Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a Scoob Virgin with an arse problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2005, 11:40 PM
Scoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a Scoob Virgin with an **** problem...

I just got my very first Scoob today! Absolutely killing me having to stay under 4000 revs though... I've noticed a bit of a common thread, do about 50% of the other drivers believe that because you own a Scoob that they have to drive about 2" off your ****? Obviously I can't boot it at the moment, but is it their god given right? I've just got a MY05 WRX PPP, sounds bloody good!

Anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 04 June 2005, 11:54 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Yeah mate, got my first Scoob (MY05 WRX, no PPP ) a few weeks ago too, and I noticed the same thing straight away, that people can`t resist trying to push you. Funny thing is, I`d just come from a Civic Type R as well, and I never had the same problem when I had that. People obviously don`t see the CTR as the same kind of "threat" maybe ?

Anyway, have fun running the new beast in, you`ll soon get to the magic 1000.
Old 05 June 2005, 12:05 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, Impreza has become a cult car gold standard against which everyone wants to benchmark there own heap

Anyway, welcome .........

Not bad for a farmer's car , are they
Old 05 June 2005, 12:16 AM
Scoo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys! Feel reassured now... Just reading the manual tonight, I see that it recommends super unleaded with 98RON - I filled up in Sainsburys tonight (83.9p for their super unleaded) but it's only 97RON - does this mean I need Optimax instead? 83.9p is acceptable to my wife as it's the same price as regular unleaded in some garages... Optimax would kill her, and if she's still slightly alive, me too!

What's the score with super unleaded / Optimax anyway?
Old 05 June 2005, 12:28 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Most Super unleaded is 97RON (but years ago I think used to be 98RON and the occasional garage still has old stickers on the pumps) Shell Optimax really is 98.5 RON. Normal unleaded is 95RON. The UK scooby is OK on any of these. The specific warning about "use super unleaded only" written on the fuel filler etc is because the cars are sold europe-wide and in some of the continent their fuel is lower grade ie their super is like our normal.

With PPP, Prodrive say 97RON is recommended to get the best of the performance but it is not actually going to cause any harm by using 95RON.

Anyway sod all that and get yourself down to a Tesco for some lurrvley 99RON superunleaded they knock out at about 85p/l.

Not guaranteeing this info is spot on for the MY05 but that was the score a year or two ago.
Old 05 June 2005, 01:50 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeh I've noticed people up my **** ever since I got my 05 STi uk PPP last week. I have also noticed that as soon as i come up behind someone when they are going slow, they sudenly speed up. Wanting to se if I can pass them on the straights, so then they can brag to there mates that they kept an STI behing them. So they won.
Covered 600 miles in a week running it in. It got 800 on it now. it's booked in for it's 1000 mile service next week. That's when the PPP get put on. Not looking forward to losing it for 3 days.
Kept to 4000 revs for 500 miles & have increase the rev by 1000 for every 100 miles or so. Can't quite see the point in 4000 revs for 1000 miles.
Ford handbook for the RS said keep below 4000 revs for 500 miles then vary the revs, just don't red line it. Seems commen sense to me.
When i had a 172 their manual said 3000 reves for 623 miles and thats it, after than gun it. Which I obviously did. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to run a car in, but I think Fords description is about right.

Sorry for the whaffle............. p****ed. Sat night & all that.

STilover
Old 05 June 2005, 10:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

only ever had the odd one sticking up my **** to be fair
i think most people see the paintjob and dont fancy there chances

a few weeks back there was a dark coloured wagon with a half lit headlamp right up my chuff while i was travelling home around the northeast coast
Old 05 June 2005, 05:00 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

I get it all the time - not only do people drive up your a*se, they will do some really stupid manouevre just to prove they can pass you in busy traffic. What I have started to do now is slow down, wave them past and then do the same thing to them and flash my lights...until the Mrs gets too scared and I have to slow down.

Not only that, but you also get lots of people give you dirty looks as you drive past them in their cars...

I have to admit there are times I wish I had a more understated performance car.
Old 06 June 2005, 08:16 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pabs
..... flash my lights...until the Mrs gets too scared and I have to slow down.

Not only that, but you also get lots of people give you dirty looks as you drive past them in their cars...

I have to admit there are times I wish I had a more understated performance car.
Bringing yourself down to that level is not the answer. And driving in a manner that scares passengers is stupid, not surpising your getting dirty looks. And perhaps a more understated driving style would help.

Sorry is the comments offend, but posts are always being put up regarding bad driving in others, lets not propoagte the theory that it's impreza drivers.
Old 06 June 2005, 08:54 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

People often are up your backside. Let 'em make idiots of themselves. I had a tw@t in an old 8 series yesterday with his pointy beak about a foot away from my back bumper on a B road. I had the wife and two kids in as I often do (practical family four door car after all!). I always used to think people in fast cars look quite cool serenely cruising along and I think its true - safe in the knowledge you could blitz most of the opposition should you so choose of course....Plus I know someone who rose to the bait of a boy racer and promptly ended up in a ditch.
Old 06 June 2005, 09:34 AM
New_scooby_04

Yep, happens quite often mate! Let em get on with it. Don't be tempted to boot it each time to show them up as you'll need to use all your restraint and discretion now you've got a Scooby :-) RE: running in, very important that you do as the manual says, don't forget that the car has running in oil for the first 1k, so keep it below 4k, with nice varing loads on the engine...i.e. not on a motorway at the same speed for miles on end :-) Regarding petrol, my personal pref is for Optimax, the car runs very well indeed on it. SUL would be fine too, 95 RON- personally I wouldn't, although it won't hurt the car, you won't get the best out of it and it may run a little rough. Everyone I know who has PPP says that that the car runs like poo with 95 RON and you really need SUL. It's only a few pence more....not worth scrimping on in my estimation.

All the best and enjoy the car.

NS04
Old 06 June 2005, 09:38 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Not looking forward to losing it for 3 days.
3 days???? What's going on there, then? Are they using it as the mechanic's runabout for 2.5 days?

When the PPP was put on on my MY03 STi, it took a day. I delivered it to the garage about 10am and took a courtesy car up to Yorkshire. By the time I got back at about 5pm they'd fitted:

PPP
Towbar and electrics
Boost gauge

In one day...

And the 1000 miles service is just an oil change. A lot less work than fitting the towbar, electrics and boost gauge! I'd have another word with your garage, if I were you...
Old 06 June 2005, 10:20 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Yep, 3 days seems a long time. Surely half a day or no more than one day??
Old 06 June 2005, 10:49 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

...never had any problems with other drivers until i put a big winged STI V spoiler on the boot and had a big fat shiney angled exit afterburner blasting its shockwaves out the back......Red rag to a bull.
My fault...

Actually had the rear window tinted so i wasn't distracted by the glare in their eyeballs when i looked in my rear view mirror.

Don't mess with boy racers....it isn't worth it.

Last edited by pappasmurf; 06 June 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06 June 2005, 12:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pappasmurf
...never had any problems with other drivers until i put a big winged STI V spoiler on the boot and had a big fat shiney angled exit afterburner blasting its shockwaves out the back......Red rag to a bull.
My fault...

Actually had the rear window tinted so i wasn't distracted by the glare in their eyeballs when i looked in my rear view mirror.

Don't mess with boy racers....it isn't worth it.
Good advice. Besides, if you believe some of what you read on here, they will waste you in their 1.2. Corsa's anyway; cause Scoobies aint that fast at all you know.

Let em get on with it

Pappasmurf...I'd say your add ons are more like White Lightning to the Chav!

NS04
Old 06 June 2005, 12:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Aparently, Prodrive now insist the ECU is sent down to them. Some dealers were'nt sending them back if the customer then changed their mind.
So a day to send, a day at Prodrive, & a day to get it back & fit it.
Old 06 June 2005, 12:44 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Mine was independently mapped not PPP, but I'd be annoyed to have to wait three days. If the original ecu box is now used and not replaced you would have thought they could have the dealers upload the new map themselves. They could keep track of this with licenses etc. Or could the dealer not bung a temporary standard or PPP ecu back in your car rather than keep you off the road for an extra two days?
Old 06 June 2005, 02:10 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Aparently, Prodrive now insist the ECU is sent down to them. Some dealers were'nt sending them back if the customer then changed their mind.
So a day to send, a day at Prodrive, & a day to get it back & fit it.
Who's the dealer? Sounds a load of tosh to me! Maybe they weren't returning them, so Prodrive have put them on special arrangements?
Old 06 June 2005, 02:32 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt worry about people sticking on your ****. id be more worried about parking it in public i simply wont risk it now
Old 06 June 2005, 05:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

GMD of Durham.

Aparently no other car can run with another cars ECU. Sounds commonsense.
Old 06 June 2005, 08:54 PM
Scoo
Scooby Newbie

When they were ppp'ing my car, they sent the ecu down to Subaru they said (Prodrive?). It went down one day and came back two days later.

Apparently it is the only way to get the free PPP deal, according to the dealer...