ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Jap Import rules

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2005, 08:03 PM
MeshMark
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jap Import rules

I was wondering if there is anything to be concerned about regarding newer/older models being imported or having been imported to the uk from Japan.
I am thinking about buying a Subaru Legacy B4 RSK or a Blitzen or the S401 as I would like something a bit different but from the Subaru Clan.
When I rang a guy up at a garage he mentioned something about you couldnt import the b4 anymore something to do with someone spending thousands of pounds on a model report and there isnt one for this model or something to that effect.
Does anyone know what this means as the the last thing that i would want to happen is to buy a vehicle and then to find out i can't use it in the uk.
also what should i make sure the garage or person has when buying an import in terms of documents.
I was thinking of importing a car myself and selling my car privately but I am too worried now in fact I would be concerned buying an import now and may be forced to buy a lesser spec uk model which is very unfortunate as i think most uk subaru dealers are to**ers from my experiance anyway.
I would appreciate any enlightenment
thx
Old 30 May 2005, 09:44 PM
MeshMark
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by MeshMark
I was wondering if there is anything to be concerned about regarding newer/older models being imported or having been imported to the uk from Japan.
I am thinking about buying a Subaru Legacy B4 RSK or a Blitzen or the S401 as I would like something a bit different but from the Subaru Clan.
When I rang a guy up at a garage he mentioned something about you couldnt import the b4 anymore something to do with someone spending thousands of pounds on a model report and there isnt one for this model or something to that effect.
Does anyone know what this means as the the last thing that i would want to happen is to buy a vehicle and then to find out i can't use it in the uk.
also what should i make sure the garage or person has when buying an import in terms of documents.
I was thinking of importing a car myself and selling my car privately but I am too worried now in fact I would be concerned buying an import now and may be forced to buy a lesser spec uk model which is very unfortunate as i think most uk subaru dealers are to**ers from my experiance anyway.
I would appreciate any enlightenment
thx
come on someone must know the answer to this one
sorry for being dumb but if you know the answer help me out or point me to a site where i can read it for myself
Old 30 May 2005, 10:20 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Don't know much about it - but this seems to explain is fairly simply.

http://www.torque-imports.co.uk/importfaq.php
Old 30 May 2005, 10:25 PM
MeshMark
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BedHog
Don't know much about it - but this seems to explain is fairly simply.

http://www.torque-imports.co.uk/importfaq.php
thx bedhog will check to see if the car i want is listed
Old 04 June 2005, 11:20 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way around this is to import your car via Cyprus. All Theships bringing cars from Japan stop there anyway. You can get your car SVA'd there for alot cheaper. Thats what I'm doing. Look for SVA Centres in Cyprus in Japanese Performance Magazine.
Old 04 June 2005, 11:29 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Are you just talking about the SVA or is it a way round importing a car with no Model Report - like my FTO - as it is a MY97. If you get it done in Cyprus does that mean because it is registered in a European country u can then bring it to the UK?? /me gos off to order an R34
Old 04 June 2005, 11:40 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmacFTO
Are you just talking about the SVA or is it a way round importing a car with no Model Report - like my FTO - as it is a MY97. If you get it done in Cyprus does that mean because it is registered in a European country u can then bring it to the UK?? /me gos off to order an R34
Because it is a European country, they still have to do the same SVA as the UK. The only difference is they provide the Model reports at no extra cost. They also re-calibrate the car into MPH, putting a MPH sticker on the clocks, put the smaller UK fuel neck in and instal a rear fog light to make your car UK legal.