Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Unmarked police car or not? Signs to look for...

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2000, 10:31 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How can you tell if it's a police car?

Cheers,

Andrei
Old 20 June 2000, 10:37 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

if its going weeee warrrr weeee warrrrr

I don't know....how do you tell if its a Police Car???

He he he

Old 20 June 2000, 10:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

2x Rear View Mirrors (not BSM tho' )

Extra Aerials

Funny lumps on rear parcel shelf.

Lights inside front grill.
Old 20 June 2000, 11:45 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

At least 2 occupants (I hesitate to say blokes cos the White Mondeo I saw filling up on the Hogs back had a bird in it, reg V ??? ENJ FYI) in white shirts with epaulettes.

The incumbents of said Mondeo quite deliberately waited for me to leave before setting off, think they thought I'd head up the A31, actually headed back to Farnham down the back roads.
Old 21 June 2000, 12:58 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

West Yorkshire (I presume) on the A1 there was something going on yesterday which seemed to require an inordinate number of traffic cars including a bright red scooby complete with blue flashing lights ON TOP - not behind any grill... There was also a fire engine motoring along so maybe the fire service have got in on the act !

cheers

Andy
Old 21 June 2000, 08:05 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

No hubcaps.
Allegedly because these might fly off in a high speed pursuit and cause third-party damage - the last thing the police need when they're trying to do their job.

Two people.
Most unmarked cars seem to be staffed by pairs of policemen and women. In today's environment of single-occupant cars, this can be quite noticable.

Odd lumps.
The video camera will either be suspended under the inside rearview mirror, or in a lump on the front dashboard. Having said this, there's an unmarked car in my area with a pair of furry dice hanging below the mirror to disguise the shape of the camera. Go figure.

Extra lights on the tailgate or behind the radiator.
But if you're close enough to see these, you're probably already in trouble.

Two rearview mirrors.
They often have a second inside rearview mirror for the second officer. But not always

A large 'box' on the rear parcel shelf.
This is the width of the parcel shelf and about 10cm tall (ie a long, flat box). If the car is going to pull you over, they overtake and then the centre section of this box flips up with a 'stop police' illuminated sign in it.

Sequential plates.
As the police generally buy cars in dollops, the registration numbers are concurrent. Around your own area, memorise the various patterns and you can spot the unmarkeds. This is of limited use at a distance but it can help you at lights or whilst overtaking.

Examples in Manchester J-xxx-NND, K-xxx-VNA, P-xxx-ERJ, R-xxx-SVM

Other possibilites:
No tow bars, GB stickers or dealer window stickers. Not a complete absence of stickers though. I know several unmarked cars around my area sporting local radio station stickers and other similar items in their windows. Smaller aerials fitted to the bumpers rather than on the roof or rear window.

This taken from the speedtrap bible.

Ro
Old 21 June 2000, 08:10 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Doesn't always have two people in it, I've been pulled by a single copper and don't always have a second rear view mirror!

Aside from that there's not much else nowadays police cars can now have:

dealer stickers
private regs
any make of car
any colour
any age! (w.yorks police have some 15yr+ Rovers and Vauxhalls!)

Also beware of van pointing down the road, rear doors open with a guy sat in the back with a camera!! And cars parked at the end of a lay-by with two rubber strips running from the car across the road!!
Old 21 June 2000, 08:11 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No dealer markings, no tow bar, always clean (especially windows). Sometimes a lump in the middle of the dash between the drivers or suspended from the roof lining (video camera). Often de-badged. Plus other things alredy mentioned.

If in doubt slow down and have a look-see as you crawl passed at +1mph - has saved me on numerous occasions.

If ANY car / bike approaches you fast from behind, slow down, pull in and wait to see if your suspicions are confirmed. If not you can always speed up again.

Check up slip roads as you pass them (having slowed down as well!) as this is a favourite viewing point. Also overhead bridges, but sat back (check either end as you approach).

KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED....
Old 21 June 2000, 08:26 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

They don't have extra aerials much these days as they're built into the rear screens / roofs. They almost always have 2 rear view mirrors but the burly geezers inside with white shirts on often give them away.

The cameras can be mounted on the rear view mirror or in the corner of the screen so you can't always see it from behind.

The biggest give-away is that they are normally the only car travelling at anywhere near the speed limit!
Old 21 June 2000, 08:38 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree with Mike on one of his points.

The favorite pastime on the Cheshire/North Wales border is to wait halfway down the approach slip road after a bridge. Being halfway down you can't see them unitl you go under the bridge and look in your rear view mirror. Chances are it's too late by then though.

I tend to just not speed on motorways and dual carriageways.

Save it for the twisty hills of North Wales. May they stay sacred forever to the driving enthusiast. Hooorah!
Old 21 June 2000, 09:55 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

The days of spotting cars with no hubcaps are long gone, all the new ones have alloy wheels - nothing to fly off.

A lot of the internal blue lights are now retractable, either up into the ceiling or down into the dash/parcel shelf.

Blue lights in the grill are also virtually invisible, unless you get lucky with the angle of the sun. There aren't any external rear lights, they just use the existing ones, plus pop-up matrix signs mounted internally.

I think the biggest giveaway now is driving technique. A powerful car sitting in the slow lane doing 65mph always catches my attention. They also drive in their "safety cocoons" - they don't get too close to other vehicles and there is always space around them, in case they need to change heading suddenly.

Watch for cars that you overtake suddenly pulling out to "give chase", particularly if they don't actually try to overtake. Vehicles stopped in funny places like bridges or laybys should also make you think twice.

I'm with Mike on this one (can I ever live it down? ), be on the lookout constantly, don't speed past bridges or slip roads and study <I>every</I> vehicle on the road as you're driving. I'd always rather suffer a "false-alarm" than a chat with the flashing-blues.
Old 21 June 2000, 10:49 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

West Mercia police run a old shape BMW 5 series on the M5/M6, it is totally unmarked with one plain clothes driver. Car is fitted with latest 540 V8 engine and running gear, as I found out to my cost in 1998.

Only give away is two small blue lights behing front kindey grille (but you only see these after you've blasted past). I did not feel very clever.
Old 21 June 2000, 10:55 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Anyone got a list of unmarked cars for the south of England ?

Ro.
Old 21 June 2000, 12:53 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Wink

Was the bird a blackbird? or a crow???
Old 21 June 2000, 01:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ro
This URL might be of use:
Old 21 June 2000, 01:52 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Andy,
That red scoob was probably a fire service backup vehicle !! If only the police were that obvious.

As regards unmarked cars, check your mirrors all the time as has been said previously. If I see a saloon with two occupants behind me I generally slow down a tad ! They also won't hog lane 2 or 3 or have dodgy headlights (hopefully!).

Old 21 June 2000, 01:59 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Angry

You must also be wary of them creating a situation it is easy for you to speed in.

Now, I thought that their main aim was to prevent crime.

I was third in a line of traffic in the fast lane of a quiet (as it gets) m3 eastbound nr j2. The cars in front of me pulled in. I wasn't looking, just spotted kilometers of lovely open road, and my toe went down.
A blue 2.5 v6 omega saloon leapt out behind me lit up like a christmas tree.

The policeman told me that they had waited until the road was clear, knowing some idiot would hammer down it past them, giving them an easy catch.

This idiot was forty quid lighter and collected three points.

In a moment of bravado I was going to push for entrapment, but it's easier to pay the cash. ho-hum.

As Mr Rainbird Says, have a good butchers at them as you pass.
Old 21 June 2000, 02:00 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

Not sure, but I think that if a police car with a dodgy headlight pulled you over, you might be able to get off on a technicality, something about them not following proper procedure (i.e. not driving a roadworthy vehicle).

Anyone know for certain?
Old 21 June 2000, 04:38 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

If the Police car has a dogy headlamp (for instance) then they must be able to fix it on the spot, otherwise you can get off the charge on a technicality. I believe their cars need to be in a roadworthy condition in order to be used for Police duty.

Andrew
Old 21 June 2000, 05:12 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Subverbal has a point: If the car is being driven badly or has its fog lights on in broad daylight or has one headlight working, or is driving on sidelights or is stuck in the middle lane : then it's a pretty good bet its <B>NOT</B> a traffic cop!

Watch out at motorway service stations as many have a police base in them somewhere. Also County boudaries on Motorways and Trunk roads - usually turn around at their last juction: Exception to this rule is Derbyshire/Notts/Leicestershire on M1 as they have joint patrols (Jct 30 still a favourite though North or South)

This idiot managed to get pulled by a marked Mondeo with lights on top travelling behind me DOH! (Done nowt wrong though )

Chris
Old 21 June 2000, 05:54 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

No rear headrests,
Watch for big cars sitting in frount of HGVs (you can't see them until you've gone past but slow down anyway),
Will not be smoking

I generally agree with the rest of what's been said. I quite often drive an Omgea as a hire car, it is always funny to watch peoples reactions as they think you are an unmarked police car (white shirt and dark tie also help ).

Mark
Old 21 June 2000, 07:07 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys!

What about getting one of those "Black Rat" stickers? Will it help get away?
Old 22 June 2000, 10:06 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Red face

Have been reliably informed by one of the police drivers of the red Scoob that covers the M3 / A303 / A3 areas that HE WILL "nick" offenders regardless of the black rat sticker!
Old 22 June 2000, 10:21 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Mark C,

A colleague and I had a Pug 406 hire car - in white. We were travelling from oxford to plymouth and were not hanging about on dual carriageways etc. It was amazing the amount of people who simply pulled out of the way whilst in the outside lane. We were both wearing white shirts and tie and quite enjoyed the fact that most people were quite happy to move over. Maybe an even quicker point to point car than a scooby - down the A34 at least
Old 22 June 2000, 10:36 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

2 smiling coppers because it has got to be the best police ride.

Ed
Old 23 June 2000, 08:12 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

WARNING - Police cars can have dealer sticker and dealer names on reg plates. All the supplying dealer needs to do is sponsor a piece of equipment in the car, and they can put sticker, reg plates etc on. I also know of W.Yorks police cars with GB stickers and tow bars.

Not playing fair!
Old 23 June 2000, 03:32 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

jjones

When I had the dark blue Omega I was travelling down the M25 when I spotted another blue Omega. I slowed down, very slowly over took him and saw he wasn't a Policeman. He was obviously trying to see if I was as well (I'm not by the way). We then both proceeded at warp 6, head lights on, with everything getting out of way. We even passed four T5 "marked" cars parked at the side of the road who didn't give chase.
Bit silly but good fun.