Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the bottom fallen out of used imprezas?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2004, 03:10 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has the bottom fallen out of used imprezas?

Has the market really taken a down turn for used import classics? I bought a 94L plate wagon less than a year ago for 4600 pounds, spent nearly another 1000 pounds on tires, brakes, colour coding, stero and servicing. Now nine months later, not a sniff on hear in the for sale section, and not a call from Autotrader at 3999ono. What has happened? Surely there are as many people wanting to get into a scooby as there are wanting to get out? Is the import owner forced to fall on their sword and trade in at rock bottom prices or is a scooby a dog for life
Old 30 March 2004, 03:14 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I think this applies to most cars out there not just Scoobies , at the end of the day there are more cars out there than people want to drive , Stick with it , a buyer will come along sooner or later , now the weather is turning better the feel good factor will bring out the buyers

Dave
Old 30 March 2004, 03:14 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Had to give my old one back to the finance company. Nobody wanted it.
Old 30 March 2004, 03:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

they way i see it, is nobody wants a imported car which when its ran on uk fuel and stuff, isnt much faster then a genuine uk car (which has less chance of blowing up)

on the other hand, as the new ones are a lot more powerfull then the uk cars there more popular
Old 30 March 2004, 03:42 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Another worrying thing is the current spate of high performance car thefts, not just Scoobs but others.

Puts me off buying an expensive and/or performance car
Old 30 March 2004, 04:07 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Another worrying thing is the current spate of high performance car thefts, not just Scoobs but others.

Puts me off buying an expensive and/or performance car
Exactly!
Old 30 March 2004, 04:07 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Being in the market to buy a subaru at the moment, ive looked at a few adverts for them and made some calls and no-one seems to be selling their cars. Personally I think a lot of people are advertising very over inflated prices for their subarus. This could possibly overlap into other such cars but i aint been looking at others.
Old 30 March 2004, 04:16 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Nearly all cars will sell at the right price. I bet if you had it up for £1k, you'd have a queue of people banging your door down.

Try £3,500 or even £3,000 for a quick sale. Else hold on at £4k but be prepared to wait.
Old 30 March 2004, 06:05 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Nearly all cars will sell at the right price. I bet if you had it up for £1k, you'd have a queue of people banging your door down.

Try £3,500 or even £3,000 for a quick sale. Else hold on at £4k but be prepared to wait.
3500 would be fine for me I have another car lined up but will miss it if she doesn't go soon.
Old 30 March 2004, 06:06 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

RRB, what are you looking for?
Old 30 March 2004, 06:25 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stebed
RRB, what are you looking for?

Ive now provisionally bought one MY00 advertised on here now. Going to do the deal tomorrow.
Old 30 March 2004, 06:34 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RRB
Ive now provisionally bought one MY00 advertised on here now. Going to do the deal tomorrow.
Good, I am sure you will love the car, the car isn't the reason I am selling.
Old 30 March 2004, 08:16 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE INSURANCE QUOTES IM 33YRS MY FIRST 5 QUOTES WHERE OVER £1000-£1500 I TRIED THE INTERNET AND SCOOBYNET AND NOW PAYING £700 3YNCB WHICH IS STILL EXPENSIVE FOR A WRX 94 10YRS OLD FFS
Old 30 March 2004, 08:26 PM
swampdonkeyday
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stebed
Has the market really taken a down turn for used import classics? I bought a 94L plate wagon less than a year ago for 4600 pounds, spent nearly another 1000 pounds on tires, brakes, colour coding, stero and servicing. Now nine months later, not a sniff on hear in the for sale section, and not a call from Autotrader at 3999ono. What has happened? Surely there are as many people wanting to get into a scooby as there are wanting to get out? Is the import owner forced to fall on their sword and trade in at rock bottom prices or is a scooby a dog for life
ive just bought a MY94 wrx and could have quite easily purchased an import like yours and was tempted but not knowing a great deal about imports eg parts repairs insurance opted uk car maindealer 3999 sounds agood price good luck all the best swampy
Old 30 March 2004, 08:57 PM
crazyenglishman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by swampdonkeyday
ive just bought a MY94 wrx and could have quite easily purchased an import like yours and was tempted but not knowing a great deal about imports eg parts repairs insurance opted uk car maindealer 3999 sounds agood price good luck all the best swampy

didnt think they done a wrx my94 uk car
may be wrong
Old 30 March 2004, 10:05 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am sure it will go, hopefuly before I miss my next car. It is a nice scoob so if someone comes to see it I am sure they will take it.
Old 31 March 2004, 07:57 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

All imports have gone cheap mate. People can import wagons now for about 3k
Old 31 March 2004, 08:06 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you have to remember an L reg motor is at least 10 years old, people reconsider there options when they realise they are spending 4k on an L reg car thats had 10 years of thrashing....
Old 31 March 2004, 08:18 AM
King RA
BANNED

I don't know what part of the country your in but a couple of months ago my friend was looking and the cheapest I saw at 5k was a heap. More like 6k was the going rate for a 94/95 WRX. Thats in N.W London BTW.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:27 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M0NEY
All imports have gone cheap mate. People can import wagons now for about 3k
Well go and find me a nice cheap version 5 or 6 type r then. I wouldn`t call 12 to 16k for a my99 or 2000 cheap.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:34 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by swampdonkeyday

If you`ve got a 94 wrx it is an import.
All classic shape scoobs are uk turbo`s anything with wrx on is an import.
Unless some clown has rebadged it.
Old 31 March 2004, 11:48 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

dont take this the wrong way,,

i look at sh scoobys on a daily basis to see if a good buy comes along...

as soon as i see .... 18 in alloys eibach suspension k&n etc,

i stop looking and move on.....

its not that i dont want the car, its just i dont want to take on the bigger

increase in insurance premiums due to the mods on top of what is a very niche market vehicle and has high premiums to start with

its sad to say, that the scoob is rapidly heading the way of the pug 205gti

both in terms of insurance leprosy & theft status!!

prhaps in 10 yrs the market will settle down and insurance will become reasonable....

prehaps if more standard vehicles were hitting the market they may sell better

Mart
Old 31 March 2004, 12:07 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by mart360

prhaps in 10 yrs the market will settle down and insurance will become reasonable....

Mart
I didn't think my insurance was that bad really ,£560 fully comp with protected ncb ,for me and the Mrs, I am over 30 though and do live 'in the sticks' , and the car is bog standard except for a prodrive rear wing

Dave
Old 31 March 2004, 12:22 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I've paid the same amount for insurance (750 ish) on almost every car I've owned over the last 15 years ! - I even paid that 3rd party only on my rally mini !!!

I don't think its unreasonable on a car with 280bhp+ and over 8K's worth of mods....

I can't see mine being worth much, now or when I come to sell, so at least I'm prepared for it. - Cost me 14K 4 years ago, be surprised if I'll get 3 for it really, so I might as well run it until its dead (Hopefully that'll be a while !)

Mark
Old 31 March 2004, 01:28 PM
frog51
Scooby Newbie

Talking Okay, so I'm over 30

Just got rid of my '98 Sport which was costing me £550 a year in insurance (actually, premium went down after I damaged the bumper and downpipes avoiding a dog - by driving through a bollard) and bought a '00 turbo and insurance is now £750. Directline and most others were quoting £1k and above, plus the requirement for a tracker, but Subaru Insured got me this decent quote from Norwich Union.

Just drove the new one for the first time today - quick 150 mile run before work. How happy am I? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 31 March 2004, 02:38 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mine is a standard car, standard 16" wheels and suspension. Yes it is a 10 year old car but has only covered 65k miles. You get a lot of car for the money with an import and the lower price offsets the insurance. I say again, this is a nice car original looking and not loud, if I was to stay living in rural Derbyshire there would be no chance of selling it but I am not so have decided to change it. I now know I am going to loose some money, but did expect some more interest.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:03 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

I was up at the car auction's today, Silver X reg, WRX, 56k miles (warrented), a few dinks but nothing major, all yours for 9,700 (+ 250 admin)

Ideal base car if you wanted to take the modding route
Old 31 March 2004, 05:51 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Currently got an STi8 on my radar, and the prices seem to be all over the place.

3 week old one from Carcraft on ebay earlier this week. Not sure if it sold, as bidding stopped at 17.5k with reserve not met.
Another one, about a year old, 6000 miles was at 13.5k, but he pulled it. I've since had a mail about it asking if I'm interested.

Then I see some on here, Piston Heads etc. for 22k upwards......

Keep saying to myself, right time, right place and I might just land a bargin.

I spoke to a dealer about the one from Carcraft, saying they might be able to do something about the price.... so another avenue to explore.

Deffo some big variation though.
Old 31 March 2004, 06:54 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Be prepared to wait for selling any car.
I recently had same problem and nearly traded car in for stupid money.
But patiently waited and sold car eventually.
The worse thing is I had another Scooby bought and Insuring the 2 was costly but still cost less than trading the car in.
maybe you could advertise on some of the Trackday Sites someone may be tempted to get a Track day car.
Most important advice if someone comes to look make sure it is spotless and ready for viewing it only takes the right person to come along and want it
Good luck
Old 31 March 2004, 10:39 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice but trade in is looking more likely after hearing horror stories of sellers getting pushed out of cars on test drives and house break-in s after viewings, but i guess the latter would save me some cash on dog food

Quick Reply: Has the bottom fallen out of used imprezas?