Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car Prices - Simple Question

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2000, 05:05 PM
Dave Stephens
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know for a fact that the price of a MY00 is going to be reduced?
I'm ready to buy but have been waiting because of these changes to the law re:new car prices.
It's doing my head in - how long should I wait?
Old 02 September 2000, 05:33 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

I was in the same position last year. I don't know the formal response but I expect that all will be known by the time of the Motor Show in Oct. Also by this point you will know the EU prices and then be able to make an informed choice. I chose the latter.

I'm also in Worcs and you're welcome to email me if you want any info on importing from the EU.
Old 02 September 2000, 05:41 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Dave

Great minds think alike, I've just asked the same question at:
Old 03 September 2000, 11:43 AM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dave-Don't hold your breath!

AFAIK the law pertains to fleet buyer discounts.

Anyone know of comapanies running fleets of scoobies? ;-)

I can't see the numbers adding up to much of a discount if any (e.g compare the no. of Vauxhall Vectras vs no. of Subaru Impreza's etc).

Nice thought though.
Old 03 September 2000, 03:04 PM
Dave Stephens
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

I take your point about fleet buyers - however I also understand that these changes to the law have been made in an effort to bring UK prices more inline with the EU - if this is right then prices have got to fall?
Old 03 September 2000, 03:10 PM
Dave Stephens
Scooby Newbie

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PhilH:
<B>Hi Dave

I was in the same position last year. I don't know the formal response but I expect that all will be known by the time of the Motor Show in Oct. Also by this point you will know the EU prices and then be able to make an informed choice. I chose the latter.

I'm also in Worcs and you're welcome to email me if you want any info on importing from the EU.[/quote]

Is the vehicle really EXACTLY the same as one purchased in the UK.
I understand there is a difference in Warranty and the car does not have an alarm fitted - both relatively easy to overcome - but are there any other differnces?

Is it best to get someone else ie dealer to do all the leg work?

What is the real saving?

Would be grateful for any information you can supply - via email
Old 03 September 2000, 04:47 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

I'm also thinking about buying a scooby at the moment. I was speaking to my local Worcs dealer a few weeks ago and he hinted that prices might come down to sell the MY00 stock before the new model arrives. Another salesman claimed cars were still flying off the forecourts as demand was good, however he could still get me a car at very short notice as he had just had a cancellation. I'm sorry to say that I didn't believe his story of high demand having heard otherwise here.

As for importing from the EU, the savings are large, however the order book for MY00 cars closed months ago. If anyone knows another way to order MY00 cars from the EU I would like to hear it. I'm considering using an import agent who have pre ordered cars and apparently have stock in the UK at the moment for £17.5k - air con included.

Not aware of any other differences between EU & UK cars other than the ones you've mentioned. One plus is that you can get sonic blue paint on EU supplied cars.
Old 04 September 2000, 12:54 AM
Dave Stephens
Scooby Newbie

You mention import agents that have cars in stock in the UK.
Could you pass on the details?

Cheers
Old 04 September 2000, 09:07 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

The importer that has stock is Alliance Car Imports at
Old 04 September 2000, 10:12 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Merlin,
I got my car through the same company and was fairly chuffed.

You do need to chase them a long a bit though. Mind you I bought when they were starting out- they handle the paperwork if you want. The money goes direct to the dealer in Belgium.

The warranty is the only issue. IM are being very childish about it- and I mean here they won't sell me a 2 year extension (for the going rate!) but will cover 2nd hand cars they pick up at auction).

At the end of the day it has a 3 year warranty- but it Belgian. I have assurances that there would be minimal hassle in geting monies back should I need to claim- touch wood that won;t happen).

Anyhow back on topic. I paid less than £15k (waiting for VAT bill still so will be £18k) for a MY99 with leather and aircon. Includes fitting a Cat 1 alarm in UK, and getting it back.

I'd thoroughly recommend it- of course you'll be getting a MY2001 Corolla/Neon hybrid so you may want to reconsider until you check out the tests.... :-)
Old 05 September 2000, 12:58 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave - in reply:

DS: Is the vehicle really EXACTLY the same as one purchased in the UK.
I understand there is a difference in Warranty and the car does not have an alarm fitted - both relatively easy to overcome - but are there any other differnces?

PH: EXACTLY the same, but you'll need locking wheel nuts!

DS: Is it best to get someone else ie dealer to do all the leg work?

PH: I went direct to Jos Enthoven (speak to Andrew - great bloke) see
Old 05 September 2000, 12:55 PM
Gorilla
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I spoke to a Dutch dealer at the end of July and the negotiations have apparently started in Holland about the price increase for the New Model. He said that the price would go up by somewhere between 12,000- 15,000 Guilder roughly £2,500 to £3,000 as that the price in the Uk would not go up that much in an attempt to reduce the price diferences. This may or not be true but i do know that this guy has sold over 50 Imperza Turbo's to people from the UK.

[This message has been edited by Gorilla (edited 05 September 2000).]