ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

origin b2 fitting

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2004, 04:46 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

just about to buy and origin b2 unit. how easy is it to do the install yourself and roughly how long should it take me?

many thanks
Old 01 January 2004, 04:54 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I comes with a mobile phone type cradle so should be easy peasy
Old 02 January 2004, 10:25 AM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

Fairly easy. I installed on a '98 STI 4. Having installed the unit low down on my other car I found that for the few false alarms that it gave it was quite handy to be able to see the display clearly so mounted it just to the right of the steering wheel on the Scoob.

You could just stick it to the dash but I found that obscured the tachometer/speedo, although the B2 does show speed itself so you might get away with blocking the view of the speedo maybe? Anyway, I made a bracket from aluminium and put this in a small gap near the steering column where the top and bottom sections of the dashboard plastic meet. Then mounted the B2 cradle on top of this bracket.

Main B2 wire then runs through gap near steering column and down into space above driver's footwell, where all the other wires have space to meet it. GPS unit mounted on back shelf and wire run under seats and driver's side kickplate. Laser detector mounted above interior rear view mirror and cable run down A-post. Power cable mounted in ash tray area with wire running out and back through ashtray compartment (you can't even see power plug when ashtray door closed). With unit in place you can't really see the bracket or any wiring anywhere - all done without cutting or drilling anything. Guess it might have taken me an hour or so, two at the max.

Hope that helps. I can try and take and upload pictures if you need them.
Old 02 January 2004, 01:14 PM
Taylor.m
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ive got this unit is it supposed to click in to the cradle.mine sometimes pops out.It just seems to rest on the cradle.
Old 02 January 2004, 01:32 PM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

Doesn't so much 'click' into place but should hold there fairly securely. You place the B2 into its cradle by inserting it at a slight angle (bottom close in to cradle, top maybe tilted 1cm away) - once the bottom is firmly sitting on the cradle a magnet in the unit then pulls the top in towards the back. Once it is in place you should find that the unit does not come off if you lift it straight up compared to the cradle - to take it off you pull the top of the unit towards you slightly as you lift off and this should then clear the 'hook' on the cradle that keeps it secure.
Old 03 January 2004, 01:18 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

cheers stevie, sound straight forward enough. just got to hide the wires and make it look neate. everyone seems to rate this unit i take it you do too?
Old 03 January 2004, 03:40 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

Iain, have you bought it yet? If not I can get you a good deal on one Mate of mine sells them Hope this helps