Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The ups and downs of owning a scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2005, 07:18 PM
tiesto
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ups and downs of owning a scooby?

I really need some serious advice from scooby owners out there.

Its time for me to get rid of my trusty old ford fiesta rs1800 and get a good reliable second hand motor with a good sporting pedigree.

I really want to get a good second hand scooby turbo and have been searching for a few months for the right one. I've got about £8000 to spend.

I think i might have found a nice example but have yet to go look at it. Its a Subaru impreza turbo 2000 uk spec 1999, Fssh, prodrive wheels, ss exhaust, 49000 miles £8600.

When i go look at it what do i need to look out for and what questions should i be asking?

When running a subaru impreza turbo i've heard you have to warm it up b4 setting off and also cool it down before switching it off? Why do you have to do this and do you have to do it before and after every journey? if it hasn't been done what damage could have been caused?

I know these cars aren't cheap to run but what mpg can i expect to get? And how much is an average service?

The car has an alarm, immobiliser and tracker fitted. Is that gonna be enough security?

I have a few doubts about getting a scooby but deep down i really want one.

Please help

Thank you
Old 25 January 2005, 07:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

you should warm any car up as the fluids are all cold and take time to warm up and circulate. Cooling down allows the oil to get round the turbo. Not allowing it cool down could mean a new turbocharger down the line.
Old 25 January 2005, 07:49 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

is that private or forecourt price?

have you checked out the insurance is within your budget?

other than that, go for it.

i don't think you can do alot more security wise.

servicing is 7.5k or every six months, little one then biggie, approx £500 a year. depending on your right foot about 20-25 mpg, big drop if you're having fun

i only do about 8k a year and to be honest, it doesn't cost me alot more than any other car i've owned
Old 25 January 2005, 08:02 PM
tiesto
Scooby Newbie

I'm thirty and have 10 years no claims. Have had quotes between 6 and 7 hundred.
Old 25 January 2005, 08:32 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Get a scooby, you won't regret it!

I'm 3 months in to Scooby ownership and loving it.

You should always warm up / cool down the car..prolongs turbo etc.

I get around 20 to 25mpg at the moment with a mixture of driving style and a mix of motorway/town routes.

Servicing I can't say as I'm still 3months away from the first one.

I find myself worrying about the engine quite a bit...but I think most of it is paranoia! I bought if (97 UK Turbo) from a dealer and it seems in very good nick with only 1 owner before.

Still have a massive grin every time I'm in it though. Buy one and find a nice bit of twisty quiet road and have fun
Old 25 January 2005, 09:44 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Wink

On my second now in three years and they are Brill,dont have to treat them any different to a normal family saloon. Start em up and drive normally just try not to thrash it straight away but would you do that with any car, and has for cooling down you would have have been driving like a loon for a long period and usually the odd mile or two before you park up at normal driving will be sufficent to cool.Just like any other Turbo car..just letting the oil cool the turbo bearings down before you turn the engine off so it dont damage the bearings due to the oil being boiled away .....powerman
Old 25 January 2005, 10:19 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

It took me a while to find mine mate but never really looked back. In four years the only thing that I have had to replace is the radiator at a cost of £130.00.

The very fact that I have kept this car for so long speaks volumes for its all round ability. Yes the fuel economy isn't the best and its certainly been an expensive hobby modifying it (maybe should have started with an sti rather than a standard Uk turbo) but I've nevertheless enjoyed ownership and the scene as a whole.

I originally took my car to the local dealers for services-now Jap Innovations do all my work and the 83k service that I had back in October 2004 cost me £85.00.

Insurance wise I too opted for tracker, immob and Cat1 alarm and I got competitive quotes from the off. Still only pay £800.00 with Tescos with mods declared (now 28 8yrs ncb etc).

Every year I think I'll sell it but took an Evo 7 FQ330 for a drive the other day and could not justify double the insurance premium or the additional £10k I'd have to find to purchase. Needless to say a 2003/ 2004 sti will be my next car and no doubt another small fortune will be spent in buying bits for it.

Have fun mate.
Old 25 January 2005, 10:21 PM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP

Do it, ive wanted one for years.

Found myself a 99 turbo wagon (long story, read other post)

Fab cars, seriously fun, if you love driving - smile on

Get a disklock or similar.
Old 25 January 2005, 11:19 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

If you think about it too hard common sense tells you not to. Many of my work collegues think I'm mad for putting up with the running costs, when they all run diesels. They don't understand. Never will.
Once you do it, and if you are even considering it, you should, you will never ever look back. Buy a good one and the hype doesn't even come close, they really are that good. Mine constantly amazes me.
Fit good tyres and never ever skimp on servicing, and it will be the best thing you've ever bought.
You have already made up your mind haven't you?...
Go on, Daz
Old 26 January 2005, 09:24 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Just buy it.

I started having second thoughts just as I was going to pick it up - never looked back since, the only car I'll swap this one for is another Impreza...
Old 26 January 2005, 09:41 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to worry about really. You can jump in and drive it from cold, just don't give it death until properly warmed up (which can be said of any car). As for cooling down, you only need to let it idle for a few mins if you have been "driving hard" all the way to your front door. I generally just drive sensibly the last couple of miles to give it time to cool down before stopping.

Servicing isn't too bad at 7500 miles but I do mine every six months (approx 5k). Fuel consumption is an issue - I get around 130 miles to £25 Optimax which is about 20mpg. This is town driving though.

As for insurance, give Privilage a try. I am 27 with 5 years NC and pay £520 fully comp.
Old 26 January 2005, 10:05 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

for for it they are really as good as they say i love my97 turbo and the more i mod it the more i like it !, brilliant cars , dont listen to anyone just do ya research on insurance etc and hpi the car and ger a professional to check the greasey bits.

And just enjoy the subaru experience!

Dan
Old 26 January 2005, 11:48 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a number of VW Mk2 GTi's Audi and BMW. Six months ago bought a 99 UK Spec Wagon with all the toys, a/c, Leather, sunroof blah blah.

REVELATION, where have Scoobs been all my life. Dealers are top, still warranteed, just had first service, £290 with new f pads and anti roll bushes.

£501 FC with Churchill Home Rescue Assistance for a year, Tracker and Cat1.

Fuel, ouch. But who cares. Enjoy be thrilled and enjoy ScoobyNet.

I believe the Classics are like the Mk1/Mk2 Golf GTi v Mk3/4/5 debate. They set the bench mark and now they are going off slightly. But, who cares they are the canine phallic swingers!!!!!!
Old 26 January 2005, 03:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by tiesto

I really want to get a good second hand scooby turbo and have been searching for a few months for the right one. I've got about £8000 to spend.
That's do-able, though you'll need to budget at least £600 for insurance (fortunately, you're the right age and have a good NCB). Also budget a few hundred of hundred quid to get it properly checked over and to have any niggling consumable bits sorted out (just in case).

When i go look at it what do i need to look out for and what questions should i be asking?
Check all documentation, does it add up, support the owners story? What fuel do they use, what oil is it run on? Are the stated mods the only ones that have been fitted to the car, if not, what others has it had fitted previously? Can you contact any of the previous owners? If you are satisfied you MUST then get a professional inspection done and a HPI check. Spending money here coud save you thousands and -at the very least- buys peace of mind!

When running a subaru impreza turbo i've heard you have to warm it up b4 setting off and also cool it down before switching it off? Why do you have to do this and do you have to do it before and after every journey? if it hasn't been done what damage could have been caused?
Yes and Yes. These are very important things to do on any turbo car. If you don't warm it up, you'll be crucifying the engine as the lubricants won't have got up to operating temperature. Most engine wear occurs in the first 10mins of driving. If you don't cool it down, you're not giving the oil a chance to dissapate the tremendous heat that builds up aound the turbo. Some people will say they don't bother, but why would anyone want to rag a car right from starting it up and what's a couple of minutes of your time worth against a 4K engine re-build??

I know these cars aren't cheap to run but what mpg can i expect to get? And how much is an average service? ?
Between 12-24, depending on how much you put your foot down! Minor services circa £80 major around £400. Btw Replacing a clutch is a 4 hour job!

The car has an alarm, immobiliser and tracker fitted. Is that gonna be enough security
Yes, if you're worried about car jackings, you could also get a Blackjax.

I have a few doubts about getting a scooby but deep down i really want one.
If you can afford to run it comfortably given the above then yes, if not, then no- because proper running and maintenence of these cars is critical unless you want very expensive problems down the line!

They're high maintenence and require you to show them respect and have a bit of mechanical sympathy, but that's not much to ask is it? Do that and you'll be grinning like a loon for ages; they're great cars!

Best,

Please help

Thank you[/QUOTE]
Old 26 January 2005, 03:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

They are normal everyday cars. You dont need to wait for it to warm up etc etc. As with any car, dont rag it when the its still cold and drive gently for last 2/3minutes of your journey (if you have been driving it hard).

As for petrol...I average 200miles of mixed driving on £45.

Very reliable.

Be aware of the risks of theft and car-jacking (depending on your area).

The metalwork on the car is very flimsy and will dent very easily in car parks etc

I would look for a MY99 or newer as they have better brakes etc than earlier models.

As with any car make sure you check as many things as you can or better still take somebody along with you who knows what they are doing.

Bob
Old 26 January 2005, 04:07 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Just echo the above comments really

Full Tank £42 get around 235 Miles - Mixed Driving (MY00ppp)

As stated get Hpi check friend viewed a car and lucky for him did the check and realised it had been in two accidents, needless to say he walked away.

Disklok is a must too - peice of mind and cheap.

You would be surprised but servicing a subaru isnt that bad depending on where it goes, I take mine to scoobyclinic - great service + £20 per hour labour. Obviously depends on whether it has warrenty existing or extended.

Take it out for a spin also if you can, see what it drives like, may be a good idea to check tyres if they need replacing you could come in with a lower price.

Enjoy
Ashley
Old 26 January 2005, 04:15 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I have an older STi2 model. Gas consumption is high but I get massive thrills per gallon

I guess I pay around £700 a year on servicing and the odd new bit that has worn out. Not much in comparison to the fun you're going to have
Old 26 January 2005, 06:54 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

All the above, but keep your doors locked if your on your own !!!!
Old 26 January 2005, 07:37 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Smile

OH and dont forget to wave
Old 26 January 2005, 10:59 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by punkie
All the above, but keep your doors locked if your on your own !!!!
Why?
Old 26 January 2005, 11:05 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Oh, I see
Old 26 January 2005, 11:13 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

depending on your finances mate i'd think carefully before buying one, i've had mine for the last 3 years and its been a cracking car but the most expensive to own and run that i've ever had, fuel economy is basically terrible, servicing can work out expensive depending on which service is due and the fact they've got to be serviced every 6 months doesn't help but other than that their fantastic cars so if you can afford one and don't mind the running costs buy one mate.
Old 27 January 2005, 06:19 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Why?
In case the boogy man comes
Old 27 January 2005, 07:02 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with everything above!

And if its not what you want mines for sale!!!!!