ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Does everyone wanna race a scooby?????

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2000, 09:13 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Being quite new to the frills of scooby driving Im still find it hard to put my car away at night I just wanna be out in it all the time, the only thing is it seem like everyone wants to sit about 2 inches from bumper and edge me on to let rip, this can be quite amusing and fun at times but it can also be an annoyance....is it just the people where I live or does anyone else have this problem..??
Old 19 May 2000, 09:41 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

There are members of the muppet family in most places.....

Personally, I seem to get the most hassle from people in VW/Audi TDi 110 cars - they seem to think that their cars are invincible!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 19 May 2000, 10:03 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Thats what I mean it seems to be all the cars that would have no hope of ever keeping up with a scooby that want a go...can you believe Ive even had FIAT cinecetto trying on.....PLEASE!!!!

Sean
Old 19 May 2000, 10:13 AM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

In an ideal world i think i would get the Mod to arm my car with a couple of missiles for the prats in Vauxhall novas............

Only had the car since March and because of their antics nearly lost it (i.e. written off) about 7 times already.

I would dearly like to take them to one of my jobs when i have to cut someone out of a car........Or hose whats left of them out of a street light.

m.
Old 19 May 2000, 01:21 PM
Scutter
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Guys,
use the headlight washers. The jets spray upwards from the bottom of the headlights at just the right angle to fly past your Scooby and on to the tailgater behind. It works wonders on the 9 out of 10 people who don't even realise their too close until you point it out to them (does Bu**** all in the case of brainless nutters except make them even more determined to "take a Scooby"). You generally get the same response.... winscreen wipers on and a sudden increase in the distance between your rear end and their nose.

Try it, it works, after all the headlight washers and no good for any else.

Cheers, Ian.
Old 19 May 2000, 01:23 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

As someone said in a recent post, when some *** is 2" off your boot lid, suddenly remember that your headlamps need washing.

Works a treat and is completely innocently done, of course.
Old 19 May 2000, 01:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Half the problem is that people do not realise just how quick Scoobies are, if they did they would not waste their time and humiliate themselves. Just a thought The guy in the Audi TDI/other eurobox has probably got his teenage son in the car with him yelling why haven't you got one of those?' and 'go on dad you can do it' or 'i've driven on of those on Grand Tourismo 2 and they are cool, will your car keep up?'. I have lost count of the number of times i have had someone 'up my **** (so to speak), cut in in front of me, race me off the lights. The trick is not rise to it, you get wound up and the d**k head wins. they're only jealous.
P.S.
I was quietly minding my own business and pottering down the M1 this week in the inside lane at around 90-95 when a Volkswagen sprinter passed me like i was standing still. maybe it's time to change vehicles and think of all the duty free i can get in the back ov me vaaan!
Old 19 May 2000, 01:49 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

But Paul, everyone knows that the Astramax is the fastest vehicle in the UK...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 19 May 2000, 01:57 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the same problem as bladernnr round my way except my main max heads are Xrpoo's
or RS'S the latter tend to stick around a bit longer until I get one or two roundabouts involved then its see yaaaaaaaaaa...
Old 19 May 2000, 02:07 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Strange....

I find that most of the Nova Possey leave me well alone... In fact most of them cant pull away slow enough tying to look like they dont want to bother. I am sure that they know full well its not worth it so dont want to look silly. My car is an early one in green so does not look that scary compaired to a lot of scoobys.

The BMW repmobiles (an audis) sill seem to think they are the up for it though and are driven by aggressive morons. Interstingly BMW drivers think that its becuase we are jelous of thier BMW and the fact that they must be "successfull"!, Well I could buy a BMW any time I fancied But I WONT coz they are too-often driven by plonkers.
Old 19 May 2000, 02:28 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

All I'd like to say is... thank gawd this happens to other people!!!!!

When I had the Impreza 1.6 (Irish), could not pull up to the lights with out hearing the sound of the car next to rev'ing!

But now I have a 5dr sport and it does seem to happen as much, but still get BMW and Audi drivers tail-gating me, which isn't fun when you have a child on broad!!! d**kheads!

Cheers
Old 19 May 2000, 02:29 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I find the XRGiTTurboGTE Max Power brigade like to go for it a bit, especialy if they get a good start off the lights, but a quick stab of the right foot shows who is in command then they just sort of give a half hearted chase, Unless you go to Brighton Sea Front on a Saturday night, its a friggin night mare, I dont mind too much until I'm about 5 miles from home then its bye bye time, I dont like anyone following me.

It is definatly the 318 BMW drivers who think that they ae driving a dragster
Old 19 May 2000, 02:30 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

P.S. I was beaten on the motorway by a VW lupo!!!!!
Old 19 May 2000, 02:31 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

On the Nova/Scooby thread..

I remember reading an article by Quentin Wilson in TopGear magazine.

He was saying how idiotic the Max Power mentality is, when some snotty 18 year old buys a shed of a Nova, spends thousands upon thousands on their 1.6 litre car, so that it looks cool. Huge 18" alloys, paint job, induction kits etc.

By the end of it, they've spent upwards of £12K on a 8 year old crate, when they could have just gone and bought a 2nd-hand Impreza which is superior in every aspect and far far safer !

As for tailgaters, I think it happens in whatever you drive. It's just in a Scooby you know you can wipe the floor with the tosser behind you, but they're not worth losing your license over.

So you have to let them by (secretly hoping to see them 3 miles up the road in a ditch).

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 19-05-2000).]
Old 19 May 2000, 02:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've been left alone by the Max Power Krew so far, maybe it's something to do with it being a Wagon

I was expecting trouble the other night as 'da krew' were out in force on the front of the petrol forecourt where I was filling up (Shell station in St Johns in Tunbridge Wells, in case you're wondering) and I thought I was going to get some nova up me bum when I came out, but no, they left well alone, they did have a good old look though!

I agree with the BMW driver comment, they seem to think that because it's a BMW, they, and thier car is far better than anything else on the road and we should move over to let them through, especial ly as your in a 'jap estate' Suffice to say that I let them tailgate me for a while (sorry mate, did not see you flashing your lights, must be due to my blacked out rear window!) and then I let them pass and either a) I leave it at that so that they keep their ego intact (and my licence intact) or b) I'd pull back out and tailgate them, and if they don't move on goes the full beam, and the foggies, until they decide to pull over. I've not done 'b' yet as I'm a nice guy, but SuzyQ would, and she'd probably chase the geezer for a very long time! (that's girlies for you )
Old 19 May 2000, 02:55 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Dont you find you get the most satisfaction from the BMW drivers though.....wiping that smug look of there smarmy faces as you take on the outside of a roundabout or totally cane them away from lights.....that has got to be one of lifes little pleaseures...
Old 19 May 2000, 03:07 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought the cossie and scoobie were bad for this untill i bought the westfield. On the open road nothing gets a chance to come close to me but in town, everyone wants to try it on.

I even had a citroen saxo try it on the other day, oh please, it's very sad.
Old 19 May 2000, 03:32 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Must of you are lucky as you have a turbo, so when it gets to hot, you depress the loud pedal and your gone!!! :-) , but in the sport you don't have that accelleration, well not in the 5dr, anyway! So you bit your lip and let them pass, knowing that they've got to their mates saying how their car beat an Impreza!!!,

Now that, really gets up my nose!
Old 19 May 2000, 03:45 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had a Vectra come up behind me the other day on a 2 mile straight (nothing coming the other way) he wouldn't pass me, was so close I could only see his windscreen in the rear mirror. I had my daughter in the car (2yrs) so I certainly wasn't going to play. He turned off at the end of the straight thankfully. Its a difficult situation, if you slow down he would not have been able to avoid me, if you accelerate you just run the risk of the same situation at a higher speed.

Still theres idiots about who will give you haslte whatever your driving.
Old 19 May 2000, 03:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

bob, you aint driving quick enough mate.
My sport is plenty quick enough to see off the max power brigade.
Old 19 May 2000, 03:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

andy, try a bit of left foot braking, dont loose any speed by keeping a steady throttle but the brake lights come on. It usually $hits up the moron sat an inch off your bumper.
Old 19 May 2000, 03:55 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Mid week. 40 mph zone. Narrow suburban roads. 6pm. Going 40mph. Small car behind me (at a safe distance) also going approx 40mph. BMW flew past car behind and is close behind, like he wants to race and prove his lowered BMW is faster. I did not react. Kept to the speed limit and he disappeared of on a left trun. Good riddance.
Old 19 May 2000, 06:41 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I wonder if hearing and seeing an anti-lag system in action might help "them" remember sensible following distances and roadgoing ettiquete? Just a fantasy, of course!
Old 19 May 2000, 09:44 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

It can be other Scooby drivers that fancy themselves as Dicky Burns as well. I was tailgated by a neutered Scooby (turbo-less) near Aylesbury the other day. He weaved and dodged like a 5 year old with a full bladder looking for a loo, until he got past. Oops, he wasn't aware of the Gatso, I was, oh dear, never mind, what a shame .

Ken
Old 19 May 2000, 09:57 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Cool

You lot think you have problems!!! Try being a girlie and antagonising the max power brigade!(Its great).I,ve only had the scoob 3 weeks and someone has a pop virtually every day.Doh one day i might let them overtake.Anyway going for a spin to santa pod on sunday it would be nice to meet some of you lot.see you there.DIA8.
Old 19 May 2000, 11:04 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

I have 2 vehicles snd I will tell you exactly what happens.

Toyota Landcruiser days - nobody tailgates, they just pass you, no plonker ever dares to pull out in front me or cut me up.

Impreza days - who's this **** in the white Astra 2 inches off my back bumper, oh look he is now undertaking me. Next, some plonker in a Mondeo repmobile sitting next to me at the lights, revving his engine, I look at him and laugh, light goes amber, he is off, I sit and laugh. Some silly old dear has just pulled out in front of me, slam on brakes, **** on my tail misses me and ends up on pavement.

Stuart

ps - just off to fill up my washers.
Old 19 May 2000, 11:27 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

And when the morons do overtake you in a 30mph school zone at the time when the kids are coming out of school, is there a Police car around to catch them..... NEVER. If you spoke to them about it later they would NEVER admit that they were in the wrong, I know I have tried it.
Old 20 May 2000, 01:48 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I keep meaning to go on a few test drives. Turn up in my car, get to test some other nice cars... elise, M3, evo 6... but then I never get around to it... too busy having fun in my scooby. Oh, and I did drive an Evo6 recently... nice car, lot's of potential but it does seem to insulate the driver from the action more than a scoob... and it's too slow.
Old 20 May 2000, 09:23 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

And don't get me started on people who overtake on chevron centre sections of the road, running up to a turning.

The number of times I've gone to turn right, to find a dweeb coming the other way, overtaking a line of traffic, using the chevron'd bit as his lane, leaving me nowhere to go..
Old 20 May 2000, 11:02 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yeah what is it about BMW drivers. They seem to think they own the roads and always want to race no matter what. On a motorway the slightlest gap you leave they'll always try and squeeze inwithoiut indicating leaving you to jump on the brakes waycvhing the cars in your rearview mirror rapidly closing. Tw*ts. BMW = Briandead Macho @ankers

Also have problems with Volvo drivers who seem to think because they are driving a car with all the safety featrues availble , they can drive 2 inches behind you safely !!

I had an Audi S2 try and race my through some urban roads. Just let the irresponsible jerk past .. bet he felt really big. Its these types of idiots that give performance cars a bad name.

General standard of driving seems to have got better over the last few years with more people using the inside laneon motorways/ A roads and realising the outside lane of the motorway isn't a fast lane but an overtaking lane.

AllanB

Quick Reply: Does everyone wanna race a scooby?????