Continued Car Woes-Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2000, 01:51 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,

Further to my recent thread with above title (minus Part 2), my Scoob spent three days in the dealership while they attempted to locate the intermittent mis-fire that has plagued it for a couple of months.

When I collected it, (last Friday), they stated that the no.3 plug was faulty so they had replaced it and all was ok. It was, until yesterday! Got the car out of the garage first thing and it was hesitant and lumpy, occasionally lapsing onto three cylinders. Couple of miles later all ok.
On the way home, this time when warm, I pulled out of a junction and it died, spluttering and gasping with only a nail of the throttle and clutch dump stopping me being terminated by an 18 wheeler.

So, (sigh), called the dealer and its booked in again next Thursday. The dealer has been very good since I sourced the car from them, but they don't seem as confident this time, that they are going to locate the fault.
"If your check engine light does not come on when the misfire occurs, then it won't show on the ECU. It could be almost impossible to locate unless this light triggers a fault report"
So, is it worth me taking my car to Power Engineering as I've heard great things about them. I know I'll have to pay but the alternative will almost certainly mean getting rid of it, as I can't really use it for any distance in case it breaks down again

And do you know what the worst part is?
All the smug as sh*t Beemer owners at work saying, "You see? You wouldn't listen. When will you learn that BMW is the best....blah blah.....surrender to the herd....bleat bleat etc"

Yours Utterly Miserably
blubs
Old 17 May 2000, 02:28 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know I'm gonna regret saying this..

But I'd recommend you didn't take your car to Power Engineering, as folklore has it that cars going in with NO running problems come out with lots of running problems.

I have no personal experience with them (other than them supplying the wrong sized induction kit, mutter mumble..) but this is the gist of threads running from October to now, which caused me to cancel my mods with them.

Ask Anders about them..

I spent hours and hours (just ask the bored missus) researching chip mods on this BBS and it didn't come out favourable for Power Engineering, in terms of customer satisfaction, not just Anders.

Plus, any tinkering by a non-Subaru dealer MAY invalidate your warranty.

Caveat emptor.

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 17-05-2000).]
Old 17 May 2000, 02:56 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Hmmm I would sort of agree with what David's saying although too much of previous threads has been "Well Anders had a problem so they're cr@p - lets slag them off". There's no smoke without fire but no garage is perfect at all. Dave Power has considerable experience with Fords so must know a fair amount about turbocharged cars. Ok Anders did have a nasty experience but I remember before that, everyone was singing PE's praises for their Phase I upgrade (I think it was).

I guess you could ask for names and numbers of satisfied customers of PE and talk to them before going there.
Old 17 May 2000, 04:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I wouldn't recommend them either... but then the phase one has now cost me ~£3500 (including 3 remap attempts to cure det and a turbo replacement! ) and it's not even in the car anymore... so I must be wrong to not recommend them as I am only not doing so because they did a bad job on my car... ho hum...

I think Bob is satisfied with his phase one.

I would simply urge caution when considering letting Power Engineering play around with your engine or ecu.

Moray
(Ignore my opinion because it's not favourable! )
Old 17 May 2000, 05:28 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

On a positive note, where are you in the country ?

People will then be able to point you in the direction of some clued-up people.

If you can go to Leicester, I would recommend
Roger Clark Motorsport who are very knowledgeable about Subarus - (01455) 828610.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 18 May 2000, 08:23 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Guys,

I'm in North Wales (close to Chester), but the story has another twist now.

On my way home from work last night, the 'check engine' light came on. I stopped and phoned the dealler on the mob and they said it was ok to drive home but if the light was still on then, to not drive it and they will pick it up. The light went out just as I arrived home.
The car is now booked in this evening and my dealer is hoping the 'check engine' light will have triggered a download of the problem onto the ECU.
Mind you, they have also got a cancelled order of a MY00,DBM with 17" Speedlines and Prodrive mods (don't know exactly what). Hmmmmm.

blubs
Old 18 May 2000, 11:00 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Talking

blubs,
I would be glad to let you loan my reliable BMW at any time you wish to go more than 37 ft from your house

Geezer

Old 18 May 2000, 01:35 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Blubs:

Read my Diary
Old 18 May 2000, 03:23 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Geezer,

Problem is, I wouldn't want to go further than 37ft from my house in a BMW. (In case the chicks see me ).

blubs.

ps Shut yer face
Old 18 May 2000, 03:32 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

blubs,
You could go out in a convertible Ferrari and the chicks still wouldn't look at you!!!

How's your wifes guide dog, by the way?

Geezer