Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m25 speed cameras - what speed?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2000, 12:43 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're a frequent traveller on the M25, it's worth looking in the side mirrors each time you pass a gantry to spot the cameras. Eventually you'll get to know which ones actually have cameras. If you're cleverer than me, you could watch out for the cameras in the opposite direction.

Also, I often travel far enough behind someone speeding, matching their speed, so that if a camera flashes you can slow down in time. It's worked for me several times. Keep an eye on what's behind though...

When on my own, I do 85 and haven't been flashed, when the restictions aren't on. When they are, I do the speed limit shown on the signs - I don't trust the blighters!

Anyway, when do you travel on the M25 such that you can even get to the speed limit, let alone exceed it???? ;-)

Jerome.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 15 August 2000).]
Old 15 August 2000, 10:52 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Question

I am driving on the M25 most weekends. I see cars tearing along. I try to keep around 75 mph - but I wonder what speed are the cameras (by the variable speed limit boards) triggered. Any of you any ideas/experiences?
Old 15 August 2000, 10:55 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Kinda answered your own question there - they're variable

A friend of mine told me that you were safe up to about 85, provided the temporary limit thing wasn't in operation. My advice would be to follow a rep-mobile (Vectra or Mondeo). I guarantee that they won't get caught by the camera!
Old 15 August 2000, 11:28 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Smile

I take it you're on about the ones between the M4 all the way to the A3(ish)?

I'm lead to believe the cameras only activate when the restriction speeds are on. I usually sit at 85 while the restrictions are off, though I still get people passing me.

As for the trigger speed, when the the restrictions are on, I'm not sure. I have gone through at over 5mph over the restriction, but I guess much more would be inadviseable.

There's also the other point that not all the gantrys have cameras, though unless you know what you're looking for, you can't really tell until you go under them.

There is a speed camera site with the gantrys listed, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Don't know how accurate it will be though.

PFF
Old 15 August 2000, 11:38 AM
Joe D
Scooby Newbie

As PFF suspected, the cameras are only active when the variable speed limits are in operation. I know this because I have never had a ticket from them and have occasionally gone over a ton when they are not in operation.
Old 15 August 2000, 02:05 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Question

I always thought it was part of legislation that the use of speed cameras is not permitted on Motorways UNLESS the speed limit has been reduced. I hope so, coz I've never worried about them unless a reduced speed is shown.
Old 15 August 2000, 05:25 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Question

What about the ones close together around Jct25-26ish?? Are they still there?

I believe, but may not be up to date, that the M4-A3 ones are set for 10% over, (so 55 in a 50 and 44 in a 40 etc.)
Anyway the speed restrictions are actually there to aid traffic flow and avoid the classic M25 problem of 'bunching', which is when a lot of accidents occur. So if you go faster you are likely to have to slow down somewhere ahead.

Does anyone know if they are Serco operated ones?

Flame proof overalls on now

Chris
Old 15 August 2000, 09:18 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

From the M3 round to the A3 approx every other gantry triggers a radar detector (so I'm told)

This happens even when variable restrictions are not in operation.

Don't know about thresholds though.

DJ