Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 MPH limit on motorways

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2000, 08:25 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please tell me im stupid and did not hear this correctly on radio one this morning.

Cheers
Simon (Hope to get Sh@t rip out of)
Old 11 July 2000, 08:37 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Wink

If this is true I may as well stick to my mountain bike .

What is this country coming to ?

David
Old 11 July 2000, 08:47 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well done the AA I say. I heard their spokesman today on the radio. Three cheers for him, but I feel that 50 mph is far too excessive. As a member of the AA I know that he is only acting in my best interests.As a member I feel happy that I have been consulted about the whole issue and can't wait for my own personal AA representative to arrange a suitable introduction to the gentleman who's been allocated to walk in front of my car with a red flag at a speed not exceeding 5 mph.
God bless the AA I say!
Old 11 July 2000, 09:06 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Cheers CLS im not happy that i was not hearing things im now not renewing my AA or going RAC (coz they crossthreaded the CH on my renault and then told me i know jack )sorry got carried away. Are they just trying to p1ss the average vehicle owner off or do they have a master plan that will be sprung on us sooner or later.

Cheers
Simon
Ps Just to clarify im P1SSED OFF
Old 11 July 2000, 10:56 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

... but it has been scientifically proved that the variable speed limits on the M25 have worked perfectly, thus by forcing everyone to drive at 50mph at motorway junctions will reduce emissions and vastly improve traffic flow.

It must be true - there was a government report about it?

mb
Old 11 July 2000, 11:37 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyone want a job walking in front waving a red Flag to warn people i'm heading towards them !!

Doh!!

m.
Old 12 July 2000, 09:51 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is it April 1st again??? I hope so!

I'm gonna give up driving and live in cave, might as well, sod all pleasure driving anywhere anymore with these stupid ideas appearing.

Once again the old 'speed is bad' comes out, geeze, when will they get the message that it is undue and excessive speed that causes accidents.

I've seen the variable speed limits on the M25 CAUSE tailbacks, because they flash on and everyone jumps on the brakes, which cuases the person behind to do the same, which causes the person behind them to do the same, and on, and on and on, the result? you get a jam further down the road, or worse, the slamming of brakes causes a pile up.

grrrrrrr
Old 12 July 2000, 10:16 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ha Ha Ha - Not funny at all!! In have to make a 450 mile journey twice every two weeks everytime i want to go home.. normally takes 6 and a half hours... and another 3 for good measure is just not causing me hilarity at all.
Ian

People will not stick to them anyway- and whatever happened to the speed limit on motorways beging increased to 80mph????
Old 14 July 2000, 11:23 AM
RBT2
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Hos,
I tried not to respond, but failed

[start rant]

When the Chief Constable of Hampshire said publicly tha the M27 should be increased to 80mph he was very loudly shouted into submission by all at the anti-car lobby.

It also seems that our government (all of them, on both sides of the house) are all fully paid up members of the anti-car lobby, just as long as they have separate personal transport for themselves and their poor deprived wives too (Two Jags).

All I ask is what next?

We've already got 614% fuel tax, £150+ road tax (not spent on roads), income-generating speed cameras (not in accident blackspots at all), rediculously reduced speed limits springing up everywhere, motorway tolls coming in soon, public transport in a p*ss-poor state (and run by people only interested in the bottom dollar) and ruddy 'bus lanes' on some of our already most-congested roads.

I'll bet they'll be doing special lanes for politicians only soon...

We're all responsible though.
We voted the cretins into office.

[rant over]

Ross.
Old 14 July 2000, 11:58 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Well I've emailed the AA to ask what their chap was on about and I have yet to receive a reply after 2 days, maybe the guy is in for some serius grilling back at home office, or maybe they are just hoping it wilol all go away.
Old 16 July 2000, 12:37 AM
Denz
Scooby Regular

If this will happen they will need to use speed cameras to enforce it!!

So we should stick black bags over the top of them in the early hours as a protest!!!!

we need to fight this, my grandparents died to give us a FREE country.
Old 16 July 2000, 03:47 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Angry

RBT2: You missed 'Shading off one lane of a dual carriage or other wide road way to further wind motorists up who would otherwise be able to overtake safely'

and who can forget 'Traffic Calming' - and 'Speed Ramps' Guaranteed to wind me up every time and I actually observe speed limits in built up areas!

Chris
Old 16 July 2000, 06:49 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

As far as I'm concerned the answer is INCREASE the speed limit on motorways to around 90/100mph, introduce unbdertaking and all our problems would be sorted - no more idiotic people clogging up the middle lane and therefore, all of the lanes. At least conjestion would be cleared, and we could legally enjoy ourselves