Sponsored by:

Driving through europe, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2000, 12:47 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,
Had same question when I was going to Germany.

What I ended up with was an AA European kit, which I got from, gasp! Halfords, for about 30 -40 quid, I think. It contained a warning triangle, spare bulb kit, headlamp converters, first aid kit, gb sticker (yuk!), and a free european glovebox atlas.

As for the GB Sticker, well, I was going on Le Shuttle and WH Smiths in the terminal had a nice little magnetic one which was about 3 quid. Said on the container that it had be tested up to 130 mph, and I can confirm that it did not come off at 140, so it must be pretty good. Plus I really, really did not want the sticky type one on my Wagon, old as it maybe, and I doubt you'd want a nasty sticker on your pride and joy.

You might want to check out the RAC site (http://www.rac.co.uk/) and their european motoring section as this will tell you exactly what you need for each country, plus they'll also sell you all the bits!

hope this helps, and have a safe journey, oh, and enjoy the nice roads in europe!

Old 17 August 2000, 09:32 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

I was wondering if I needed to wear those ugly 'GB' stickers, or could get away with the plates with a euro flag on it? Want new plates anyway as want to get dealers name off the car .
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 17 August 2000, 10:07 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Chuck, you will need the following if travelling in Europe - the feds in France get quite angry if you do not comply (I believe some of the following are compulsory):-
1. GB sticker (white oval) on rear/near side of boot lid of the correct size - none of the naff stuff.
2. Head lamp deflecters (deflectors?).
3. Warning triangle (two in Spain).
4. First aid kit.
5. Spare bulb set.
6. Spare glasses ( if you need glasse to drive a spare/emergency pair are required).

Hope this is helpful.
Richard.
Old 17 August 2000, 10:19 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Chuck,
Don't forget your leopard skin and leather thong and body oil.
Got to be looking good for those frenchy jazz mag shots!
Old 17 August 2000, 10:35 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich, in hand mate!
Damn, hoped to avoid 'ugly white sticker'. Ah well, c'est mange tout, as they say in Peckham .
I know I need a fire extinguisher too, theoretically.
Cheers folks
Old 17 August 2000, 10:51 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Smile

A car?
Old 17 August 2000, 10:54 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Chuckster,

I drove into France a couple of Years ago with my then brand spanking MY98 Sport.I had the Euro plates fitted, so didn't need a GB sticker.No problems with Monsieur Gendarme!

The plates definitely look the part, and with the chance of loosing your quality?Subaru paint when you peel the sticker off, much less hassle!

Steve
Old 17 August 2000, 10:56 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Question

Chuck - not sure whether a green card (insurance document) is required any more, I think most insurance policies cover European driving.

PS Have you got AA/RAC Euro cover?
PPS Drive on the right hand side.
PPPS Toll motorways in France.
PPPPS French love Scoobs (I found out when I took mine to Le Mans and the Frenchies totally ignored a brand new 360 Modena and wanted to know about my scoob!).
PPPPPS Take your driving licence and watch out for Gendarmes - on the spot speeding fines as per Jenson Button (respect).
Old 17 August 2000, 11:00 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Chuck, if you stick the GB sticker on your boot, take off by using a hair dryer (blowing hot) it will reomvoe all the glue and not damage paint work.

Or:- stick on the rear window inside or out?

Any help???????????????????
Old 17 August 2000, 11:09 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

won't a magnetic GB 'sticker' be better (no glue!) - chap here at BMW got one to go to europe.
Old 17 August 2000, 01:20 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks folks, I found a good site in the end:
Old 17 August 2000, 01:26 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Husband found out that you do need a green card from insurance company - or at least we did! Extra insurance came to about £9.

Old 17 August 2000, 01:32 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you have GB on your plate, you do not need a sticker.

If your insurance policy states EU cover, you do not need a Green card. Take your policy documents instead.

Also take V5 with you in case customs get ****ty on the way back.

Other things to take are... Warning Triangle, Spare Bulbs, Headlamp deflectors and First aid kit... all available in Halfords.

See you there...
Old 17 August 2000, 01:33 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

I'm not convinced that it's not good enough if you haven't got a sticker on your motor, and rely on the Euro plates.After all, what's the point of the plate which shows the Country which the car is from, if you need to put a sticker on as well??

Anyway, I had local plod around my car whilst in France after some dippy woman opened her car door and dented mine.(only one week old.could've cried!)which I reported as she seemed to have had instant amnesia, and denied all knowledge.
They didn't comment on the plates (or lack of sticker)although they gave the car the once over.

If I were you, i'd get the plates on and not worry too much about it.I didn't.
Steve
Old 17 August 2000, 01:56 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Flippin Admiral! Yeah, just rang em and found I would only have 3rd party cover in Europe, so £9 for a green card thingy.
Ah well, teach me to read policy before I sign eh?
Cheers folks,
Charles
Old 17 August 2000, 03:13 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the euro style plate is fine. I went through Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark this summer most of the cars on the road had that style of plate and almost none had stickers. Just take one along in the car and say sorry and offer to stick it on if you need to. I always put it on the rear window anyway rather than risk the paintwork.

Oh and dont you also need one of those male handbags that europeans seem to carry
Old 17 August 2000, 03:20 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Having GB on your plates is not enough.
You must have a full size GB sticker to travel in Europe. That is the law.

Now, whether or not the law is enforced is another matter. Regarding small GB stickers that you can get from Halfords, if you look on the back of the them there is a disclaimer saying that this is not recognised as an international GB sticker.

Well, whatever you think you can get away with. They used to give them away with P&O when you bought your ferry ticket. You probably have to pay a fiver for one now.

q
Old 17 August 2000, 03:29 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Right loony lad, that's what I had been reading about recently, uptight gendarme doing spot fines on guy's with the Euro plates but no sticker.
9 times outta 10 yuo'll get away with it, but a sticker is cheap insurance. I may, at times, accidently, travel at 'super legal' speeds. In the event of being pulled I just don't want to play double or quits with the fine.
Cheers
C
Old 17 August 2000, 03:32 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I drove through France & Spain this summer, 5000 miles in 2 weeks.

You need your Drivers Licence, Insurance [I paid extra for a green card], Log book or letter of entitlement to drive the vehicle.
Warning triange, some sort of GB plate, Fire ex. First Aid kit, Spare bulbs, H/Light Defelector, Money lots of the the tolls especialy going towards Paris, a decent route plan is a good idea, I used the AA route planner and it was spot on, a good look out for PC plod.

If you have got Kids with you something to keep them happy, TV & Video, game boys etc.

Good luck
Old 17 August 2000, 04:15 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

I don't know much about what you do need but I know what you don't need.

You don't need Blubs navigating for you, I am sure that Geezer will testify to this.
Old 17 August 2000, 05:19 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Above all, HIDE THE RADAR DETECTORS!!!!!!!
Old 17 August 2000, 05:20 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Above all, HIDE THE RADAR DETECTORS!!!!
The Frenchie Police get VERY angry if you have one, even if it is not mounted and even do not allow any mounting brackets or leads!

The fines can be HUGE!

You have been WARNED!!!!
Old 17 August 2000, 06:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Good point about the detectors. The wagon does have one, but I've never actually used it and so totally forgot about it when blatting through europe, was only when I got home and read a few posts about a few peeps who'd be nobbled by the french plod, who are seriously **** about detectors, eg; rip the car to bits if they *think* you've got one, then charge you for the pleasure of putting the car back together.

Did make me wonder. Ah well, must take the little device off anyway as I don't use it, and have no clue if it works anyway.

enjoy the trip.
Old 18 August 2000, 03:00 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

GB stickers are not compulsory in all countries, it depends on where you are travelling!

A believe that anyone fined in France for not having one is the victim of a French Police scam, so if it happens to you, then keep all documentation and upon your return get in touch with the DOE
Old 18 August 2000, 10:10 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Chuck,

I drive in France on a fairly regular basis as my company has an office in Paris.
Some tips for Euro travel
Don't bother with those GB stickers - Have never used them in 3 yrs of Tunnel travel that has included being caught for speeding at 168 kph.(they are only interested in your passport/license) have driven like this in France, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, germany, etc
Bulbs - Na - how many times times have your bulbs blown ? waste of money
Triangle - Na - as above
Be careful on the approaches to the tolls - I've often seen speed traps a mile or two before tolls disguised as broken down cars etc (hatches with there tails up)clocking your speed and then nicking you as you exit the toll. Keeep to below 100 mph on the approach. Be careful if you have Radar detector, i've heard of someone getting nicked for using this in France, (heavy fine)

Steve.
Old 19 August 2000, 01:33 AM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Talking

I suggest all of the above, but most importantly A HEAVY RIGHT FOOT!

I haven't been over for a while, but France, Belgium and Germany seem to tolerate much higher speeds. I've never been stopped, but at least you won't lose your licence, assuming you can accept a hefty fine.
Old 19 August 2000, 07:10 AM
DAVE MARSH
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats all this business I've heard about the Frog plod doing speeders by using two speed cams on their motorways and averaging the speed between them?
Old 19 August 2000, 08:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

it'll be like being at home - you will get to drive on the other side of the road!

R
Old 19 August 2000, 03:15 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Personally as far as the GB sticker goes - I'd have one 'ready' in the glove box and plead ignorance if stopped. Frog plod is vicious though, he hates the smell of soap and cleanliness in general.

Surely just an England flag sticker should be adequate goddamnit !!! Bloody foreigners.

Neil.
Old 20 August 2000, 06:01 PM
hitesh
Scooby Newbie

I drove through France and into Belgium a couple of months ago. Got the insurance (£14 from Privelege!) but the pack didn't arrive in time, so no GB sticker, no EC plates, no triangle, etc. Fortunately, I wasn't stopped, so could say I just got lucky.
Going over again next week, so will be better prepared, thanks to you all for your advice/responses.
Do have a query about Super Unleaded on the continent though - read somewhere that it was only 95 RON, not 97 RON as in the UK ??

Quick Reply: Driving through europe, what do I need?