Is my clutch slipping or is it SUL? - serious question

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2000, 04:38 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there,
I have started using SUL after a few comments posted on the bbs about how they noticed a better performance. MY99 and 21,173 miles.
Anyway , i am starting to notice over the last week or so that every now and again whenever i hit the accelerator in 4th gear, the revs indicator goes up to max like speedy gonzales while the speed stays the same - comments i've got from other drivers/collegues say that it is my clutch that is starting to slip.
Last Wednesday I went to fill up with petrol at a remote petrol station (they didn't have SUL so i filled Scooby up with Premium) The car went back to how it used to be, same old acceleration / same old noise / same old feel.
Having experienced SUL i decided to go back and join the fan club, so i am back using SUL again. Now, I have been out driving for most of the day and the car is doing the same as before.. but in 3rd and 4th gear now.. i put my foot down on the accelerator... revs go flying up.. but the speed stays the same... ? i don't understand it...
Anyone at all know what the problem is here? anyone had similar experience with this??? Should i go back to premium??? I should go get it serviced but i do not have time off... Can anyone help?
Ian

PS- I know this is in the wrong section and it should be in drivetrain, but from experienced alot of topics in the drivetrain section do not get looked at and i need some advice about this.

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 02 September 2000).]
Old 02 September 2000, 05:47 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I would say that your clutch is slipping.

The clutch on my Landcruiser slips occasionally, but when you try to make it slip it never does.

It might just be a slight problem with the Hydraulics.

SS
Old 02 September 2000, 05:50 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just been out again, and while going along at 50mph in 4th gear , push the accelerator to the floor the revs shoot up to max and speed stays at 50. Just had a chat with the old man about it and he says "yep! clutch is slipping - wouldn't happen if you had a mercedes" well yeah. So, Monday morning it's going up to a dealer to get sorted out.
Worries me how a 1 year old car has done this after 21000 miles! Oh well.
Ian
Old 02 September 2000, 05:53 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

sasim thanks for the reply.

Is a clutch change a easy or major job? how quick can it get done? anyone know??
Ian
Old 02 September 2000, 06:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Hos,
The old way to check if it is the clutch is to start the car, put the handbrake hard on, and try and pull away in say 3rd gear. If the car stays still and the engine revs go up then it's the clutch. Clutch slip happens first in higher gears. I don't think it's the petrol (sorry). Good luck. DL
Old 02 September 2000, 08:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hos.
Get it changed asap as otherwise you wil damage the flywheel.
It takes a decent garage that knows what they're doing about 3-4 hours to change a clutch.
It may also be worth upgrading it to an AP or similar, as they're not much more expensive (if at all) than OE ones.

Stef.
Old 02 September 2000, 11:31 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Hos,

I saw in Revs magazine, (I know, I know, I have stopped reading it and have repented.) that a clutch change costs the wrong side of £600 . Anyone confirm this?

P.

Forgot to ask, do you abuse the clutch, loads of traffic light GP's etc, ride the throttle during gear changes or rest your foot on the clutch pedal. Saying this, I wonder if it could have been incorrectly adjusted from factory.

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 02 September 2000).]
Old 03 September 2000, 12:45 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Hos, leaving the clutch pedal depressed when waiting at traffic lights will, over time, weaken the springs that supply the clamping force to the clutch.

I imagine that when the clutch is taken out you'll find that the clutch material is OK ,for mileage, but the springs have been weakened.

Saying that it could easily be other things that have been mentioned.
Old 03 September 2000, 01:56 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for all the replies... i really appreciate it.
DL- It definately is the clutch now without a doubt... the car was fine this morning and after going out again tonight for a video - i was worried i wasn't going to get home. 3rd 4th and 5th gear are all crap... and 2nd is starting to do the same.

Stef- I'm gonna take it to the garage first thing Monday morning and get it sorted out. I've thought about upgrading it, and AP is probably the way to go- otherwise it may happen next year? and i'll be none the better.

With the AP clutch, is the gear changed still the same? I've heard things about Skylines having AP clutches and them being a nightmare.... most likely these are totally different but it's worth finding out before anything gets done.

Sith- Revs! you could be reading worse
600? Oh dear this is looking quite amusing now! i should maybe just get a new car? lol - that was a joke by the way! and about your questions:

do you abuse the clutch?
- I must do if this has happened after 21,000

loads of traffic light GP's etc?
- not sure fully what you mean here... but yeah... i basically never take it out of gear at a traffic light. Into the habit of using the hill brake virtually all the time, so whenever i'm not on a hill i just hold the clutch in with the brake on.

ride the throttle during gear changes or rest your foot on the clutch pedal?
- Nope i don't do this one... foot rests either on the floor or covering the break pedal... i can brake with both feet, something i've got good at over the past 3 years...

Saying this, I wonder if it could have been incorrectly adjusted from factory.
- I think the 2nd question has possibly got the problem of it. I also do drive quite hard every now and again... so that it can all count up.
What does worry me is how sudden this has happened,... I only had a service last week- I know it doesn't count for clutches as they can't possibly check it, but this has happened and got very bad within 1-2 days.
I'm not a very happy guy at all about this.
Ian

PS- I'll let you know what the garage says on Monday
Old 03 September 2000, 10:01 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Hos,

yours went exactly like mine did, fourth gear first then rapidly getting worse.

Get it done ASAP. AP or Helix clutch would be the best bet. Can cope with power but its not a complete nightmare like the full on racing clutches.

When they do the clutch get the flywheel checked and replaced if needed, mine wasnt and caused even more damage needed a gearbox rebuild.
Old 05 September 2000, 12:09 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ok, had a choice of taking the car to either falklands performance centre (glenrothes) or a local subaru dealer. I chose the dealer in the end because any parts under warranty could have been done. Boy did i make a mistake! (I've edited and taken out the name of the dealer just incase they are actually on here , because i mentioned scoobynet to them and they know of it. I don't really fancy going up there tomorow and they have a go at me for having a go at their reputation).
Well they have taken the clutch out and basically said it is completely worn out and my flywheel is a little cracked. They then told me, if i wanted a different clutch i would have to source one but they advise against it as it invalidates the warranty and they have to go by what subaru says as subaru knows best. great! Well I am getting the same old clutch put in again (new one of course) and the flywheel is being sprayed or blasted or something like that (refused to replace it under warranty because they say wear and tear!- great also!)
I asked about the clutch being replaced under warranty but he started really confusing me and i didn't really understand any of it- even though he told me twice. Something about the longer it goes on, the less chance i have to claim and it is in my book? Well after 1 year i think i have a great chance but he didn't think so.
I am a little pissed off to say the least that this has happened after 21,000 miles and also a little pissed off that nothing is really being done about it, for all i know this is going to happen in another 21,000 miles. Are clutches not checked in services? if not - why not? It's like caravan owners putting a caravan in for a service and not getting the gas checked.
There is nothing i can do as i do not have the time to get it all sorted out properly.. I should have been down in Oxford on Sunday and have to stay up in Scotland until it is fixed.. very inconvenient. It is my fault obviously as i am the only person who drives the car, but i have still not had a real reason except wear and tear! I do not abuse the clutch or car except for using having it fully pressed in at traffic lights or fully pressed in while on a hill break. If the springs come lose then ok? but full wear and tear- I don't really understand...
Anyway i apologise but it is very annoying as i'm sure you would agree if it happened to you... I am going to have a chat with them tomorow and hopefully get the car back... , thankyou for all the advice and help that you have posted - i really appreciate it...
Ian

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 05 September 2000).]
Old 05 September 2000, 01:41 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

They cannot check clutches at service as it's along jod taking the box out.
You should be able to claim on your warranty after only 21,000 miles, be firm.
If you claim on warranty you will only get another Subaru clutch put in again, which will probably suffer the same fate, which is why it's sometimes worth considering upgrading to a higher spec like AP or Helix.
Anyway, stand your ground and insist it be done under warranty.

Stef.
Old 05 September 2000, 05:37 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, I got my sister to have a word with them and flutter her eyelashes , and the bloke at the dealer has said he will see what he can do (it's true what they say.. never send a man to do a womans job..lol ) , so things are looking up,..think i'm going to get a new flywheel out of it too, but will see what happens tomorow... I'm not soo pissed off with them anymore though
Ian
Old 06 September 2000, 11:20 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I recall an Autocar article from some time ago when they got an uprated "factory" clutch fitted underw warranty.

Dunno if this was usual Autocar drivel, but might be worth a try,

By the way, can you mail me off line with the dealer details for future reference.

Cheers

D.
Old 07 September 2000, 12:51 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi there,
The scoob is now fixed and new clutch has been put in. They blasted the flywheel as they didn't have a new one in stock... but i have the garages word that it will be fine and will not affect my gears at all - even though falklands motorsport disagrees and says i should have had a new one as it is quite risky. Not alot I can do as i am now going to be down south as of tonight , so hey ho.. no more time.
I have figured out why i burnt the clutch out so quickly. Took quite a while as i never abuse it at all except for one place, a local very busy roundabout where i take the revs up quite high and release the clutch to get very quick acceleration. I realise this now, and one bitten twice shy as they say , so i will not be doing that again.
Diablo.. will do , and for the record i now have a very small dent in my drivers door from them. I didn't realise it at all until my mother pointed it out to me.. but i don't think it will be a big deal for someone like dentmaster.
Thanks for all the help on this as it had me worried for quite a while... guess a car does really grow on you when you love it so much You wouldn't believe how excited i was to see Scooby again yesterday when i went to pick her up..

Ian

PS- The mechanic is actually quite good, but I have just been messed about completely over the last few days when something simple has been turned into complicated.