ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Beware HKS Ind Kits on MY00 cars !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2000, 12:11 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just to lighten the mood a little, 2 weeks ago I had a catless s/s G.G.R exhaust and a HKS air ind kit fitted to my new this year STi, now covered 1300 miles. We took the car over to S.Ireland on holiday and within 3 days suffered an overboosting problem ( I think )basically I had accelerated to approx 5500 rpm's then 5 mins later tried accelerating but could go no further than 4000 rpm's and the car was stalling and surging at low revs, I beleive I was in " limp " mode, contactin a subaru dealer they came out and try clearing it with the computer which was showing a massive airflow fault, this couldnt be done so they fitted a new airflow sensor and this righted the problem......for 2 miles and the same thing happened again ! We spent the next 10 days suffering embarasment and frustration with our poorly scooby and even had to travel 230 miles back to the Dublin ferry at approx 60 mph then Holyhead back to Manchester at a similar speed.....nightmare.I arranged to go back to Autotecnica the next day and they swapped everything back over and replaced the air flow sensor, everything is fine again, HKS wont comment, their main man is in Japan, GGR and Falkland performance have come across this before, just be warned and ask the question, it totally ****ed our last 2 weeks up I can tell you.
Old 02 September 2000, 01:02 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Before anyone starts scaremongering, this topic has been discussed to death, albeit more to do with the Blitz cone filters.

Evidence suggests that fitment is more to blame rather than the filter itself. There are plenty of us running induction kits on my99/00 with no problems.
Old 03 September 2000, 12:04 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tim,
Quite correct, Dennis Ryan ( Subaru dealer ) in Innashannon, Nr Cork, their foreman David, ( nice guy ) came out and couldn't do enough for me...oh by the way, IGW Subaru of Bolton, Lancs recently contacted me saying that they are now offering new imports with all the back up and support of normal UK cars, this is the first UK dealer I have heard bucking the system....maybe the tide is on the turn !
Old 03 September 2000, 10:05 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mellow,

18k with HKS induction kit with no problem (although I don't need it now)

This has been discussed many times...

...ALL induction kits, when fitted badly can cause a problem with the MAF.

Another observation as an STi owner - if you improve the breathing as much as you have done (induction kit and straight through system) the standard ECU will have great difficulty in maintaining the correct fueling which can cause det - especially on 97RON fuel.

There are solutions

R
Old 03 September 2000, 10:16 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys I didn't mean to create any scaremongery regarding this subject, merely an experience we were subjected to over our holiday period in Ireland, I unfortunately wasn't a part of the previously " much talked " about threads re; this subject and obviously would have been aware, as I am now.
I didn't realise that induction kits could be fitted " poorly " thus possibly causing this potential problem. I think that my version 6 management system is slightly different from any previous versions ( according to Alan at G.G.R ) therefore maybe creating a slightly greater potential problem, I dont know!! Anyway, the car is back to it's original factory spec giving me an adequate 280bhp and have since put the money to upgrading the sound system.
Old 03 September 2000, 10:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Mellow,

interesting debate there...

...as far as has been found out - ECU from STi V is the same as the VI!

And the ECU has no bearing on whether the MAF is likely to fail or not. However the shift to Phase II engines (MY99) also saw a shift from a hot wire MAF to a hot film MAF which is much more sensitive to vibration (hence the poorly fitted issue!).

Cheers,

R
Old 03 September 2000, 10:50 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
I suggest some of you guys with induction kits (Blitz in particular) remove them, and inspect the pipework.

Nearly every one I know, has now done this, and they ain't going back on !!!!!!.

Mark.
Old 03 September 2000, 11:48 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hang on a sec...did I read your post right!

'...my new this year STi...contactin a subaru dealer they came out and try clearing it with the computer which was showing a massive airflow fault, this couldnt be done so they fitted a new airflow sensor and this righted the problem...'

Subaru dealer, Sti, working on, surely not I though S.Ireland was part of IM's domain
Old 03 September 2000, 01:03 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I've had my kit out (oo-err) and my pipes are squeeky clean
Old 03 September 2000, 01:35 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

R19KET

Quite right I'm currently tempted to get rid of the Blitz due to the 'scare' stories - HKS seems much better

I reckon the MAF does not work on mine - sti - as it wont on most of the later sti's - but then I am not going to the standard ecu yet so does not matter as I dont use the MAF - nor does Rannoch

Re the VF22 it was totally shagged - reckon there was a very bad misfire - the VF28 is fantastic in comparison - now that I have it back on - so much more drivability I could'nt believe it - no more moving down to a lower gear to overtake at lower speeds!
Then again for out and out power the VF22 was great
Old 03 September 2000, 02:51 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Lee,

You're lucky. Filtration on the Blitz, is as like using a sock for a condom. These are not "scare" stories, they happen to be based on cr*p people are finding "after" the filter.

Steve,

I would agree about the VF22, BUT it really depends on what you're aiming for. I'm now used to "driving around" the VF22, and on the track, it's fantastic.

Sorry your VF22 is trashed, and I didn't mean to have a go (re your turbo post) but asking for advise, without giving all the relevent details, is misleading, and won't give you any worthwhile feedback.

Mark.

Old 04 September 2000, 12:53 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

R19

I wondered worry I never really care - I give out so much abuse myself!

Re the VF22 - Bob will be looking at it tomorrow!
Old 04 September 2000, 09:32 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

A sock for a condom is fine if you have enough girth