Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT: How in hell do i get a damaged front hub from a Dyno run?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2004, 07:57 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RANT: How in hell do i get a damaged front hub from a Dyno run?

Rant, rave,
Had my car dyno'd on Friday (dont ask where i aint starting a flame war), and since then i got steering wheel wobble on braking, under certain condtions, speed, etc. Had car in garage today for springs change, so whilst there they checked brakes, n/s front disk and hub deflects f00k all using a DTI gauge, o/s front disk deflects 12 'thou ffs! that is 0.3 of a mm ffs. The actual o/s front hub deflects itself 4 'thou (0.1 mm) but by the time it gets to the end of my StopTech disk the deflection is bloody noticable on the steering wheel.
I cant believe it. How in hell is this possible?
They then checked the n/s with the DTI but used the o/s disk, and there was f00k all deflection again, so the o/s disc aint warped that is for sure.
I saw the DTI in use, and use them at work myself, so i know what the readings mean. Well gutted. Another bloody 400 quid at least i bet to put right, and no way of proving it whatsoever anyway.
I was on hols last week, drove hundreds of miles fine, then i come out if there and over the weekend this happens. I aint even hit owt, gone down a hole or nothing. DAmn car is costing me a fortune, and i still love it! I must be mad.
Just thought i would give you all a laugh.
Could only happen to me ffs!
Old 06 September 2004, 09:18 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Cant see how this would happen on a dyno, more than likely it was on its way out and it only raised its head after the run was taken
Old 07 September 2004, 03:49 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Could it be a wheel bearing on it's way out? The hub is normally a fair old piece of metal that takes some damaging.
What about the possiblity you've lost a wheel weight or the wheel was balanced on the car before (is it possible on a 4x4?) and not put back on the same way, if so you would only just notice this problem.