005, 02:24 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Hard luck matey! I think some sort of ban will be in order!! Probably 28 days or so. RA2 the laser pickup is all but useless mate, by the time it goes off, they have you.
dave
Old 10 July 2005, 02:26 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Dam, there has to be a way to detect them, clean license for 9 years then one incident and you get banned, seems a little harsh
Old 10 July 2005, 02:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

What did you get caught by?
Old 10 July 2005, 02:42 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Sorry matey. Don't stress, assuming you were done on a Gatso or Laser gun/van you can rest assured that 105mph will only be 95-99mph in the real world. If it's clocked you at over 95mph in a 70mph you will have a court appearance, if indeed it's under a ton you'll get 6 points + £300 fine for example. If over a ton you need a solicitor to fight your corner and get a 10% reduction due to inacuracy of their equipment which again would bring the same outcome.

If they do you over and you get a ban it's likey to be 14 days or so.

Good luck.

P.S. Give the wife another slap
Old 10 July 2005, 02:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Think you need a laser jammer not detector..
Old 10 July 2005, 03:37 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Good to see more getting caught... Great news... Keeping my taxes down and getting the incompetents off the road...
If you were doing 105 (about 100 if calibrated) you'll get what you get and a clean license in the past or not, well that doesnt count for ****. It wsnt as if it was momentary lapse in concentration. In a car like that it must have taken ages to from 70 to 105 ...Ooops... If arguing makes you a danger on the roads pull the fork over in future
I've never shot a pensioner in the face with a sawn off shotgun before, but if I do and I get caught I'll still do much bird...
All IMHO of course And yes... I'm liking the smilies today
Old 10 July 2005, 03:55 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Yes I expected a reply like that, no surprises there, but I'm not going to rise to your bait. So please keep this thread on topic.

It was a handheld device and I was pulled over it was 105.
Old 10 July 2005, 04:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

i got 6 points and £100 fine for 100.3 mph on motorway, previous clean licence.

Theres always one *** end that pops up on these threads, get a life FFS
Old 10 July 2005, 04:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keen dean
Also do they have 14 days to write to me, or is it a diff ball game as I'm going to court?

It was a handheld device and I was pulled over it was 105.
As you were pulled over and notified of the offence they now have 6 months to inform you of a court date Get a solicitor, and once you have the date you will need to see the calibration certificate for their equipment and the training certificates for the officer operating it.

www.pepipoo.com is your next port of call
Old 10 July 2005, 04:15 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

my dad got 14 day ban for 104mph......
Old 10 July 2005, 04:18 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Due to a recent experience I know the facts are:

A NIP (notice of intended prosecution) must be sent to you with 28 days, therefore if not received within 5 weeks you are OK.
You have 28 days from receipt to reply, stating who was driving etc.
They then have about six months to issue a court order (summons), although this is not a set time scale. (mine was offence in Nov, court order April for May date).
It is not the speed you where travelling at, but the speed over the speed limit, ie 105 in a 70 = 35 over limit.
Anything 30 and over is likely to result in a ban between 14 days and 4 months, taking into account conditions, previous etc.
With a barrister my 34 over the limit was 6 points and £500 fine, allready have 3, so last chance option. The barrister argued that a ban would be excessive as I work from my van and therefore a ban would stop me from being able to work and therefore would effect my family as well as myself.

Nixon is probably right if the speedo read 105, then actual would probably be 5-10% less. The GPS in the van and scoob reads 10% less than speedo. In which case you should be just in for points and fine. And obviously expensive insurance!
Hope this helps
Old 10 July 2005, 04:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Exclamation

Not forgetting that once pulled over all the copper has to give is a verbal NIP. You dont have to have anything through the post other than a court date.
Old 10 July 2005, 04:23 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

They were sitting in their car, they then pulled me all over and showed me the reading of 105mph of the laser gun. So I'm stuffed really, I could pay a solictor but I'm propper skint at the moment. So it's looking pretty bleak, unless the guy was not trained to use the laser equip or such like.

Thanks for all the advice, looks as if I'll be using that brillant allternative known as public transport which is just the best and so reliable and cheap
Old 10 July 2005, 07:15 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2 pennies worth
got nicked a while ago in my golf gti on a motorway clocked at 104mph.
luckily i know i was doing faster than that when i saw them and slid by a lorry but the damage was done so they say and they showed me the reading.
then letter arrived within a week.totally clean licence in over 15 years of driving so asked opinions of mates and rang advice bureau. was told that i should reprsent myself as it was my first offence and i would probably get a fine and points. went down to the courts.
first thing i noticed was that ev eryone who had legal advice were seen first so by the time they saw me they were in a bad mood.they tried to throw the book at me but after a bit of explanation they reconsidered and i still got 2 weeks ban, £250 fine and 6 points. so the moral of the story is it dosent matter what the situation is, it all comes down to how the magistrate on the day intepretes the issues.but to give you a rough idea you may be looking at a ban (no longer than 14 days), some points and a fine.yolu could spend money on legal aid, but in the end the best thing is to go down there, plead and fight your corner and then take the punishmnet on the chin.

oh the silver lining to the story for me was when i got the licence back, they had forgotten to put the points on so i was a happy lad
Old 10 July 2005, 07:19 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
my 2 pennies worth
got nicked a while ago in my golf gti on a motorway clocked at 104mph.
luckily i know i was doing faster than that when i saw them and slid by a lorry but the damage was done so they say and they showed me the reading.
then letter arrived within a week.totally clean licence in over 15 years of driving so asked opinions of mates and rang advice bureau. was told that i should reprsent myself as it was my first offence and i would probably get a fine and points. went down to the courts.
first thing i noticed was that ev eryone who had legal advice were seen first so by the time they saw me they were in a bad mood.they tried to throw the book at me but after a bit of explanation they reconsidered and i still got 2 weeks ban, £250 fine and 6 points. so the moral of the story is it dosent matter what the situation is, it all comes down to how the magistrate on the day intepretes the issues.but to give you a rough idea you may be looking at a ban (no longer than 14 days), some points and a fine.yolu could spend money on legal aid, but in the end the best thing is to go down there, plead and fight your corner and then take the punishmnet on the chin.

oh the silver lining to the story for me was when i got the licence back, they had forgotten to put the points on so i was a happy lad

TILL NOW
Old 10 July 2005, 08:37 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

I think your right, one question though, I thought if you loose your license you can't get points as well, it's one or the other?
Old 12 July 2005, 10:42 PM
bzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Good to see more getting caught... Great news... Keeping my taxes down and getting the incompetents off the road...
If you were doing 105 (about 100 if calibrated) you'll get what you get and a clean license in the past or not, well that doesnt count for ****. It wsnt as if it was momentary lapse in concentration. In a car like that it must have taken ages to from 70 to 105 ...Ooops... If arguing makes you a danger on the roads pull the fork over in future
I've never shot a pensioner in the face with a sawn off shotgun before, but if I do and I get caught I'll still do much bird...
Of course Abdabz, you've NEVER broken the speed limit or lost concentration while driving, have you..........? The guy's asking for help and constructive advice FFS, not a fecking lecture!! If you can't think of anything helpful to say, then DON'T bother!!!
Old 13 July 2005, 12:56 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Well I see PS LEWIS has changed his name to Abdabz, I say no more!
Old 13 July 2005, 01:44 AM
SHADWELLARMY
Scooby Newbie

This might help you as ive been there mate! I got caught doing 129MPH in my old saab 900 and i got a 3 month ban and a £750 fine. All i can say is dont bother with a solicitor as all they will do is say exactly what you have to say, which is your sorry and you wont do it again. You will get a free duty solicitor on the day anyway to say it all for you. There is no defense unless you can prove the cops equipment wasnt measuring correctly on the day so dont bother wasting your money mate. I saw a guy go in before me who had got done on his bike for 119MPH and he needed his car for work and all that and he had paid good money to a solicitor and they banned him aswell. I wouldnt worry too much about the ban and fine, id worry more about the insurance cost in the next couple of years as mine is roughly double what it would be if i had a clean licence. And for the do gooders out there, give the guy your support as im sure youve done the same speeds and dont try and pretend you havent, your're just lucky not to have been caught like me and this guy.
Old 13 July 2005, 03:03 AM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

Old 13 July 2005, 03:48 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

My 2ps worth.

Me and a mate on the way to Goodwood, clocked at an average of 115mph over a mile. My buddy got 28 days and a fine and his insurance went up a bit.

I got pulled over at an indicated 110mph on the way back from a footy match. 28 days, a fine and my insurance went up at a bit.

My point is yes, it's a pain in the ****. We were both gutted. But the ban flies by, the wasted money smarts a bit but you soon forget about it. Don't worry about it bruv... take it on the chin and/or just blame the missus.

P.S All the pious "I'm gald you've been caught brigade" should look here
www.micra.com.au
Old 13 July 2005, 08:18 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Same thing happened to me

But I investigated further and it seems that any points given in parallel with a disqualification are nulled by the disqualification - so they might as well of given you 500

Maybe the magistrates don't know this, or maybe there's some other reason for giving points at the same time as a disqualification?
Old 13 July 2005, 10:43 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Who lost the arguement? They should pay the fine and subsequent rise in insurance
Old 13 July 2005, 10:49 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I got pulled for 109 on the M3 near basingstoke got 3 points and 300quid fine, I told the judge I needed my car for work and also got my mate to keep paging me througout the hearing to show how important to the company I was.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:51 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by MartinM
Same thing happened to me

But I investigated further and it seems that any points given in parallel with a disqualification are nulled by the disqualification - so they might as well of given you 500

Maybe the magistrates don't know this, or maybe there's some other reason for giving points at the same time as a disqualification?
The only reason I can think of is if you had, say 9 points beforehand. Then the next time you get done speeding, be it 35 in a 30 or 130 in a 70 - you'd get a ban regardless, so it detracts from 'going for it' regardless IF for example you then get a ban and 6 points, the 6 points is added to the 9, equalling a longer ban, or more severe fine etc.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:00 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I got 6 points and £200 fine for 128MPH at Wetherby Magistrates

Yes I was extremely lucky, bought a lottery ticket that day as well but I didnt scoop the jackpot

Old 13 July 2005, 11:01 AM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Hey, thanks for the support and the advice, so I am better off in the long run to have a ban and not be given points?
Is it worth mentioning that the stretch of road was very clear, traffic was all moving at 80mph + early in the day, clear road?
I've spoken with my boss who will write me a letter if it's worth anything to the court?
I'm just gutted, but what can I do about it, I'm loads more para now, it's so easy to get caught, to me the road conditions were good, I'm not excusing the speed but life goes on. I'm looking at a RoadAngel 2 now for piece of mind, I've gotta hope on the day the court is in a good mood
Old 13 July 2005, 11:07 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

keen dean

This is how I approached the situation.

I got clocked with a handheld radar at 128MPH but the officer said my average between points A and B was 111MPH so he put that down.

I attended court, waiting room was full of chavs in tracky bottoms and caps, I was fully suited up with shirt and tie, got in front of the magistrate and pleaded no excuse, admitted I was stupid / wrong and that I am not normally that irresponsible.

Pleaded that it was a sunny summer afternoon and traffic was scarce (got caught on the A1) and that I also require my car for work.

I took on board the telling off from the magistrate, yes sir no sir etc, 10 minutes later magistrate come out and told me they were going to do something very unusual and that was not to ban me (ban is norm in Wetherby at 100+) and they were going to give me a chance to prove I can be more responsible. I got 6 points and £200 fine.

Overall I guess it depends on the magistrate on the day but there are certain things you can do to help yourself - presentation / manners etc

Good luck

Old 13 July 2005, 11:18 AM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Han, thanks for the tip, yep defo going suited and booted, luck of the day-Cheers

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105mph :(