Sponsored by:

Engine problems???????

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2005, 12:37 PM
volturb40
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems???????

Hello i was thinking of trading my volvo s40 turbo to an wrx or sti but i'm a bit concerned over the amount of engine and gearbox failures i'm seeing on this forum and others, my volvo has been good with no engine probs apart from a MAF and has a K@n 57i air filter, jetex s/s system, dump valve, bleed valve and has been superchipped. Volvo's are definatly not the most reliable cars but engine failures are very rare, i really like the look of the impreza and it would be an 04 or newer, have these the same engines or are they uprated, i would not be upgrading the car at all apart from maybe a dump valve, another question it would likely be an import whats the score on fuel? can you just put in at the petrol station or have you to put in additives, thanks.
Old 12 June 2005, 01:16 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, I own an import. Can get away with running it on just super plus/optimax. Although as a minimum i would say either get your ecu remapped for uk fuel or use octane booster. Depends on how much you are going to use the car as to which is best cost wise.
I use mine mostly as a second car so use octane booster, although regular use probably best to get it remapped.

As for the engines, mines on just over 100k and an import and so far still going strong and it does get a thrashing.
(Putting flame suit on) seems to be more the sti,s that go pop and those that are highly tuned.
If you are going to keep it pretty much standard then there should be nothing really to go wrong, just use the right fuel!.

Sure that people will add to this but thats a start, hope it helps.