Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK - Clarksons Jap Evo car show tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2000, 11:43 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Darn! I'm out drinkin tonight and I forgot to set the video. Don't make my mistake people. Clarksons show tonight on BBC2 at 8.30pm is all about jap performance cars - Scoobs and Evo's will feature highly.
Chuck
Old 08 June 2000, 11:55 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

I am taping the Clarkson series - let me know if you want a copy of the tape.
Old 08 June 2000, 09:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Just finished watching it. IMHO spot on in everything he said. I just hope the new Impreza has one of those G meters and computers like the one in the Skyline.

It's got a bright button. I've no idea what it does, only that I want one
Old 08 June 2000, 09:17 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

yep another great program

much better than TG.

Old 08 June 2000, 09:21 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I'm a bloke .... give me buttons .... more buttons ..... and they did ........ it has BRIGHT on it ........

K
Old 08 June 2000, 09:21 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I came home early from taking the girlfriend out for a meal, just so i could watch it. IMHO i am very dissapointed, i have been looking forward to it for the last 2 weeks and got the feeling it was gonna be about Scoobies and Evo's having a showdown...
Ok , the Skyline was worth coming home for, but if i'd known it was going to be like that i would have stayed out. Was not as god as last weeks show at all, what do you think?
Old 08 June 2000, 09:30 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hi Hos,

I thought it was another good show, shows you how damn good the Japs were at selling cars while we were all on strike ... nice to see it was about all Jap cars and not just the scoob and evo, this series lokk like it will be a classic ...

Home truth time ..... more buttons means better ...... did'nt you just want the skyline .... and the amp

K
Old 08 June 2000, 09:36 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I agree - disappointing. Not what I was expecting.
There was only a brief mention of the Scoob P1 or for that matter, the Evo VI. I thought he would devoted a little more time to these.

Interesting programme, I suppose, though in a history lesson sort of way.

D.
Old 08 June 2000, 09:54 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

i owned an Alfa Arna once and seriously considered blowing the thing up... cheers Jeremy! You did what i never had the nerve to do!
Old 08 June 2000, 10:27 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Wink

I`m fortunate enough to know already how good the Skyline is so that bit of the show was a bit dull IMO.I thought the show was a dissapiontment on the whole,and I didnt know the RB5 had water spray???????????
Old 08 June 2000, 10:30 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Angry

You've let me down Claxman.

It's good that he does some general chit chat (like some Vectra bashing), but in a half an hour show, I would expect to see more action from Japan's pocket rockets.

The fact that it was better than Top Gear, Driven etc is not the point. Could do better.
Old 08 June 2000, 10:39 PM
JamesO
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Seeing the Evo 6 going sideways in a cloud of smoke did it for me. Classic!
Old 08 June 2000, 10:49 PM
Simon West
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was disappointed, thought there would have been more scooby/evo action. Still good to have Clarkson back on TV though.
Old 08 June 2000, 11:05 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Enjoyed the show. I think,like most people here I was expecting more on the Impreza / Evo type car - but still good (Skyline stunning).

"It's a bloody wendy house!" was priceless
Old 09 June 2000, 12:10 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well said Adam M
Old 09 June 2000, 01:11 AM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

That's the first review I've seen where the Skyline is so highly rated above the P1 or EVO. But then again I've always found Clarkson to be more amusing than informative. Bit of a let down I thought. Good history lesson though.
Old 09 June 2000, 08:30 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hmm...not too impressed with last nights programme, why all of a sudden the land of the rising sun is being slated??

Totally disjointed follow up from last week.

All a bit bewildering I must say!

Is there such a massive difference between the Skyline and EVO/Scooby ?? I don't think so....and what was it about that water spray business....it's news to me. The Skyline is a excellent car, but totally different than the EVO/Scooby. Full of electronics and trickery, bugger all driver involevment IMHO.

And if Clarky thought the Honda sounds good, it was like a sewing machine compared to my Scooby !!

A much better follow up would be a programme comparing the 80's SUPERCARS that he talked about last week to today's AFFORDABLE USABLE supercars like EVO/Scooby/Skyline etc...

Gethin.
Old 09 June 2000, 08:45 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

At the risk of sounding insulting (but not meaning to!), I think there are some high horses that need to be dismounted from here.

I saw the programme as 30 minutes of genuine entertainment, be it about Scoobs, EVOs, Skylines, whatever. At times it was amusing to the point of making me laugh outloud, not something that TG has been able to make me do for some years. Clarkson does it for me, even if he said that the Scoob was an abomination of mankind it would still make me laugh, he is entitled to his opinion.

The best moment was the EVO sliding in the wet, I was staggered at the speed he turned in, wet wide open spaces or not.

IMHO the programme should be praised for its lighthearted approach and some not been seen as social comment on cars from Japan and their relative merits and owners.

The soap box is now free for someone else to use

Max
Old 09 June 2000, 09:50 AM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mr Clarkson like to Air his Wit whilst he gentle (or not) takes the ****.

If the Programme was all about the brilliant
Skyline / P1 / Evo VI he wouldn't be able to.

Loved the NSX bit - Classic

NeilR
Old 09 June 2000, 10:01 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I'm afraid I have to agree with Maxwell here. The programs are about types of cars, not specific cars. Clarkson was talking about the rise of the Japanese car industry, and their subsequent fall from grace or takeover. He was as entertaining as ever, and the brief bit dedicated to performance cars was quite good IMO.

It seems that what you want is the type of coverage given to these cars that TG or driven do, but then you complain about the quality of those programs! You expected something that Clarkson is simply not going to give, and I for one am glad about that because his brand of car program is far superior to any other on the telly.

Geezer

P.S. Maxwell, stop wasting time on this BBS and get some work done!
Old 09 June 2000, 10:10 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember that the programme was 30 minutes on the rise & fall of the Japanese motor industry, not 30 minutes on the Subaru Impreza! I thought it was really good TV. Yes, I'd have liked to see more of the Scoob, but the Skyline & to a lesser extent the Evo were more interesting because of the electronic gagetry inside them.

I think the only thing missing was a direct comparison between a Scoob/Evo/Skyline and a traditional RWD supercar. It would have been good to show how much quicker the 4X4's are in the wet. Is the Skyline the best of the three? Well, it is the most expensive, so I'd expect it to be!!

And, as pointed out, Clarkson is keen to entertain as much as inform, so facts are occasionally glossed over to make good TV. Despite this, he still manages to do both better than Top Gear.

Why is Japan being slated? Because they are losing ground. Nissan made a loss <I>worldwide</I> every year for the last <I>six</I> years, that's why Renault stepped in. Such a shame that British manufacturers aren't around to take over.

Roll on next week's show.
Old 09 June 2000, 10:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I did enjoy the show but got bored by the history part. I was hoping to see a comparison too new supercars against old, and the way he wetted our apetites last week was completely unfounded.

Much as I love the skyline, I don't believe it blows the evo and scoob out of the water.

To me the programme seemed like a big contradiction. I take his point that some japanese cars are european copies, and he went on to show these comparisons. But did he not make a point of the imp, evo and skyline.

If these cars do not have their own individuality and soul then which do? Are they not originally japanese? Did the italians make them without me knowing?

Just appears to have destroyed his own argument to me.
Old 09 June 2000, 11:09 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ok i agree that the programme was described as 30 minutes on the rise & fall of the Japanese motor industry in text... but why advertise it the week before and in adverts about being about the power rockets of Japan- i.e scoobs and evo's going sideways on the preview instead of an old banger driving along a country estate. Bet if they showed old history lesson cars on the preview - most of what were before my time... only half of the people would have watched it?
Ian
Old 09 June 2000, 11:12 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Thoroughly enjoyable viewing - is how I would describe it. Blowing the car up, the Halfords EVO comparison and the Wendy House remark left me LOL.

Should have had an STI 6 on there and not the P1 - surely it hadn't been run in yet?

Old 09 June 2000, 11:44 AM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Talking

If a P1 with the reg: W873 JDA ever comes onto the market, I dont think I will buy it. Would you?

Martin
Old 09 June 2000, 12:05 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Got a funny feeling of 'heard this before' at the start of the show: then realised that the bit on Japanes cars in June's top gear (p140) is a transcript of the show (bet he got paid twice too!).

Thought the show was pretty good, Mr C back to his bets ...

So, what's the button he's on about on the RB5? is it the button for the headlight washers on the RB5 that does the intercooler spray (never pressed mine!)??
Old 09 June 2000, 04:52 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

As a point of order I bet the Jag has more buttons than a Scooby.

In my MY96... I dont have aircon, I dont have swithcable traction control, I dont have electric seats, I dont have a trip computer, I dont have much at all.... Just lots of fun.
Old 09 June 2000, 05:21 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

hello

muppet here. what on earth does LOL mean? i thought it was 'lots of love'...
Old 09 June 2000, 05:27 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can do! - see
Old 09 June 2000, 05:28 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

So he says the man with the buttons is king, but last week he drooled over an F40 - hold on, I'm taking it too seriously now - would still have liked more 4 wheel drive action (even it it was just from the Nissan).

Quick Reply: UK - Clarksons Jap Evo car show tonight.