Subaru UK and Jap imports

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 01:18 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru UK and Jap imports

Just been to my local dealer (Donalds in Peterborough) to order a back-box mounting bracket for a Jap import sti5.

Instantly told: "we can't supply the part, it's for a Jap import."

Asked why, got told: "Subaru won't supply us parts for Jap imports, sorry."

Retorted with: "But you service them, so that's a load of crap."

Donalds defended with: "If you don't believe me, phone Subaru UK."

Hmm, having worked as a motoring journo (in the bike world) for about 12 years, this didn't sound right since, as far as my memory serves me, an EU directive was passed around 1998 forcing UK importers to take responsibility for parts and service of non-UK cars (the debacle, I believe, began through a row between Honda UK and parallel importers of its vehicles which culminated in a directive being passed to encompass EU-sourced parallel imports. This, I recall, was later upgraded to global coverage of both parallel and GREY imports).

Smugly, the chap in Donalds gave me Subaru UK's customer services' number for verification that he was right. Phoned the number - 0121 522 2000 - ready for an argument.

Lol, "yes Sir, what's your chassis number, ordering a part for a Jap-market car? No problem. What would you like?"

Embarrassed faces in Donalds.

It didn't end there, however.

Once the embarrassed bloke had scuttled off into his pile of paperwork, a helpful woman sat beside him phoned to check if she could order the part herself and was told she could but had to submit the order by fax.

Lessons learned: a customer can order a Jap market part from Subaru UK with more ease than a dealer.

The dealer was wrong - they can order the part. So, don't take that excuse from yours.

The guy on the customer services phone confirmed Subaru UK now has a global parts locator, despite what your dealer may tell you.

After all that, they couldn't help me anyway - to get a backbox mount you have to buy a complete backbox, apparently

Out with me tin-snips and empty paint cans later....

Last edited by scoobywentbang; 27 June 2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 27 June 2005, 01:46 PM
WRXJase
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm

Find this interesting.

Bought my car from Donalds and have always found them to be OK. That said what is news to me is that Subaru UK will now source JDM bits. If the lead times are OK then I foresee a JDM spec STi on the shopping list.

How long did they quote to get the part?

Jase

Edited to say.... Forget it. I'll read to the bottom next time. DOH!

Last edited by WRXJase; 27 June 2005 at 01:49 PM.