ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half on, half off the pavement?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2000, 12:03 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Moray,
The kerb is not too high and quite rounded, I also mount the kerb as slow as poss. Having said that, I wince at other residents cars as they use the kerb as the brake in some instances!
Its a private estate so no highway code to adhere to! (I think)

cheers

Justin
Old 08 August 2000, 10:46 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Question

Parking round my way is a nightmare.
The residents (myself included) sometimes have to park half on and half off the pavement, if you get my drift.
My question is would it have any effect on the tyres/suspension if my beloved scoob is regularly parked this way for, say 48 hours stationary every time?
My main concern is uneven distribution of load in the sidewalls of each tyre. I know its dodgy to put half a wheel on the kerb, but half a car?

Your thoughts please!

Cheers

Justin
Old 08 August 2000, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've wondered about this myself, as I've had to do this a few times due to the imense number of dumped cars in the carpark (grrrr, don't get me started!)
Old 08 August 2000, 11:20 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sorry to be the one that points this out, but driving or parking on a pavement is illegal, according to the highway code.

As to the mechanical issues, how high a kerb are we talking about? I'd imagine you won't have too much problem unless it's a serious angle, in which case physically getting the car on and off it may well cause more problems than leaving it there...
Old 08 August 2000, 11:44 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Rotate the car to get even wear either side
Old 08 August 2000, 11:44 AM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

I think I read somewhere on this board that parking like this can upset the geometry. I don't see how though, as surely the suspension etc. gets more punishment on a bumpy road?
Old 08 August 2000, 11:45 AM
andyo
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it is a council requirementin our area to park in designated white boxes which are marked half on the kerb half in the road and woe betide if you park anywhere else!!!
One wheel outside the box and you get a £20 parking ticket from Sureway Parking wardens . They even come round at 4 and 5 in the morning on their mopeds to catch people.

What can you do?

Andy
Old 08 August 2000, 11:47 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shoot them!

Old 08 August 2000, 07:19 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

yes it does harm set up
ive had tracking done hunners o times and it is always same side that is out,as when i pull into works car park,i always hit (small kerb) with left side first,we really need the entrence kerb fixed,but as it is also used by trucks it wont be long before it knackered again!

[This message has been edited by D Noble (edited 08 August 2000).]
Old 08 August 2000, 09:25 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 08 August 2000).]
Old 08 August 2000, 11:07 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

About 10 years ago I had a Mark 2 RS2000 which I used to park with two wheels on the kerb cos of parking problems.Came home from work one night NO CAR!Thought it had been stolen again!Sraight on the phone to the police,oh yes sir your car has been towed away to the police compound in Vauxhall.Cue £85 tow away charge and £25 parking ticket.
Afraid I don't know the answer to your parking problems but if the kerb is low enough and you take it slowly it shouldn't cause any damage.

Regards

Steve
Old 09 August 2000, 11:39 AM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

I would also like to know about this.
where I live we also have the designated boxes that enable drivers to partly park on the pavement.

I generally alternate which side is up on the pavement - not intentionally though!

My question is, is there any difference between going up on the pavement fowards or backwards?

I wanted to get the Prodrive geometry setting done, but decided to wait until I had a house with a driveway

One good point is that it reduces the likeliehood of scraping the wheels on the side of the kerb when my parallel parking is just a bit too good

At the end of the day for me it is a case of up n hte kerb or losing a wing mirror as the road is so narrow!

Peter