Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IM warranty for years 2 and 3 for Dutch import

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2000, 05:20 PM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if International Motors offer a year 2 and 3 warranty for a UK spec Dutch import? At a cost of course!

jon
Old 05 September 2000, 05:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

In short, no. We've tried to get them interested, but the short answer appears to be "no chance". With 250+ people on the importingimprezas list, it may be worth another approach...

Old 05 September 2000, 06:31 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Short sighted tw88s with sour grapes if you ask me.

As I said before they'll let you extend a warranty on a 2nd hand car supplied by them (any old tat, not even Subaru!), but won't let you buy one for a new car that you are getting serviced at fair expense with them! (I know I'm mixing dealers with IM here).

Think of all that money they're losing out on...

I'll just have to have faith in the Belgian distributer dealer being true to his word. They seem to be more helpful and willing for custom than IM.
Old 05 September 2000, 06:38 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think its a case of cutting their nose off to spite their face

More fool them - unless I have more than £6/7000 worth of repairs done in the 2nd and 3rd years of ownership, I cant loose!!!!

IM I do hope you're reading this!!!!!

Old 06 September 2000, 12:31 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

I rang IM yesterday to register it with them and they told me the dealer has to do this.

Andrew Burt dealership in the Midlands had given me the number and told me to ring it!

Contradictory information!

Has anyone registered their own car?

What comes free usually at the first service labour or the oil? I understand we have to pay the lot if the car is an import and the 1000 mile service is at a UK dealer. But still this is only 50 quid off the £7000 saved! If it is oil the NL dealer should give me the oil for the UK dealer to change.

jon
Old 06 September 2000, 12:51 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Jon

Write to Subaru UK HQ (get the address from any dealer) stating that you want to register your car, for any future warranty claims (Subaru UK act as the administrator via UK main dealers) and also so that you may be contacted in the event of a safety recall. Ask for written conformation that your request has been met. You need to include both chassis and engine no. and enclose a COPY of your certificate of conformity. I also asked for a letter detailing Subaru UK's stance on main dealers servicing EU cars (showing this letter to a non helpful dealer makes him think twice about his actions). Make sure you send this letter recorded delivery, and chase them up if you do not hear within a week.

You have to pay the full cost of the running in service, but was told by a helpfull lady at Subaru UK that the cost of the labour can be recovered by the EU dealer (although I never bothered to follow this up)

Hope that helps

PS what EU dealer did you use and where abouts in Essex are you?

[This message has been edited by ernie (edited 06 September 2000).]
Old 06 September 2000, 12:55 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

I've registered my car with IM but had a similar farce to the one you describe. My dealer (Marlborough - Isleworth) told me that I should phone IM direct and register the car. When I phoned IM direct they told me that the dealer should do it for me as IM offer dealer support and not customer support, and that the dealers are there to support customers!
Anyway, IM eventually registered the car for me and said they would be having a 'quiet word' with the dealer to ensure they do it in future.
At the first 1k service you usually do not have to pay for the labour but do have to pay for oil if its a UK sourced car. I had to pay for the oil and labour and it cost me about £120 (I think) as I have a Dutch sourced car.

Andy.
Old 06 September 2000, 12:59 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

IM will not offer warrenty for Euro imports for some very simple reasons.

A full warrenty on an import will mean there is absolutely no advantage in buying a new car officially from a UK dealer. IM will and the dealers will lose money on new car sales. Part of the extra money UK dealers charge is to cover the comprehensive warrenty. Refusing to off Euro imprort warrenties also holds up the values of UK sourced second hand cars.

Face facts, we can't have it both ways. Either we get ripped off paying over the odds for a UK car or we save £5k and take a small change in not having a 2nd and 3rd year warrenty. I am sure if it wasn't against EU law, IM and the dealers would refuse to service/repair any non officially sourced car.