ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Prodrive Live!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2003, 08:47 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had the good fortune to inherit someones place at Prodrive Live today, as he wanted to watch the Rugby! Firstly I'd like to thank Sean (if you get the chance to read this) for passng this day onto me.

Right, so for those that don't know, the day consisted of:
- 4x4 off road driving
- skid pan training
- Impreza STi Rally session on handling course

Our group started with the 4x4 off road driving, and I must admit at first I just though, pah, well I s'pose this will fill a gap while I wait for the skid pan and rally bit..... My opinion soon changed however, I've never experienced 4x4 off roading before, but I would definitely like to have another go! It was amazing how much you can get away with in a Land Rover defender and how they can tackle almost any terrain. For a first timer is was quite nerve racking, but immensely enjoyable. The instructor was a sessoned 4x4 driver, and a good laugh, but provided very clear and concise instructions and made you push yourself to try that little bit harder. Had a big grin after completing that course, nice start to the day.

Then onto the skid pan training in a BMW 330, which on/off switches for ABS and DSC! Now, I've never really liked BMWs, but as much as I hate to say it, I was very impressed with this bit of kit. Our instructor was great, a wealth of knowledge and very skilled behind the wheel, but again, he was able to communicate the technical side very clearly to us simpletons. The track area used is specially designed to create driving conditions equivilent to 3"s of snow (if memory services me right). First we did a run with ABS & DSC on, and try to get the car out of shape, which we suceeded but only by confusing the DSC. Then we did a run without ABS, trying to break fully on and partly on the slippery surface. Then we did a run without ABS or DSC and had to try to throw the car into a skid/slid, which wasn't hard, and catch it, and get control back. All the time our instructor was giving us feed back on what we should or shouldn't do next. We each got to do several runs covering the above, it certainly opens your eyes as to how easily you could end up in read trouble on the road. Again, really enjoyed this part too, and learnt a few things.

Right, the final part was driving the Group N (ish) STi7. This was good fun, very tight track and lots of things you could hit if you b&&&ered something up! Again, the instruction given was excellent, I don't think I could be as calm as these guys that sit in the passenger seat while a complete stranger (and novice) drives a 320Bhp car round a tight circuit. With the help of the instructor I learnt a fair bit about the car, as well as the driver (me), and areas I need to concentration on. The course kept you thinking and on your toes - btw it's -100 points if you hit the armco - I didn't, and don't believe anyone else did today.

As a treat the instructor takes each group round the course (4 up, 5 point harnesses) after everyone has finished their go. All I will say is it was an amazing experiencing, and great finishing touch to the day.

After which lunch is served and prizes given out to the top three drivers, based on how each driver listened and improved via the instruction given.

So was it worth getting up at 5:40am this morning to get up there from Surrey - damn right it was!

So, thanks to all at Prodrive Live today for making it an excellent day. And Andy, if you read this, I will be intouch.

Cheers, Alex
Old 22 November 2003, 08:59 PM
woody2
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good day out.
Old 22 November 2003, 09:05 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Woody2 - yes it is, its a fun day out and there is the opportunity to learn a few things if you want to. Still grinning

Alex

PS. I'm going to pop round to see one of my neighbours tomorrow, as he does a load of 4x4 off road stuff - gonna see if I can tag along next time - great fun.

[Edited by DrEvil - 11/22/2003 9:07:02 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 11:06 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

My experience a few months ago.

Old 22 November 2003, 11:50 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

BAH - top day isn't...

Mike wasn't there today, cos it was wet outside!
Old 23 November 2003, 09:49 AM
GRIFFS STI
Scooby Regular

what sort of cost is involved in these days and how do you go about booking?
cheers
jason
Old 23 November 2003, 10:49 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Griff - not sure how you book them, as this was passed on to me, I'll try and find out when I get back to work tomorrow.

Rgds, Alex