Importing JDM STI v8

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 11:44 AM
STI8U
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing JDM STI v8

Hi

I'm coming to the UK soon from New Zealand and want to bring in my JDM STI version 8 (2003). I understand that to do this, the vehicle must pass an SVA test before it can be registered. There are some websites that provide "model reports", which seem to me to specify testing criteria that will validate a car is the actual model it claims to be.

What I'm confused about is, does the fact that a "model report" exist mean that the vehicle will pass the SVA (assuming the vehicle achieves similar results to the model report)?

I'm guessing that my car will be OK, but things that come to mind are:

1. Emissions - JDM exhaust system I think has one less cat than the UK version. Is this an issue?
2. Speedometer - do all cars in the UK require a MPH speedo or is the JDM speedo in KMH OK?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated...

Regards
Justin
Old 03 August 2004, 11:50 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.

I've got one of these cars and yes it did require a Speedo conversion to MPH. All they do is convert the G'box output and then cover the K on the KMH speedo.

For more info on the SVA and model reports look at the following link half way down the page.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicles.htm

Nathan..
Old 03 August 2004, 11:58 AM
STI8U
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
Hi mate.

I've got one of these cars and yes it did require a Speedo conversion to MPH. All they do is convert the G'box output and then cover the K on the KMH speedo.

For more info on the SVA and model reports look at the following link half way down the page.

Nathan..
Cool thanks - at the moment it has a turbo back exhaust, but I have the stock exhaust system still. Are their any emissions/noise compliance issues that I need to be aware of?
Old 03 August 2004, 12:04 PM
STI8U
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
Hi mate.

Nathan..
Just out of interest, does the g'box modification remove the JDM 190kmh speed limiter?...Will be kinda cool having a 180MPH speedo as opposed to 180KMH
Old 03 August 2004, 12:43 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate you need to make sure the cars is totally bog standard. also has it got standard wheels on it or standard size after market ones mate as this will effect the noise element of the test, as will any body mods like aftermarket spoilers, bumpers etc, and also what kind of suspension has it got.basicaly the car has to bog standard. the converter converts the milege reading into mph and derestricts it at the same time. yes this does have to bedone as does a rear fog light, fuel restricter etc.
but most importantly look on www.modelreports.com to see if a model report is available for this model. hope that helps
Old 03 August 2004, 01:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive only imported cars commercially from Japan; but if I recall a 'Personal Import' such as this will not need an SVA test, so model reports arent really relevant. To qualify as a 'Personal Import', I think that you must have owned the car for six months before immigration.

Simon