ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wrong sort of image? Buy a BMW???!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2000, 08:20 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Found this in the Guardian's archive - unbelievable. They should have been grateful to have a guest with such good taste, and maybe make more of an effort to improve carpark security.....!

"Bad Manors
Poor David Christensen. He's been banned from the hotel where he was living for driving the wrong car. Staff at the exclusive Ardencote Manor Hotel, near Warwick, say the 43-year-old IBM executive's Subaru Impreza Turbo would attract the wrong sort of people. And it seems they were right; on his first night there thieves smashed the car's windows and raided the hotel office in an attempt to find its keys. Apparently the £21,000 model is favoured for ram-raiders and joy-riders. So Mr Christensen will either have to find somewhere else to live or buy himself a BMW."

Old 05 June 2000, 08:37 AM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Volunteer in Epping doesn't allow bikers of any sort, BMW or otherwise (That's even if you're dressed in a suit & get off a bike!)

I'm happy not to give them my business & "warn" others not to bother going there. Biggoted idiots
Old 05 June 2000, 08:47 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bunch of T*SS*RS!!!

What seems to have been highlighted here is their obvious lack of security for such an "exclusive" hotel.

Rich.
Old 05 June 2000, 10:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was chatting to my dealer the other day, and he told me, that Subaru are hoping to become the Japanese BMW!!

Whether you like it or not!!!

Does that mean, I'll lose all my ability to drive, and my indicators will become an optional extra!! (You can tell when a BMW is broken: The indicators work!!!)
Old 05 June 2000, 10:38 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have heard of this before. I work in the live event and video industry and spend a reasonable amount of time in hotels. There is a hotel in Cheshire with the same policy and they are not alone. Sadly, i usually ask if they have a lot of problems with car crime before i travel and i have taken other cars on odd occaisions. This is a crappy situation as i do not see why car thives should have the final say where i take my car. One of the problems with hotels and especially the more expensive/exclusive establishments is the local or not so local scum-bag car thives know that there is a good chance of finding fast/quality motors in the hotels car park. and therefore target these premisis accordingly. This is not a good excuse for the hotel to have crap security. Most do have reasonable CCTV systems for what they are worth. Barriers are no deterrant. A few establishments have secure compounds with full time security although a security guard on £ 5.00 per hour is unlikely to tackle a determined thief.

Answer - Don't know. I make it as difficult as possible for the Bast**ds to get my car - Trackstar, disklock and i have been known to remove plug leads.

The hotels do their best - for what it is worth but they do not really care and are not prepared to spend money on this problem.

The thieves - Flog e'm or chop their hands off.