Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best but least annoying speed camera detector?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2005, 09:24 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best but least annoying speed camera detector?

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a speed camera detector and don't know which one to buy. Can anyone help? I know there's been threads on this before but I need to ask specific questions.
Firstly I want a detector that picks up ALL cameras, therefore I need one with laser and radar. However, as it's thought that these systems will become illegal soon I need one where you can turn the laser/radar detector on and off.
Secondly I want one that won't annoy me, i.e. one that doesn't bleep so much you just want to throw it through the windscreen. I've heard that some are like this and continually bleep whilst in the vicinity of a camera. In comparison I've heard that some go into 'silent' mode when you reach the correct speed limit.
A detector that tells me what the correct speed limit is for the camera would be nice also.
Finally I don't want one that has to be hard wired to the car.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Cheers, Toby
Old 08 July 2005, 09:31 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Origin B2.

You can alter all the beep volumes - tells you what speed the camera's trigger point is.

Installation is quite simple - you will need to hide a few wires behind the dash but it just plugs straight into the *** lighter. The laser detector can just be unplugged if you wish. radar detector is an optional extra.
Old 08 July 2005, 09:38 AM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

roadangle is good but it cost a £££
Old 08 July 2005, 09:44 AM
black scoobs
Scooby Regular

road angel 2 mate .its got every thing you`v asked for, it brings up gatso,truvelo,specs,watchman,ds2,mobile laser guns but not only that it does accident blackspots and much more ...... If you dont want the beeps then you can turn them off and the screen normally blue ,will flash red when anything is sencered ,also its so easy to fit it goes in to your ciggy hole and its ready to go and because its gps it legal. hope this ansers your question
Old 08 July 2005, 10:04 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

origin b2
Old 08 July 2005, 10:07 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

another vote for origin b2
Old 08 July 2005, 12:15 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

B2 def for me. used to have the origin Blue i and it was crap. the B2 is small, wll built and customisable.
Old 08 July 2005, 12:51 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

another vote for B2

std B2 comes with seperate gps receiver which enables display to be mounted away from vertical line of sight of sky, e.g. can put display by gear stick out of normal sight. The gps receiver can also be hidden under stuff as it'll still pick up a signal - mine's under the Defi pod and works fine It lets you know every fortnight that it needs updating and lets you find out when your subscription will expire (50 quid a year.) Only downside I've found is the speaker's a bit "garbled" - don't expect Hi-fi quality sound or voice out of it and it doesn't take much volume for the distortion to creep in which means it's awkward if the stereo's turned up a bit...

B2 solo - gps receiver is in cradle where display sits - more compact and interchangeable between cars but has to be in view of sky.

Either origin can have laser detector plugged in and hence can be removed easily if / when they become illegal. Also can get hold of "garage door openers" that plug in but you're on legally sticky ground with these Radar detectors supposed to be released in the near future but on previous origin performance, don't hold your breath... ;( (unless they've already come out then I'll retract the last bit )

Road angel ver 2: has to be in line of sight of sky unless you purchase the extra gps receiver. Laser detector built in so unit needs to be stuck to windscreen for it to work properly. Apparently there's supposed to be a firmware tweak that can turn off the laser detect bit if they get banned - see Blackspot for details. Subs payable for this unit as well.

Road angel ver 1: had one of these for years and never had a problem with it as a basic unit but things move on and more features are available on other, newer units. I bought the lifetime sub for this and have given it to my old man now I've got the B2.

I can't remember the site address at the mo but there's a web page with a big table on it listing all the features of the various units
Old 08 July 2005, 12:53 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

or how about something like TomTom Go and get the speed camera database for free which you update as and when you connect the unit to the pc?
Old 08 July 2005, 01:27 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Another happy B2 user
Old 08 July 2005, 01:29 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Snooper SR6 NEO

You can get it in Costco at the moment for £234 which is a good price.

Picks up new DS TWO cameras, SPECS and all the other usual stuff. Radar and laser is not built in so you can remove - turning it off is not gonna save you when they become illegal.

You can change beep volume, smart mute if you a traveling below limit in vicinity of camera. Turn it to beep at differnt distances from camera.

Nick
Old 08 July 2005, 02:32 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Ive got the RA2. Would recommend to anyone. Dont know how I lived without it now.
Old 08 July 2005, 03:01 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your replies guys. Have already looked at the snooper 6 neo, Road Angel 2 and origin B2 and was unsure which one to go for. It sounds as though the origin B2 is the best but if the wires have to go behind the dashboard does this mean having to take it apart? If so I'm not sure I fancy doing this.

Also, does anyone know anything about the TR30? Supposedly it's replacing the B2. It does everything I want but looks like it's not particularly easy to fit.

Cheers, Toby
Old 08 July 2005, 03:02 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick L
Snooper SR6 NEO

You can get it in Costco at the moment for £234 which is a good price.

Picks up new DS TWO cameras, SPECS and all the other usual stuff. Radar and laser is not built in so you can remove - turning it off is not gonna save you when they become illegal.

You can change beep volume, smart mute if you a traveling below limit in vicinity of camera. Turn it to beep at differnt distances from camera.

Nick
Hi, What is smart mute?
Cheers, Toby
Old 08 July 2005, 04:08 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Take a look at a DriveSmart unit.

It may not be as sexy as some other products around but it has regular updates to the camera locations DB .. approx every week as well as periodic software upgrades to add functionality to the unit .... ALL FREE ... ie no annual subscription. Works out much cheeper that other products over time especially as it covers Europe as well and includes built in laser detection ... which can be switched off or complemented with an external number plate mounted sensor.

Believe me .. the support from these guys is absolutely fantastic as you can see from the forum that they run ... and no I have absolutely no other 'interest' in DriveSmart or its people... other than being a customer.

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/forum/

This site provides a comparison to other models ... http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/rad...comparison.asp
Old 08 July 2005, 04:26 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Anyone used this database with tomtom? Does it warn you what speed to travel at?

Originally Posted by Apple
or how about something like TomTom Go and get the speed camera database for free which you update as and when you connect the unit to the pc?
Old 08 July 2005, 04:51 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

there's just been a file released that replaces the sound file on the tomtom with one that gives you the speed warnings for each site as you approach it

have a look on www.pocketgps.co.uk for more info and the files

on tomtom you can set it to warn you at any reasonable distance before you get to the site so you might set a 30mph camera at 100yds and a mobile laser at 1000yds etc.

I had my B2 and tomtom on for a holiday up to scotland and the tomtom came up with more alerts as it covers more places where cameras have been e.g. mobile ones on m-way bridges etc - it doesn't mean there's anything there at the time you pass but it warns you there might be...

each system has it's own good and bad points about the database...

best thing is keeping the observation levels up and not going "too fast" it's just nice to know in advance where the safety cameras are...
Old 09 July 2005, 04:21 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
there's just been a file released that replaces the sound file on the tomtom with one that gives you the speed warnings for each site as you approach it

have a look on www.pocketgps.co.uk for more info and the files

on tomtom you can set it to warn you at any reasonable distance before you get to the site so you might set a 30mph camera at 100yds and a mobile laser at 1000yds etc.

I had my B2 and tomtom on for a holiday up to scotland and the tomtom came up with more alerts as it covers more places where cameras have been e.g. mobile ones on m-way bridges etc - it doesn't mean there's anything there at the time you pass but it warns you there might be...

each system has it's own good and bad points about the database...

best thing is keeping the observation levels up and not going "too fast" it's just nice to know in advance where the safety cameras are...
How does the tom tom know where mobile cameras are if it doesn't have a detector as such. Surely if it's relying on a database it won't be up to date witht the mobile cameras?
Cheers, Toby