Sponsored by:

Oil temp & pressure gauge fitting problem

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 08:39 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp & pressure gauge fitting problem

Ok bare with me on this one cos it gets a little upside down and back to front and if no one can help me the oil temp sender is gonna end up as a wheel bolt and the pressure sender is gonna become a gear ****. The instructions I got with my j3autosport stealth gauges are cr*p but this is what I have managed to research so far on the net.

These instructions tell me that the oil pressure sender goes here Under the I/C

http://www.wrxtra.com/Documentation/doc-1004.pdf

But these instructions tell me the oil pressure sender goes here (behind the alternator)

http://www.mudd90.freeserve.co.uk/technicalstuff_diy5.htm

But I thought that the oil temp sender went under the I/C as shown here

http://www.mudd90.freeserve.co.uk/technicalstuff_diy4.htm

But this guy says it goes here

http://www.wrxtra.com/Documentation/doc-1001.pdf

Both complete opposites and now I am completely confused

Where do I put what, who, where and how?????

Please can someone just tell me how its done and while they are at it where can I get the braided hose for the oil pressure sender from. Supposed to have it at scoobymania but I can't see it on the their website.

I am pulling my hair out here!!!!!!

Old 25 June 2005, 08:55 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Depends what year your car is I believe. I think only the later models (certainly on my old MY00) had the option to connect it above the No.3 piston. Some more info is still available on Nick's useful info here.

What year is your scoob?

If you have the screw above the No.3 piston you should be able to see the blanking plug by shining a torch into the engine bay. Face the engine from the front of the car, and look down by the left hand side of the intercooler onto the engine block. If you can see it there (it has a hex indentation) then you should be able to follow the guides from there.

I ended up putting the oil temperature above the No.3 piston (near the intercooler) and the oil pressure using the connection near the alternator.

Last edited by Hanslow; 25 June 2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 25 June 2005, 08:58 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

I have a pre facelift 95 WRX
Old 25 June 2005, 09:03 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
If you have the screw above the No.3 piston you should be able to see the blanking plug by shining a torch into the engine bay. Face the engine from the front of the car, and look down by the left hand side of the intercooler onto the engine block. If you can see it there (it has a hex indentation) then you should be able to follow the guides from there.
Yes I have got that far but the two different instructions contradict each other. Now I am confused as to what one goes there and what one goes behind the alternator. And one of the instructions talks of the oil temp sender going through the oil sump plug??
Old 25 June 2005, 09:05 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

You can do the oil temp sender in either place. The sump plug however gives you the temperature of oil in the sump (obviously) so can be a different temp to oil currently in the engine. Also, you have to make sure that dealers don't throw it away and replace with a standard.

As I said, I had the temperature plugged into the block above the No.3 piston (under the intercooler) and the pressure plugged into where the original pressure sender was. Never had a problem with that setup
Old 25 June 2005, 09:13 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

As I said, I had the temperature plugged into the block above the No.3 piston (under the intercooler) and the pressure plugged into where the original pressure sender was. Never had a problem with that setup
Thanks mate, I'm finaly getting somewhere. Now, when you fitted your pressure sender would it fit ok behind/under the alternator or did you need the braided hose extension as shown below?

Old 25 June 2005, 09:16 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, the oil pressure sender fit OK (it went in place of the original oil pressure sender). The oil temperature that I plugged into the block under the intercooler required a small piece of braided hosing to allow it to fit into a space big enough.

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2005, 09:18 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, the oil pressure sender fit OK (it went in place of the original oil pressure sender). The oil temperature that I plugged into the block under the intercooler required a small piece of braided hosing to allow it to fit into a space big enough.
Sorry that's bollox!!! It was the pressure that needed the braided hose and the temperature screwed straight into the block above piston No.3. (sorry for the confusing previous post )
Old 25 June 2005, 09:28 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Sorry that's bollox!!!
lol , where did you get it from?
Old 25 June 2005, 09:38 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

It all came from my appalling memory I did mine in 2001, but sold the car sometime in 2002/2003 so I couldn't remember exactly which one went where. I followed Nick's guide (on the link I posted earlier) when I did mine. So it wasn't until I reread them that I remembered which one went where!
Old 25 June 2005, 09:41 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha ..... No you goon !!!! Where did you get the bit of hose from?
Old 25 June 2005, 09:55 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

lol Well and truly deserved that one

I think I ordered it from http://www.thinkauto.com. IIRC I just dropped them an email telling them exactly what hose I wanted, with the correct threaded adaptors on each end and they made one up and sent it to me. If you tell them what it's for they should be able to sort out the best hose for you. Best to give them a ring or drop them an email and tell them what you want and they should be able to quote you a price. Failing that, someone like Scoobymania should be able to provide you with one.
Old 25 June 2005, 10:02 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Ok mate, will do. Thanks for all the help. I'm still laughing over the above.............

Tomorrow is another day
Gaz.
Old 25 June 2005, 10:06 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

No probs chap You should sort it in no time at all. Glad I provided some entertainment Better stop drinking the wine now
Old 25 June 2005, 11:03 PM
mo mo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
Thanks mate, I'm finaly getting somewhere. Now, when you fitted your pressure sender would it fit ok behind/under the alternator or did you need the braided hose extension as shown below?

hows it going i am trying to follow this but you all have lost me i am fitting a boost,afr and an oil pressure gauge to my 2002 wrx tommorow or monday the boost and afr should be no problem but the oil pressure no idea how to do this its a 52mm megan racing guage i have, with the sender will i need a stainless steel hose to fit this as i do not have one and does it fit in behind the alternator aswell cheers MOMO
Old 25 June 2005, 11:16 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha, You are where I was at about 14.00 today. I really wish I could help you but I think your engine layout would be a bit different to mine as I have a 95 WRX. Hopefully someone on here will know where it goes.

One question I forgot to ask if Hanslow is still reading, where does the wire that used to be on the old pressure sensor go after fitting the new one. Does the ecu need to gain data from it still?
Old 25 June 2005, 11:31 PM
mo mo
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha, You are where I was at about 14.00 today. I really wish I could help you but I think your engine layout would be a bit different to mine as I have a 95 WRX. Hopefully someone on here will know where it goes.

One question I forgot to ask if Hanslow is still reading, where does the wire that used to be on the old pressure sensor go after fitting the new one. Does the ecu need to gain data from it still?
these things are sent to test us but i just had a quick look under the bonnet and the sensor is in the same place right down behind the alternator with the wire coming off the top just like you said but now it looks like i will have to get a stainless steel hose made up but no idea where i will get one asap i would also like to know wot to do with the wire that is there the now aswell so lets hope HANSLOW is still with us cheers MOMO
Old 25 June 2005, 11:40 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Well, slap wrists time.... I had a similar question up elsewhere about the hose and this is what I got told.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...43#post4722143

A bit closer to home, only problem is its not tried and tested yet.

Good luck
Old 25 June 2005, 11:53 PM
mo mo
Scooby Regular

Well, slap wrists time.... I had a similar question up elsewhere about the hose and this is what I got told.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...43#post4722143

A bit closer to home, only problem is its not tried and tested yet.

Good luck
did you buy one of these hoses from halfords and did it work fine there is a place beside me called pirtek or something like that they do things like that maybe the could make something up wot sort of pressure should the pipe take cheers MOMO
Old 26 June 2005, 12:02 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mo mo
did you buy one of these hoses from halfords and did it work fine there is a place beside me called pirtek or something like that they do things like that maybe the could make something up wot sort of pressure should the pipe take cheers MOMO
lol... Go back and check the thread. Then check the times and dates of each post. Then come back and ask that question again.

As for the pressure needed, if you tell the people who are sorting it for you what it is for i'm sure they would ensure it would be up to the job.
Old 26 June 2005, 01:33 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

ok we need

And the pressure sender connects to it like this (also the original one we were talking about earlier fits on the side so that wire we thought would be left hanging can still be used)

Parts required are:

Part number LMA095/100/1 Subaru t-piece kit 1/8bsp 100mm oil pressure pipe
and
Part number LMA067 sender unit adaptor M18*1.5 to 1/8NPT

Can be ordered through Halfords or direct @ http://www.lma-group.com/

Hope this helps mate
Old 26 June 2005, 11:09 AM
mo mo
Scooby Regular

ok we need

And the pressure sender connects to it like this (also the original one we were talking about earlier fits on the side so that wire we thought would be left hanging can still be used)

Parts required are:

and

Hope this helps mate

nuthing straight forward is there but i will go up to halfords the day and order it cheers for your help MOMO
Old 26 June 2005, 12:35 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Had to go to bed due to too much wine

On my MY00, the original pressure sender could be removed completely. AFAIK it only sent a signal to the ECU if the pressure dropped below a certain amount. As a result, in normal day to day running it meant that it never sent a signal so you should be able to remove it without any adverse effects. The only downside is that if the ECU had any safety features that acted on a pressure drop, these now wouldn't happen.

You can get round this by getting a t-piece connector and running the original and new pressure sensors of the t-piece and connect the t-piece into where the original pressure sensor used to be.

I never bothered with the t-piece and relied on my seeing any pressure issues. IIRC the pressure level at which the original sender sent the signal was extremely low anyway and you'd probably already realise something was up.

Oops! Bit late, replied to the post from halfway down the first page to find you've sorted all the connections out in the pics
Old 26 June 2005, 02:29 PM
mo mo
Scooby Regular

ok we need

Parts required are:

and

Hope this helps mate

went to halfords and asked for the pipr and sender adaptor the young boy that served me did not have a clue so i will just order it from lma direct it will be allot easier than dealing with doughnuts cheers for the help MOMO
Old 26 June 2005, 02:56 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Looking at those abortions of sender unit's I'm wondering if a defi sensor could be wired up instead..

Much neater and fooking easier connection.

Ignore the top one that's the boost gauge sensor..

Andy

Andy
Old 26 June 2005, 04:45 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mo mo
went to halfords and asked for the pipr and sender adaptor the young boy that served me did not have a clue so i will just order it from lma direct it will be allot easier than dealing with doughnuts cheers for the help MOMO
lol, just called them myself and they had never heard of LMA. Bunch of Goons!!!
It's probably on their shelf but they don't even know it.

As for the defi sender fuzz, it looks a very similar size to the sender I have already. Was there no problem with the alternator being in the way?

Phone call to LMA tomorrow I think.
Group buy anyone????
Old 26 June 2005, 06:43 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

nope, it's tiny

Andy
Old 26 June 2005, 07:04 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
nope, it's tiny

Andy
Oh well, I'll stick with what I have and get the "mod hose". Don't fancy the expense of a new sender when the one I have is brand new. I think it will still look quite neat with the braided hose and all that jazz........... Plus as it's a t-fitment I can still keep the old sender operational for the ECU.