Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding / Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 10:33 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The eternal question that keeps popping into my mind.

I want to beef up my my03 wrx. but I cant decide what to do. I have 2 areas of thought

Hand over £1600 to subaru UK / prodrive for PPP and get 265bhp. Keep the warranty maybe add a little value to the resale value of the car ??.

or go for a tek 3 remap, decat centre, back box and maybe induction. I reckon this would be closer to £1200 but will it offer better results than PPP anybody done something similair and dyon'd the car.

As regard to the warranty will the subaru dealer make a note it is modified when it is next serviced ?. or if something goes wrong could i have the standard parts put back on and make a claim ?. will the whole warranty be void or just engine / drivetrain ?.
Old 17 November 2003, 10:56 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are two camps to this ongoing issue.
1) Leave ya car alone or Prodrive it and retain the warranty. All fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that or
2) Modify it and trust that nothing will go wrong with it. I did the second one because I figured that the car would be reliable to start and all i was doing was changing the exhaust and air filter. This actually helps the engine to work. The chances of actually blowing up I figured IMHO were extremely slim. I enjoyed the extra BHP and Sound from about month 3 of buying it. Last autumn (I think) the DAWES went on. Again I figured that the engine was not being over stressed and after much debate (Some of it rational and some of it, I admit with hindsight was a bit flipant) decided to roll with it. That's been on my car now for a year or so with no ill effects.
I took my car to a dealer a few months back and got the clutch changed under warranty I was expecting all the warranty void stuff but it didn't happen. I booked it in, came back a few hours later, signed and drove off with a new clutch. I was either really lucky or the warranty void thing is just scare mongering by the dealers.
I suppose that had my engine blown up, it would have been a different story, due to the extra costs involved, but I for 1 am sooooo glad I didn't wait 3 years before enjoying my scoob properly.
So what's the moral? It depends on the type of person you are. a) Safe and secure (Nothing wrong with that) or
b)Trusting in Subaru's ability to make a car that will not blow up if tuned moderatley and logically.
Mikey <MY00 57k ish on the clock, mostly modded miles >
Old 17 November 2003, 11:17 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I think you were lucky(ish) with the clutch, they may have claimed the extra power had damaged it (!)

How much is a new engine. If you mod it and get detonation or boost spikes and the engine failes, I think you would have no chance of claiming on the warranty. This engine does seem a bit sensitive if not modded carefully.

Old 17 November 2003, 11:40 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

does the tek3 have a "off" feature to enable the factory maps ??.

and what cat remvoal can you get away with, while still having some hope of getting through the mot ??. neither down, centre both ??.

cheers

Peter
Old 17 November 2003, 01:12 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

"IF" the gen PPP kit is fitted, a log is put against the vehicles details at Subaru Uk, so all dealers know its had a PPP fitted, plus you get a "authorised fitment" card which goes into the service pack, so any dealer then knows its a "gen kit". If something fails on your motor and the other kit has been fitted,it is too easy for a dealer to check for authorised mod kit fitment, so giving you a call to say no warranty available.
I'd be careful and think twice,or at least untill out of warranty perhaps.