ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed Trap on M6 (Cheshire)

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2000, 04:21 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just got back from two weeks holiday in The Lake District ( - saw a number of Scoobys on the way up on Sunday 4th incidentally) and got a nasty surprise - a Notice of Intended Prosecution!

The police had a van (Transit sized, white, but can't remember if it was marked or not) up on one of the bridges somewhere between junction 16 and 18 going North. It was right over the far right of the bridge, partly obscured by bushes or trees. Pretty sneaky, I thought.

They had the sliding side door open, and I think they were using some sort of radar gun on a tripod. From memory, I think the M6 was curving left at that point, so they weren't really visible until you were practically on top of them, so I'm not exactly sure of the details.

Anyone got any ideas about what sort of speed radar this would have been?

And.........be warned if you're going up that way.

Pete
Old 19 June 2000, 06:46 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Most likely to be an LTI 20-20 or a RIEGL device as these both operate very easily from a tripod when attatched to AUTOVISION or some similar video recording equipment.
Old 19 June 2000, 10:10 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Angry

The M6 in that area is a nightmare at the moment. In the roadworks between j26 and j27 is 2 gatsos. Last time I went past about a fortnight ago the alleged number of captures was over 20,000!!
Also between j25 and j26 the police sit on top of the bridges in mpv's. You can tell they've got a beady eye on you cos the back windows are usually down.
Old 20 June 2000, 08:40 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stuart.

Does the fact that they were targetting at a fairly oblique angle affect the reading in any way? I thought you were supposed to use those things from the centre of the bridge.

Probably a forlorn hope, but I'm clutching at straws!!
Old 20 June 2000, 06:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

I am sure that i read somewhere, that speed measurements cannot be taken from within a vehicle. That is why Police officers keep at least one foot on the ground when using radar and laser guns. Unlike America, speed measuring devices are not certified for use within a moving vehicle - hence the foot on the floor as proof.

If the tripod was hidden within the transit, then maybe the evidence so gained is inadmissible in court - maybe worth pursuing if you were approaching ban speeds.

I don't wish to encourage people to try to break the law, but on that stretch of the M6 - you can be lucky to even reach 70mph much of the time, and more accidents happen at these peak periods.

Maybe if these enforcement transits could contain anti-tailgating devices, or anti-outside and middle lane hogs instruments, road casualities would fall significantly!

mb
Old 21 June 2000, 08:17 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Not true, I know of several people 'nicked' from a Galaxy window/transit van back/stationary car parked in lay-by with rubber strips......

Best way to try and get out of it is to check the laser equipment was calibrated at that set-up. IIRC Unless they did three 'drive pasts' with a calibrated speedo car to check the accuracy of the equipment, and noted that down, the reading are inadmissable. The 'drive past' has to be done every time the camera is used - most can't be arsed to do it!

Good luck!!
Old 21 June 2000, 09:22 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

On the subject of the Gatso's on the M6 J26-27. I am a good boy and maintain the 50 limit through there because I know the cameras are there but I was passed the other day by a vehicle doing approximately 70mph and approaching the lines on the road. I chuckled to myself that he was going to get flashed.........but nothing, he just continued through.

From this I still think it is safest to stick to the limit on the motorways, or between 80 and 90 and then give it death on quite B roads.