Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a scoob before finding scoobynet ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 09:37 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If you did, with your knowledge of scoobs from reading the BBS, would you have got a different model (ie UK, JDM Import, Sti, Type R, MY99 instead of an MY98 etc etc) to the one you have now

put it this way.......

when i got mine (from a UK dealer in 2001) i had a choice of an MY98 with 30k or an MY99 with 40k, both were the same price. Being a complete scooby amateur I got the MY98 purely cos of the lower mileage.

I didnt find scoobynet for another 6 months and with the knowledge i now have from this BBS i wish i got the MY99 or better still waited/looked for a JDM STi 4/5

anyone else like this ?
Old 09 January 2004, 09:46 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep - in fact I bought and sold a MY98 before finding SN. That's why I ended up with an STi7 instead of 8 (doh!)

Still it's all in the head right ? They're really the same underneath ? Oh damn those foolish impulses
Old 09 January 2004, 09:54 PM
SPLITTER
Scooby Regular

Yeah i did m8
only wanted to get rid of my missus mx5
and ended up chopping it in for a scoob after a test drive
then i found scoobynet
Old 09 January 2004, 09:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I bought my MY98 before knowing scoobynet.Still love my motor.
Love knowing SN too.Very helpful and loads a fun!
Old 09 January 2004, 10:08 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I bought an MY98 wrx sti (import)
hadn't seen scoobynet when i bought it, at first i thought an impreza was an impreza didn't know there were so many different models till i started looking around to buy one. Saw a few for sale (private) but they were abused.
Then on one sunday i was bored saw a scooby advertised on the net looked well smart in the pic and in my price range,drove for twelve hours that day,picked up the car and got home around 3am. was up at six again and didn't feel tired from lack of sleep neighther

I was LUCKY in buying the car i would've have bought if i had all the knowledge i have gained from scoobynet
Old 09 January 2004, 10:11 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

Yep I didnae find SN until i owned a scoob for about a year When i first got it i knew little about them I served my time about 10 years ago so i knew my way around an engine but the flat 4 fryed my brain SN filled in the blanks 99% of the stuff on here is cool and there are some very knowledgable people on here and there are also some people who think they know more than subaru do

On the whole if you own or interested in Subaru then Scoobynet is an invaluable friend and tool for your AWD beastie

Its good to know that there 20000+ people online that are as passionate about Subaru as you are

Cheers Grunt
Old 09 January 2004, 10:13 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

yep i bought an MY 03 WRX because i could not find a P1 or sti7 that had been looked after

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2004, 10:48 PM
smigga46
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Didnt find SNET untill about 7 months later didnt have a pc now I have wife cant believe that I can spend so much time on it. Loads of invaluable advice and nice to know its not just you thats obsessed with your motor. Would I have made a different choice no what I got suited me and still does nice to know the alternatives though.
Old 09 January 2004, 10:54 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I was introduced to scoobynet by a mate of mine, TKH, following my first track day with him at Croft.

A couple of months later, the 540i had gone and I had my first Scoob
Old 09 January 2004, 11:03 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

i bought the wagon then found SN
If i had found SN first i think i would have got an RA or R as i think it would siut my drivin style better plus i dont think i would have done 4 gearboxes and 2 drive trains
Least i had a warrenty
Old 09 January 2004, 11:06 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I wanted a standard turbo wagon and luckily got the MY99 S-reg , with 4-pot brakes and extra BHP instead of the MY98 S. Found Scoobynet shortly after...

[Edited by Bubba po - 1/9/2004 11:09:30 PM]
Old 09 January 2004, 11:11 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
I registered on the site the day i bought my first Impreza, i bought my current car when i spotted it in the For Sale section 2 years later.

I know without scoobynet i wouldnt have learned anything like as much as i have, it's a great resource.
Old 09 January 2004, 11:13 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

i found scoobynet while i was looking for a scoob. It helped me out with what to look for when buying a UK car, i found quite a nice example.

I still would have bought a type R if i could have afforded one at the time.

Kevin

[Edited by kevin stanton - 1/9/2004 11:14:39 PM]
Old 09 January 2004, 11:23 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yes - I joined SN a week or two after I bought the car. If I were to do it again, I would probably have bought an STI, and maybe even an RA variant instead of the 'vanilla' UK Turbo I actually bought.
Old 09 January 2004, 11:24 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

if i have the knowledge gained from sn i would of held back till the 03s were out and missed out the bug eye model the bug eye is still a fab car but you guys have trashed it beyond the respect it deserves

also sn has cost me a fortune in mods that i would never have known about, good or bad not sure
Old 09 January 2004, 11:40 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

I have had scoobs for about 5/6 years, but never knew owt about them, only how to drive them then i got a comp and a mate told me about SN, now i know plenty about them thank's to SN, i now have a my02 moded and stickered up
Old 09 January 2004, 11:43 PM
Legal Eagle
Scooby Regular

I got my JDM WRX then found SIDC and scoobynet shortly after it arrived in the UK.
The forums (or fora) are, to me, simply a place to chat and/or spend a few minutes in harmless surfing prior to bedding down for the night.
I'm still waiting to appear in the "was it you" section tho...
Old 10 January 2004, 12:04 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a scoob sport as a company car back in march 99, and registered on SN (but lost that username/password) and came back on to SN when I was ready to buy my current turbo

Which I bought from here (as I lost out on the P1 at my local dealers)

Not through reading SN as such, but my speaking to ppl at various meets, if I was buying now, I would go for a JDM, probably Sti instead of the safe bet with a UK MY00, or I would get an Sti 7 or 8

Old 10 January 2004, 12:25 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Yep, only discovered SN between ordering a UK STi8 and taking delivery. Wouldn't have changed my mind, but might consider a JDM next time. DCCD would have been nice :-)
Old 10 January 2004, 01:43 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i planned to get a scooby and registerd with SN straight away

ill be honest, if SN wasnt here i wouldnt have bought it at all
i have been a vauxhall man all my life, knew them inside out, easy to fix

buying a high powerd jdm car was a bit off putting, spesh with the amount of bull**** floating about imports and stuff
if SN wasnt here i would be driving sumthing compleatly diffrent
Old 10 January 2004, 08:33 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

i bought a my97 uk turbo, found scoobynet, learnt some, wished id bought a type r
mark
Old 10 January 2004, 09:28 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I've been more than happy with the 2 UK Imprezas that I've owned
and Scoobynet has been a great help in running/maintaining both of 'em

however,I'm pretty sure that had I come across Scoobynet first,then I'd definately have bought an Evo
Old 10 January 2004, 09:32 AM
Graybr
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Didnt find SN until about 4 months after i got my Wrx , probably would of waited a lil longer and got a type r - however get loads of fun outta this one, loadsa mods to follow; all in all still chuffed!!!
Old 10 January 2004, 09:36 AM
yoza
BANNED

I joined after my purchase. WRX01

If I had have joined before the purchase, I wouldnt have bought it.

I would have saved a few more quid, or signed a longer agreement, and gone for a STI7, Or P1.
Old 10 January 2004, 10:12 AM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bought my scoob first, then found SN about 3 months later...... I would've probably bought an STi 5 V Ltd with hindsight ....... but my car is slightly modded now and I'm very happy with the performance
Old 10 January 2004, 11:07 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

I think if I had have heard all the bad stories about cars going pop I might not of bought one at all. Glad I found this site a month after I got my 00MY turbo if not I'd probably have been put off buying one to be honest.
I'm well chuffed with the car,and well glad I bought it just tricky to not get carried away with the mods though. Managed to restrict myself to a TEK 2 at present.......
Old 10 January 2004, 11:10 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

i thought i knew a bit about impreza i knew imports were better(dont want 2 offend any1) i got the car waiting for it to come over then found sn.learnt so much i didnt know about imports now thanks to sn pretty clued up about them now so i i know what i need to do first when i go to pick it up newt wednes day woohooo
:d
Old 10 January 2004, 11:20 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Yep - bought mine with the advice of a rally mechanic who has worked with them for years. I'd considered the STi (JDM) route, but the concern over insurance (or more likely it being nicked and the inconvenience of that), the fuel, and me not being able to handle the performance persuaded me to go down the UK route, and I'm still content with the one I got.
Old 10 January 2004, 11:32 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
I found SN a couple of months after buying 93 WRX for too much money, even though it is mint with only 46k miles. If found earlier, definitely would have looked around and got more for the money. Would probably have got uk sti and paid the same for insurance Still, 6 months on and lamda sensor only thing thats gone wrong
Old 10 January 2004, 11:57 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

When I bought my old Series McRae I had to wait a week to pick it up, during that time I trawled the net looking for more info and found Scoobynet.

Don't have a scoob anymore but scoobynet has been part of my day for over three years, can't give it up.

Still love to go to scoob meets and events as well.

Lee

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a scoob before finding scoobynet ?